Historic Houston Bands And Orchestras

Vertigo58

7-27-2007-05.jpg

Not sure if there is a topic for old musicians or bands so merge if you need to. My uncle (in white jacket/left) played in a swing band in the late 1940's and early 50's. I am not sure what dance hall this was at but I was told it was on Main Street possibly near what is known as the Near Northside. Most of the dance clubs no longer exist but they sure did swing in their day! Too bad they didnt snap photos of the folks dancing. It's Houston's past! :D

Edited by Vertigo58
  • Like 1

Great pic!

What was the name of this orchestra? And who is who?

This topic could occupy hundreds of posts...

So far I've posted 176 photos from my collection of Texas string bands and orchestras 1930s-1950s (including many Houston groups) on Flicker, in case anyone's interested:

http://flickr.com/photos/30643196@N00/

Wow, you've got some great pictures in there. You should donate them to a museum when you die. I especially like this one:

224977234_f4a95c486d_o.jpg

I know what WAOI is, but TON/TQN is unfamiliar. Any idea what that was? (sorry, I'm an ex-radio nerd)

I know what WOAI is, but TON/TQN is unfamiliar. Any idea what that was? (sorry, I'm an ex-radio nerd)

TQN = Texas Quality Network

From the Handbook of Texas Online:

"In 1934 the state's four largest stations, WBAP in Fort Worth, WFAA in Dallas, WOAI in San Antonio, and KPRC of Houston, formed the Texas Quality Group Network. The stations were connected by telephone lines, established the capacity for simultaneous broadcasts, and commanded a combined night-time power of 101,000 watts. A major factor in the push to share programming was the popularity of the Light Crust Doughboys radio show. The Texas Quality Group Network (or TQN) also featured other regular programs such as "Riding with the Texas Rangers" sponsored by Kellogg and the "Pepper-Uppers" for Dr Pepper. TQN eventually included stations in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana and continued broadcasting into the 1950s."

Alonzo y sus Rancheros were pretty big in this area, no doubt. They also made some records for labels like Alameda, Rio, Falcon, and Ideal.

La Terraza was actually just a revised version of the old Autotel Blue Room, which had been a live music hotspot since at least the early 1940s.

Are their records still available? I'm not sure where I could find one.

I bet some of them are out of copyright by now. You might try the Library of Congress web site, or archive.org. There are a few other sites that specialize in old recordings.

No, but I've got some. Send me your address and I'll mail you a CD.

You might try the Library of Congress web site, or archive.org. There are a few other sites that specialize in old recordings.

Are you serious? Those clowns don't have anything like this.

Arhoolie is the only record company who reissues Tejano music from the vintage days. They have one CD with an Alonzo recording on it:

http://www.arhoolie.com/titles/376.shtml

Houston/Galveston big-band leader Manny Green dies:

Galveston-born big band leader Manny Green died Monday after one of the longest musical careers in Texas history. He was 86.

The orchestra founded by the World War II hero in 1948 drew throngs of dancers to the floors of every major venue in Texas. The Manny Green Orchestra played regularly at the famed Hollywood Dinner Club and the Balinese Room during Galveston's hey-day as a gambling mecca and celebrity playground in the 1940s and early 1950s.

Houstonians filled ballrooms at the city's swanky Shamrock and Rice hotels to dance to Green's original arrangements of popular big-band music. Even a half century after Green formed his orchestra, Houston-area fans were so hooked on his music that they followed his group in buses and cars to ballrooms in San Antonio, Dallas, Corpus Christi and beyond.

Green's orchestra played at the National Republican Convention when it was held in Houston in 1992.

Green, 86, retired in April 2006, laying down his baton after he became oxygen-dependent and began his last, long battle against congestive heart failure and lung cancer.

Green died at his home near Hobby Airport, where he had lived for several years with his "fiance" of 20 years, Frankie Catoe, a former singer with his orchestra.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/5013717.html

Houston/Galveston big-band leader Manny Green dies:

That's what I mean by little by little these greats are passing away.

