Trails At Palm Center: Affordable Housing At 5635 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

http://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=6966&MeetingID=147

The Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) recommends approval of a Resolution allowing construction of one property applying for competitive 9% housing tax credits (HTCs) allocated by the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) that will be located within one mile of similar properties constructed within the last three years.

Approval of this resolution does not guaranty the property will receive HTCs.  Even though numerous applications are submitted to TDHCA, the amount of available 9% HTCs is very limited.  Only two to four developments are typically funded each year in the Houston region.  It will not be known which, if any, of these projects will receive HTCs until the end of July 2016 when awards are announced at the TDHCA board meeting.

To avoid unwanted concentrations of HTC properties, TDHCA requires that an applicant receive a resolution from the governing body of the municipality where the development is to be located if a similar type of property (for example a property for seniors) built in the last three years and located within one mile of the applicant property also received tax credits.  One property in this year’s round of applications for 9% tax credits fits this criteria:

Trails at Palm Center, 5635 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., is a proposed 100-unit development for families.  The applicant is NH Trails at Palm Center, LP, and the developer is NHP Foundation, a national developer of affordable housing.  HCDD is funding a portion of NHP’s renovation of Cleme Manor, located in District B.

Based on the department’s experience with this developer, and the City’s need for affordable housing for families, HCDD recommends that Council approve the resolution allowing construction of this property. This resolution must be submitted with the Resolution of Support previously approved for the applicants, and is due to TDHCA by March 1, 2016.

This item was reviewed by the Housing and Community Affairs Committee on February 16, 2016.

The tract is across Martin Luther King from the KIPP sheds. It's the undeveloped land just north of the creek and south of 
Cortelyou Ln. There's another tax credit application for a tract near the SE corner of Cullen and Old Spanish Trail. I'd guess only one of these could be awarded the funds due the circumstances quoted, but I'm not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

http://laidesigngroup.com/project_trails_at_palm_center.html#prettyPhoto

Trails at Palm Center is a 90 unit LEED Certified multifamily tax credit apartment community. The site is located generally near the north east corner of Griggs Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in the City of Houston’s Third Ward District. 

The site is uniquely positioned within a 3 minute walk to a light rail stop on Griggs Road. The light rail line extends north to the University of Houston as well as other employment centers such as Downtown. 

The 3.54 acres site accommodates 3 apartment buildings, parking and open space amenities for its residents. Residential accommodations include 10 studio units, 46 one bedroom units and 34 two bedroom units. 

Common area amenities include a leasing office, coordinators office, furnished community rooms, a business center/library, fitness facilities, an outdoor swimming pool, a children’s playscape area, barbecue grilling, play lawns, security fencing and gated controlled access, along with a linear park and open space along the Belmont Gully.

trails_bg_1.png

trails_bg_2.png

trails_bg_3.png

• 1 year later...

It looks like its getting close to finishing. Its right at the station on Griggs. As Ive stated before the brand new library across the street is the nicest library Ive seen in Houston and Dixie Friend Gay's  sculpture "Books of a Feather", 3 ten foot tall tiled birds is remarkable.

I highly recommend seeing both. This is going to be a popular apartment unit and I hope it will spur improvements to the area.

The landscaping on Griggs is really nice. This was part of a Griggs OST landscaping and sidewalks project and it really spruces up the area.

35 minutes ago, bobruss said:

It looks like its getting close to finishing. Its right at the station on Griggs. As Ive stated before the brand new library across the street is the nicest library Ive seen in Houston and Dixie Friend Gay's  sculpture "Books of a Feather", 3 ten foot tall tiled birds is remarkable.

I highly recommend seeing both. This is going to be a popular apartment unit and I hope it will spur improvements to the area.

The landscaping on Griggs is really nice. This was part of a Griggs OST landscaping and sidewalks project and it really spruces up the area.

You're referring to The Village at Palm Center, which is just down the street.

What's the current status of the Trails at Palm Center project? Has construction started? Are they accepting rental applications? 

How long has Village at Palm Center been open? Do they currently have businesses on the ground floor?

I'm moving to Houston soon and have fallen in love with these two projects and also the Palm Center area even though I've not yet visited them.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Trails At Palm Center: Affordable Housing At 5635 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Archived