West Webster Street Park At 1913 Gillette St.

WestGrayGuy

I managed to get ahold of a plan for the plot of land bounded by Bailey, West Webster, Gillette and cook streets. From what I understand this plan was universally disliked at the inital meeting. Have a look:

http://www.bcbc.info/promos/park1.jpg

Probably the "Dog Run". Watch out for those land mines! :blush:

I would think that would be well received by the people who live in that area. In fact, it is currently a de facto dog park. I see lots of people gathering in this space to mingle with their nieghbors and their four legged friends.

Personally, I like the design.

as far as land mines go, I don't think that will be an issue. A dog owner that would bring their pet to a park would be responsible to pick up their waste.

I just find it curious how the dog run is almost the same size as the playground.

Then again, as parents are amazingly paranoid or phobic about a variety of things these days, I shouldn't be surprised.

I too am mystified as to what objections people would have to this park. Looks pretty nice to me.

Several years ago, there was a proposal to acquire a large vacant lot in my neighborhood (Westmoreland) and convert it into a pocket park. The neighborhood association opposed the proposal; my understanding was that there were concerns about homeless people congregating there.

Would giving this vacant land park status limit police powers to control 'undesirable elements'? Or is there some other factor of which we might be unaware?

Guest danax
Several years ago, there was a proposal to acquire a large vacant lot in my neighborhood (Westmoreland) and convert it into a pocket park. The neighborhood association opposed the proposal; my understanding was that there were concerns about homeless people congregating there.

Would giving this vacant land park status limit police powers to control 'undesirable elements'? Or is there some other factor of which we might be unaware?

I think people fear small neighborhood parks for the homelessness, crime potential, noise and parking. Things happen at parks. They're gathering places and, once they're in, it's hard to control who gathers there. HPD are limited in what they can do. A vacant lot, on the other hand, is fairly benign, and can even be a positive feature as it might offer a quiet zone where nothing happens.

The Webster park sounds fairly harmless. No basketball goals or recreational facilities for teens keeps a lot of the above problems away. It might sounds like NIMBYism run amuck but they might just be thinking better safe than sorry.

• 2 years later...

Webster between Gilette and Bailey, three blocks East of Taft. It's an open block in the middle of townhomes in the 4th Ward. A friend who was one of the first townhouse buyers near there told me that there were environmental issues with that lot, so no houses were built on it. I don't know that for sure, but it's plausible.

• The title was changed to West Webster Street Park At 1913 Gillette St.