Most of all of today's generations wouldnt even know who they were or what great strides they made in thier time. The only way we will know is if others tell us about them. We have to know where we came from before we know where we are going. I bet this good man could have told some fantastic stories of yesteryear. I'm into it big time! :D

Edited by Vertigo58

Would anyone here remember, or know anything of, Albino Torres and his orchestra? His son was a good friend of mine in the early 50's, and I was at his house quite often. Part of the house, which was on Lovett Blvd near Montrose, had a music studio where Mr. Torres gave music lessons. I've tried to find something about him and his orchestra, but come up empty. The time-frame would be at least the 40's and 50's.

Would anyone here remember, or know anything of, Albino Torres and his orchestra? His son was a good friend of mine in the early 50's, and I was at his house quite often. Part of the house, which was on Lovett Blvd near Montrose, had a music studio where Mr. Torres gave music lessons. I've tried to find something about him and his orchestra, but come up empty. The time-frame would be at least the 40's and 50's.

Albino Torres was one of the most respected musicians in Houston during the 1940s and 1950s. I'm pretty sure he was classically trained and may have played with the Symphony for a time, but I don't know much about him otherwise. Most of the time he led his own orchestra. I don't think they made any recordings, but an older friend of mine who heard them a few times assured me that they were a top-notch band who played from written arrangements. He said they mostly played to 'high society' dances.

They played at the Empire Room at the Rice Hotel during the '40s. Wish I could go see a band like that play there now!

Albino Torres was one of the most respected musicians in Houston during the 1940s and 1950s. I'm pretty sure he was classically trained and may have played with the Symphony for a time, but I don't know much about him otherwise. Most of the time he led his own orchestra. I don't think they made any recordings, but an older friend of mine who heard them a few times assured me that they were a top-notch band who played from written arrangements. He said they mostly played to 'high society' dances.

They played at the Empire Room at the Rice Hotel during the '40s. Wish I could go see a band like that play there now!

I will ask family they should know about him. PS, the only good music you will hear at The Rice now is on Thursdays when Norma Zentano group plays. She packs em in. At least someone is continueing the tradition.

Be sure to look at Old hotels under historic there are pics of lobby outside of The Rice Empire Room. One of the chandeliers was saved and now hangs at the Shriner's Temple Ballroom over on Braeswood and that place will be torn down this next year, sadly enough. :(

PS, under Holy Places, there is a pic of interior of Guadalupe Church. The guy getting married is Manuel Mendiola he was band leader for Manuel Mendiola & The Exiles in the mid 60's here and all over Texas. I still consider him my brother in law. He is still in Near North Side.

Edited by Vertigo58

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Just an FYI in Chron:

I just recall hearing this ladies name but did not know her music. Lydia Mendoza.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/deaths/5412394.html

She was nicknamed " the Lark of the Border" Texas Highways magazine had a series on Texas music a few years ago and did a great article about her. (February 2004 Texas Highways )

Edited by readam

Great pic!

What was the name of this orchestra? And who is who?

This topic could occupy hundreds of posts...

So far I've posted 176 photos from my collection of Texas string bands and orchestras 1930s-1950s (including many Houston groups) on Flicker, in case anyone's interested:

http://flickr.com/photos/30643196@N00/

224269880_5d5e29d586_o.jpg

I am with utmost certainty that is a very young Albert "the Velvet Bulldozer" King on the right, playing a 52 Les Paul inverted and strung right handed. It has to be before 1957, because Ted McCarty presented Albert with the very first prototype "Flying Vee" in February of 1957 and Albert never played anything else till his death on Dec 21 1992. Albert King was the real "King" or the Blues.

Beside Albert is Legendary Chicago Blues Drummer Fred Below, they both played in John Brim's band "The Gary Kings", this could narrow down the date to somewhere between 1953-1954, they both were performing together then. Both were also the studio standards for many many Blues Artists in the early 1950's, if you have any blues number recorded from 1951 to 1954, the guitar and drum work were these two in session. Below later founded the "Aces". Fred Below and the Aces pretty much created the standard for the blues shuffle beat. Below also was known for his use of the ride cymbal, the wood block, tom-tom fills, and many other embellishments.

