Northwood

3701 North Main at Pecore Restaurant

Northwood    1

Does anyone know anything about the rehab work taking place in the old fried chicken store on North Main and Pecore? My wife mentioned something about tacos.

There have been homeless camped out in the seating area for months as the store sat vacant.

While I think a Mexican restaurant is the last thing this part of North Main needs, I am certainly glad for any positive movement. Surely the new proprietors will keep the encampment of homeless away.

RedScare    1636
My wife mentioned something about tacos.

Your wife really went out on a limb with that call, huh Northwood? :lol:

minipearl    0

yes, it's true...another Mexican/Cuban joint :)

It's called Taco Diana (I think) and will serve traditional Mex (e.g. tacos, tortas, etc.)

Northwood    1

NOW OPEN - The store has a banner on it this morning announcing that they are open. The name is Taqueria Rico.

Wonder if there is any connection to the Rico's Triangle Rest. a few blocks up the road?

houstonray    0

Yes it is the old KFC. I saw it today and it does indeed look open and was quite busy. Whoever tries it out first, please give us a review!!

Edited by houstonray

Guest Malvoe   
Guest Malvoe

It's hard to get excited about yet ANOTHER mexican restaurant in the Heights. It is better than the bum hangout that was there before, but a little diversity would go a loooooooong way.

Markus    0
It's hard to get excited about yet ANOTHER mexican restaurant in the Heights. It is better than the bum hangout that was there before, but a little diversity would go a loooooooong way.

Agree with ridding the bum hangout.

...But you aren't going to have diversity on that portion N.Main...no matter what.

That place will probably do quite well there, I imagine better than the ones 1/8 mi. north from there.

Posted (edited)

From the Lack of Restaurant Diversity in the Heights thread:

On 5/17/2017 at 0:24 PM, JCR said:

This one at the end of the month.

An additional closure is the Taquito Rico on Main and Pecore also at the end of this month.  The building owner has other plans for that lot.  The business owner will have a taco truck in the same area at some point.

The 8,375 sf lot at 3701 N Main in Woodlands Heights is being redeveloped. Per Loopnet, El Taquito Rico was operating here but their lease ended in December 2016. They had an 5 year option to renew but declined.

7j6w3R4.jpg

obnYfuR.jpg

1bMzoDa.jpg

h9bcpRS.jpg

The property was up for sale or lease and from the rendering below, has been leased or sold. The rendering looks like a Cisneros Design Studio mock up and shows what could be a coffee shop. Revive is developing the property. From Loopnet:

Rare Opportunity to take over 2nd generation Restaurant in the hugely popular Woodland Heights neighborhood. Stand alone restaurant with 10:1000 parking ratio and 350 sf covered Patio and 800 sf outdoor lawn area. Property will be leased as-is.

From the leasing flyer:

OKb7NyB.jpg

JZpHong.jpg

K0ar342.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Triton    8850

That would be awesome to get a coffee shop so close to home, especially closer to the Northside.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2017 at 10:16 AM, Triton said:

That would be awesome to get a coffee shop so close to home, especially closer to the Northside.

A coffee shop would be nice.

mcook2002    19
18 hours ago, Triton said:

Liquor license sign on the window.

did you happen to see the name?