Cap Parks Over I-69

The City of Houston has renderings of the proposed Cap Parks over the soon-to-be-trenched I-69 at Fannin, Caroline, and Almeda at the link below:

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/nhhip/midtown/public-open-house-midtown.pdf 

The buildings in the rendering are speculative and subject to Rice University's plans.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Toopicky said:

The Fannin and Caroline caps along with the "garden" bridges appear way to chopped up in my opinion .... i wonder why they decided to do so instead of making it one cap with a continuous park area like they did next to  Eado?

18 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

Yep smh

I agree, yet I don't. No reason they can't do it later, but I honestly hold out for buildings to cap those portions. That would be interesting.

7 hours ago, Toopicky said:

The Fannin and Caroline caps along with the "garden" bridges appear way to chopped up in my opinion .... i wonder why they decided to do so instead of making it one cap with a continuous park area like they did next to  Eado?

The reason presented to MPNA was ventilation. The freeway is much wider by EaDo and has room to install ventilators. Here, the engineering was apparently more difficult, and by chopping up the parks, ventilators would not be required.

Archived