Damn, it's HOT

rsb320

Seems appropriate to dig this thread up again, now that I'm to the point I hate living here again. Did it get horrible early this year or did my trips to England and Philly in May throw my calibration off? The only good thing about it is I'm digging the popsicles and playing with the hose and inflatable pool in the backyard with the little ones.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe it or not, it is actually COOLER this year than last. Last year, the blast furnace cranked up on June 9, and it never got below 95 degrees the rest of the month, eventually hitting 100 or more for 7 straight days. Every day since the 9th has been a few degrees cooler than 2009. Prior to the 9th some days were warmer, some cooler.

Believe it or not, it is actually COOLER this year than last. Last year, the blast furnace cranked up on June 9, and it never got below 95 degrees the rest of the month, eventually hitting 100 or more for 7 straight days. Every day since the 9th has been a few degrees cooler than 2009. Prior to the 9th some days were warmer, some cooler.

True but, the humidity is higher this year than last.

True but, the humidity is higher this year than last.

Yep. I've been trying to improve my run times lately, and--having lived in a house without air conditioning through much of last summer--the temperatures are bearable. But the dense air make me wish I had something more akin to gills than lungs.

• 1 month later...

I hereby dub this the general weather discussion thread.

July is wet. In fact, maybe this week we'll set a new record for rainfall (at IAH) for July. Total as of yesterday was 12.1 inches, record is 14.8 inches.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/?n=climate_iah_top10_july

Probably not at Hobby unless it's a really wet week (at 12.2 aiming for 17.26).

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/?n=climate_hou_top10_jul

I hereby dub this the general weather discussion thread.

July is wet. In fact, maybe this week we'll set a new record for rainfall (at IAH) for July. Total as of yesterday was 12.1 inches, record is 14.8 inches.

http://www.srh.noaa...._iah_top10_july

Probably not at Hobby unless it's a really wet week (at 12.2 aiming for 17.26).

http://www.srh.noaa....e_hou_top10_jul

I wonder where the measurements were taken prior to IAH and Houston International/Hobby?

Also, what is the phenomenon that causes most of the rain to go up the east side? This is the third year I've been able to observe this from Downtown. Like last year, everywhere else was dry, but sure enough, the east end got it almost every day.

I just saw a bolt of lighting strike, probably between I-45N & US 59, and between the North Loop and North Beltway. It struck and was followed by and orange glow from the ground. I've never seen that before. I'm miles away, downtown. Wonder if that's got a name?

I just saw a bolt of lighting strike, probably between I-45N & US 59, and between the North Loop and North Beltway. It struck and was followed by and orange glow from the ground. I've never seen that before. I'm miles away, downtown. Wonder if that's got a name?

I saw the exact same thing yesterday to the west; around 10 and the Beltway. I can see the Memorial Hermann Robot from my office; there were a couple of stikes just to the north of it and a couple just to the south of it.

• 8 years later...

A bit of a side topic, but we in June we switched from Reliant to Griddy.  For the past two months our energy has been cut by about by half.  Today we are at 1029 kWh and paying 8.9cents/kWh. Very impressed and happy about it so far. 

On 7/20/2019 at 3:47 PM, Urbannizer said:

moo. Seems to be an average summer so far.

Agreed. Most summers the actual temperature is high 90s and low 100s, but this year and last year its only been that high in the "feels like" category. The only thing that has been rough this year has been the humidity. Yuck. Today strangely feels like the first day of fall. Great weather outside today.

Archived