Travelers Hotel At 112 Main St.

tetherman

Does anyone remember the old "Traveler's" Hotel low-down on Main street near the via-dock? My wife spent much time there as a child (in the 40's) with her Aunt and Uncle, who managed the hotel. Does anyone know where to find photos or historical info on this establishment?

Thanks

The Travellers Hotel and Cafe was in the 100 block of Main on the West side of the street in the middle of the block. A quick check of Google and it looks like the building is still there. Unless I messed up somewhere the arrow is pointing at the building

100_Main.jpg

Then I am clearly thinking of another hotel that once stood across the street from it. My mistake. Thanks for weighing in and correcting me.

As I recall, the Hotel was the narrowest of the 3 narrow buildings in the middle of that block. Proceeding away from the bayou on Main, you encounter the Hotel, then the Cafe.

These photos are from

"The last of the past : Houston architecture, 1847 to 1915": an inventory and architectural stylistic history of remaining early commercial buildings, Houston, Texas, 1980 / by William Scott Field for the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance, the Harris County Heritage Society.

Dorrance_Building_1929.jpg

I used to occasionally eat at Charlie's Barbeque because they were open late

Dorrance_Building_Now.jpg

I actually think my red arrow was one building too far north

Travelers_Hotel_Tile.jpg

U-suredid :rolleyes: , thanks so much for the great pics of the Travelers....beyond my fondest hopes!

BTW, does anyone know where the old Milby Hotel was located?

The Milby Hotel was on the NW corner of Travis and Texas in the 600 block of Travis. The rest of the block on the east side of Travis was taken up by Montgomery Ward. It was across the street from the Iris Theater on Travis and across the street from the Rice Hotel on Texas.

The Milby Hotel was on the NW corner of Travis and Texas in the 600 block of Travis. The rest of the block on the east side of Travis was taken up by Montgomery Ward. It was across the street from the Iris Theater on Travis and across the street from the Rice Hotel on Texas.

yep, and here's a matchbook from the milby - no address on it, but the directory listed it at 902 texas, and the barber shop at 607 travis

milbymb_001.jpgmilbymb_002.jpg

If i recall correctly, this building was built around 1905 and had the top floor added in the 20's or 30's. Unfortunately, my files are all in an obscure word processing format from the 90's that can't access at this time! It was originally used as an office building catering to the cotton industry.

If i recall correctly, this building was built around 1905 and had the top floor added in the 20's or 30's. Unfortunately, my files are all in an obscure word processing format from the 90's that can't access at this time! It was originally used as an office building catering to the cotton industry.

it was located at the chase bank parking garage

These photos are from

"The last of the past : Houston architecture, 1847 to 1915": an inventory and architectural stylistic history of remaining early commercial buildings, Houston, Texas, 1980 / by William Scott Field for the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance, the Harris County Heritage Society.

Dorrance_Building_1929.jpg

I used to occasionally eat at Charlie's Barbeque because they were open late

Dorrance_Building_Now.jpg

I actually think my red arrow was one building too far north

Travelers_Hotel_Tile.jpg

the current location is club Copa Cabana the inside is completly diffrent

• 1 month later...

the Houston Architectural Survey (volume 1) states that it was built in 1903 by John M. Dorrance, a cotton broker, and it cost $17,000 to build.

around 1930 it was called the Metropolitan building, and then in 1931 the Traveler's Hotel moved in, and added the fifth floor.

the hotel went out of business in the late seventies, and Charlies BBQ was still located in the ground floor while the upper floors remained vacant.

the Houston Architectural Survey (volume 1) states that it was built in 1903 by John M. Dorrance, a cotton broker, and it cost $17,000 to build.

around 1930 it was called the Metropolitan building, and then in 1931 the Traveler's Hotel moved in, and added the fifth floor.

the hotel went out of business in the late seventies, and Charlies BBQ was still located in the ground floor while the upper floors remained vacant.

By calling itself "fireproof", the Hotel Tennison might have been tempting fate the same way as the "unsinkable" Titantic had done.

• 7 years later...
  • The title was changed to Travelers Hotel At 112 Main St.

Archived