Your fastest internet connection

Whenever I'm someplace new I like to see how fast the internet connection is. I don't know why I do this, I just do. Some places I remember:

Home -- 6 megabits down, 768k up.

Starbucks -- always 1.5 megabits down, and 768 kilobits up.

Caribou Coffee -- 2 megabits down, 512k up.

Tethered to EDGE on an Amtrak train today -- 102k down. Unknown up.

The hotel I was in yesterday -- 768 kilobits down, 512 kilobits up.

I use the Speedtest.net site for these tests, because that's the one the AT&T tech used when he installed my DSL at home. I figure if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this message is because just now I got an absolutely incredible result:

60 MEGABITS DOWN!

Here's the Speedtest results: 575135343.png

I've never had such a fast connection. So, what about you? What kind of speeds are you guys getting? I know we have a couple of HAIFers on OC-12 lines.

I guess they round up to get to 3. I pay for 6 and you see what I get. LOL

I'm sure it varies throughout the day. It probably says "up to 3MBps" somewhere too.

I'm curious to try it from the office tomorrow, where all the external internet/download stuff acts slower because of firewall nonsense, but should be a way faster connection.

I havent checked my speed in months... I have to admit, Im impressed. This is over Wireless-G at home.

576457239.png

Hubba-bubba. Sweet!

I'm sure it varies throughout the day. It probably says "up to 3MBps" somewhere too.

I'm curious to try it from the office tomorrow, where all the external internet/download stuff acts slower because of firewall nonsense, but should be a way faster connection.

Since I have never gotten the claimed 6MB down I figure they do mean "up to." LOL

Okay, now you're just showing off...

*sheepishly asks*

What does a faster ping time mean?

Look closely, my test result above was with Dallas... the fastest of the three results.

A ping is how fast the remote server responds to a request. So the round trip time for a packet of data was 5ms... extremely fast for a remote server, even if it is in the same city.

The faster the ping time, the faster the overall download/upload speed since more packets can be sent.

It is especially important for things like VOIP service that relys on a very steady data stream.

I have faster ping times out of Dallas too ... but my overall speed is about the same.

Oh well ... thanks for the explanation of ping.

Your service is being capped, so in that respect a faster ping wont show up in this test.

BTW, assuming you are running windows, goto start->run->cmd, then type ping 192.168.1.1 (assuming that is the IP address of the ATT router) and check out your ping time... chances are its more than 5ms... which makes editors results even that much more impressive.

My ping time to my own router is 14ms (again, over Wireless-G). Im too lazy to get off the recliner right now.

Your service is being capped, so in that respect a faster ping wont show up in this test.

BTW, assuming you are running windows, goto start->run->cmd, then type ping 192.168.1.1 (assuming that is the IP address of the ATT router) and check out your ping time... chances are its more than 5ms... which makes editors results even that much more impressive.

My ping time to my own router is 14ms (again, over Wireless-G). Im too lazy to get off the recliner right now.

Funny you mention that. When I upgraded from 3 to 6 down, they basically just threw a switch while I was on the phone and poof! I had faster Internet.

So I guess they could presumably pump just about any speed to any house.

BTW, nope ... on a Mac.

576115181.png

Strangely enough, I pay for the 3MBps u-verse speed, and that's what it is.

I pay for the 3 MBps as well, and I had the exact same results...at least they're consistent! I really don't download many large files so it's been just fine for me...

I pay for the 3 MBps as well, and I had the exact same results...at least they're consistent! I really don't download many large files so it's been just fine for me...

Just re-route your downloads through dallas... you'll pick up 3x the speed apparently.

Since I have never gotten the claimed 6MB down I figure they do mean "up to." LOL

Even if you're getting a six megabit connection, you're never going to get six megabits of data through, because of all the overhead. DSL is about 85% efficient. Explanation here: http://pflog.net/dsl_overhead/

Every transmission method has overhead. Got cable internet? There's overhead. Connected to your router via Ethernet? More overhead. Router's wireless? More overhead.

I don't know which method has more overhead -- DSL or Cable, but I suspect it depends a lot of whether your cable company is transmitting DOCSIS 2 or 3.

Funny you mention that. When I upgraded from 3 to 6 down, they basically just threw a switch while I was on the phone and poof! I had faster Internet.

So I guess they could presumably pump just about any speed to any house.

They can pump any speed to your house up to the limits of the copper wire, and the speed of your DSL modem. When phone companies run into that limit, they start installing fiber directly into the home.

BTW, nope ... on a Mac.

Doesn't matter if you're on a Mac. It's an internet address, not a Windows thing. You just have a different DSL modem. The address he's talking about is the address of your cable modem. It's probably on a sticker on the bottom of the unit. You can also read it from the Networking panel in System Preferences on your Mac.

How is this helpful? Isn't this just more telling of whatever server you connect to for the test as opposed to the connection on your end ?

It's a test of the connection between your computer and another machine near the internet backbone. That's why you're supposed to pick the server that's appropriate for your ISP. The web site can't tell where your connection physically connects through, which is why it asks you to pick rather than automatically selecting and running one for you. If you don't know where your connection joins the internet, then the numbers and server locations won't mean anything to you.

The fact that you're getting a higher data rate through Dallas shows that that's probably where you're connection goes. Obviously, you got a lower number when you picked Bellingham, Washington because no one's going to lay a direct line from suburban Houston to Washington State. That would defeat the purpose of the internet.

The fact that you're getting a higher data rate through Dallas shows that that's probably where you're connection goes. Obviously, you got a lower number when you picked Bellingham, Washington because no one's going to lay a direct line from suburban Houston to Washington State. That would defeat the purpose of the internet.

My comcast connection, less than 2 miles from downtown houston, deciding it's fastest to connect with a server 400 miles away in dallas also defeats the purpose of the internet.

My connection at work with half the ping, is still nearly twice as slow as my connection at home on 3 yr old wireless router sharing a connection with another laptop. How does that make any sense ?

577012502.png576503123.png

Archived