Your fastest internet connection

My comcast connection, less than 2 miles from downtown houston, deciding it's fastest to connect with a server 400 miles away in dallas also defeats the purpose of the internet.

My connection at work with half the ping, is still nearly twice as slow as my connection at home on 3 yr old wireless router sharing a connection with another laptop. How does that make any sense ?

577012502.png576503123.png

If you spend the majority of your time connecting to servers that are in Houston, then you would be correct. However, most webservers are not sitting in Houston... so that fact that most of your data gets routed through Dallas is not a problem.

Work may limit bandwidth in order to ensure the pipe never gets overloaded. Anytime you check speeds from work, dont assume that you are getting 100% of the pipe...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice! I'm lucky to get 5Mbps on my DSL. Over wireless it says I'm only getting 2.81 Mb/s download. With a direct connection I usually average about 4.5 Mbps.

EDIT - Just re-ran the test...

575515201.png

I re-ran this and noticed that the Houston server is no longer available to test. Also, it's interesting that my download speed is slower coming from Austin than from Dallas, Chicago, NY, and San Jose.

628575969.png

628572317.png

628573174.png

628569087.png

628567148.png

Archived