224269880_5d5e29d586_o.jpg

I am with utmost certainty that is a very young Albert "the Velvet Bulldozer" King on the right, playing a 52 Les Paul inverted and strung right handed. It has to be before 1957, because Ted McCarty presented Albert with the very first prototype "Flying Vee" in February of 1957 and Albert never played anything else till his death on Dec 21 1992. Albert King was the real "King" or the Blues.

Dunno. It looks like a melody maker to me.. But at the angle he's got the headstock

it's kind of hard to see if it's straight sided, or "Les Paul" shaped, with the bell curves.

But as far as I can tell, it looks to be straight. If it was the curved les paul shaped

headstock, it would be a les Paul jr. Probably a 56-57. But... I'm pretty sure it's a 59

melody maker most likely. But.. It could also be a 60 also..

The melody maker came out in 59, with the les paul single cut shape. The 60 was the

same, except that late in the 60's series, the 7/8 inch single coil was replaced with a

5/8 inch single coil.

I have a 60 melody maker, and I've also had a 59 in the past. I just now held my

60 up to that picture, at the same angle he has his, and it was a perfect match.

Anyway, it's for sure not a 52 les Paul.. I think most of those were gold tops anyway,

but I'd have to check. Also the bridge was different. The color of that geetar is sunburst.

As a comparison, here are a couple of pictures of my 1960 version. You'll find it a

perfect match with that picture.

BTW, I notice the post has lost the picture I posted earlier.. I've changed servers

since then... I'll have to dig it up and repost/edit it...

Anway, I don't think that picture is as old as you think it is..

My bet is 1959 or 1960 being as that are the only two years that

exact model was made. Starting with 61, they went to a sunburst double cut,

like an SG. BTW, yes, that geetar plays very well.. :) Smells good too..

Being 48 years old, it smells like an old record player inside.

60mm-1.jpg

60mm-2.jpg

MK

She was nicknamed " the Lark of the Border" Texas Highways magazine had a series on Texas music a few years ago and did a great article about her. (February 2004 Texas Highways )

Sure would have loved to be the one to interview these artists before they disappear. Funny when I meet people from time to time they knew older musicians that knew these early pioneers and the stories make sense. Like piecing the puzzle together. If only people realized how important photographs are.

• 10 months later...

Thanks for bringing up The Roseland and Aragon Ballroom.

I did see a pic of the Aragon exterior on a website (Google) but it was of the fire that ruined it around 1947? In fact there were some excellent interiors of the Aragon of a New Year's dance, very clear and everyone is dressed to the nines. :D

Sure wish I had a time machine about now.

Ironically, The Houston Aragon Ballrooom burned just like the more famous Aragon Ballroom on Park Pier on the West Coast. Below is a tiny interior of Houston's Aragon B. Time to dance!

e_bb_4803_pub.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

I have always wondered if any of the big name dance bands of the '40s ever stopped in Houston, or whether the city was still considered too small to bring in a large enough crowd. If any of the famous bands played here, where did they perform? Rice Hotel Roof Garden? Sylvan Beach Pavilion?

Edited by Dan the Man

I have always wondered if any of the big name dance bands of the '40s ever stopped in Houston, or whether the city was still considered too small to bring in a large enough crowd. If any of the famous bands played here, where did they perform? Rice Hotel Roof Garden? Sylvan Beach Pavilion?

The Coliseum & Music Hall must have been new in these days? The exact dates were mentioned somewhere in Haif. I know Mom said she saw Sinatra twice at Coliseum. Other music notables were at places like the local big dance halls, The Aragon etc. Popular names like famous drummer Gene Krupa and Trumpeter Harry James played at Coliseum and or Rice Hotel. The Shamrock also attracted famous bands and film/radio stars of course. Just think there are people out there somewhere that have interior photos or filming of these events! but where are they? Most of this generation is slowly vanishing.

GeneKrupa4.jpghjames3.jpg

Gene Krupa

Harry James

That's so cool. It reminds me of Ricky Ricardo.

Me too. I loved Ricky Ricardo. He was so cool, & a very intelligent & innovative businessman. :lol:

Those are all such great b/w pictures of bands. I have inherited some of my grandmothers big band records.