New in town--or soon-to-be

murphygrrrl

I've seen several threads regarding where to live in Houston for people who are not from Houston, but none really answers my questions. Here are my parameters.

1. I'll be working in the southeast--off 45 just below the Sam Houston tollway.

2. My husband will be working north--off 45 just ABOVE the Sam Houston tollway.

3. We do not want to live our lives in our cars.

4. We are empty nesters who have never lived--by design--in what we consider urban sprawl areas.

5. We like the arts, restaurants, eclectic stuff, etc.

6. We are pretty crazy about midcentury modern and arts and crafts.

7. We have a dog.

Any thoughts?

Price range would be needed.

Anything near downtown would work. There are lots of neighborhoods that are close-in that have yards (for the dog) and mcm homes (your desire) and you don't have to worry about the school district. Also, you'd be close to most of the cultural stuff you'd want to be near. If you want more specifics, we'll need a price range though.

Some early thoughts include searching www.har.com for homes in the 77006, 77005, 77030, 77098, 77004, 77003, 77019, and 77027 neighborhoods. Also check for Glenwood Valley neighborhood homes.

Price range would be needed.

Anything near downtown would work. There are lots of neighborhoods that are close-in that have yards (for the dog) and mcm homes (your desire) and you don't have to worry about the school district. Also, you'd be close to most of the cultural stuff you'd want to be near. If you want more specifics, we'll need a price range though.

Some early thoughts include searching www.har.com for homes in the 77006, 77005, 77030, 77098, 77004, 77003, 77019, and 77027 neighborhoods. Also check for Glenwood Valley neighborhood homes.

Thanks, I'll start looking. Price range would be up to $300,000--but I'm more interested in finding the right place.

what size home approximately?

as kinkaid said, glenbrook valley might be a good option if driving scares you. #1 you will be driving south against traffic. #2 your husband can go around 610east to 45north (or hardy toll road) to avoid traffic during rush hr (but it will still be a drive)

not sure what you call "eclectic stuff" but the drive to downtown (or whereever) is 10-15 mins. so while it may not be walking distance, it is very accessible.

if you lived on the west side of town, i really think your drives time would increase considerably esp since you both commute. The times i've taken the east loop during rush hr it surprises me that it moves as well as it does. i'd probably recommend staying north of i-45 esp if commutes trouble you.

OOOOOH! What possibilities! And what a nice price. Where is Garden Villas, and what is it like?

First of all, you should know that that house is not typical for Garden Villas.

Garden Villas is out by Hobby airport.

It is interesting...the lots are quite large, some areas are in the floodplain (including that house), and there are 70-80 year old pecan trees planted down both sides of all the major streets. Many houses are quite dilapidated, and are inhabited by mexicans who could really care less about what the property looks like.

Furthermore, large sections of GV are in the flight path for Hobby, so there are jets blazing overhead for takeoff and landing at all hours of the day and night.

OOOOOH! What possibilities! And what a nice price. Where is Garden Villas, and what is it like?

That is a great house, my wife and I put a few offers on it but they did not go through due to various reasons not just price. But anyhow sounds like you need to talk to RPS on here, he specializes in the Mid Century Modern homes and Glenbrook Valley which is out of the Jet path for Hobby airport.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Houston,

Scharpe St Guy

First of all, you should know that that house is not typical for Garden Villas.

Garden Villas is out by Hobby airport.

It is interesting...the lots are quite large, some areas are in the floodplain (including that house), and there are 70-80 year old pecan trees planted down both sides of all the major streets. Many houses are quite dilapidated, and are inhabited by mexicans who could really care less about what the property looks like.

Furthermore, large sections of GV are in the flight path for Hobby, so there are jets blazing overhead for takeoff and landing at all hours of the day and night.

Yeah, Garden Villas is a mixed bag, but I like it...parts of it, anyway. Basically just Haywood and N. Haywood streets. Those areas have extremely large wooded lots, are out of the flight path, and tend to have nice large architecturally-compelling homes.

By the way, even this house, located along Sims Bayou, is not in the flood plain. I used to know the owners of the house next door and they said that it didn't even flood during Allison, and since then, Sims Bayou has been altered to allow even more floodwater throughput.

By the way, even this house, located along Sims Bayou, is not in the flood plain. I used to know the owners of the house next door and they said that it didn't even flood during Allison, and since then, Sims Bayou has been altered to allow even more floodwater throughput.

The data at maps.tsarp.org begs to differ....

Well there should've been some protests in that area, then. But as far as official floodplains, you're correct.

During allison there was no water over telephone nor bellfort. prior to widening i remember 18" over telephone bridge. There's definitely been improvement.

I've seen several threads regarding where to live in Houston for people who are not from Houston, but none really answers my questions. Here are my parameters.

1. I'll be working in the southeast--off 45 just below the Sam Houston tollway.

2. My husband will be working north--off 45 just ABOVE the Sam Houston tollway.

3. We do not want to live our lives in our cars.

4. We are empty nesters who have never lived--by design--in what we consider urban sprawl areas.

5. We like the arts, restaurants, eclectic stuff, etc.

6. We are pretty crazy about midcentury modern and arts and crafts.

7. We have a dog.

Any thoughts?

It sounds like some place inside the loop will give you both fairly easy out-bound commutes. The Heights 77008 & 77009 [my neighborhood] is quickly closing in on your $300,000 budget and is not known for Mid Century design. Timbergrove, Lazybrook-77008, Shepherd Forest and Oak Forest-77018 [just outside the loop] may be more to your liking. Some Mid Century; easy non-freeway access to downtown, Montrose, restaurants and museums; easy access to I10 and 610 for your commutes; great liniar parks for walking the dog and LOTS of trees! One more option might be Garden Oaks-77008: again HUGE trees on HUGE lots approaching and surpassing your budget-but little if no Mid Century-just really solidly built post-war homes and now a few CrapMcMansions popping up.

Again I would suggest you stay inside the loop. If you bought in Glenbrook Valley your commute would be a breeze but you may never see your husband again.

In any event, I concur that rps324 is your go-to guy here on HAIF for Mid Century design.

B)

For arts & crafts Eastwood is a great choice, for mid-century modern, Glenbrook Valley offers some incredible options.

If you do look at Eastwood, which location-wise is ideal for both you and your husband, I own and am slowly rehabbing an old home discussed in this thread. I'll warn you though, that these are all 'before' shots, and that you'll have to use your imagination to determine what it might become.

Foundation work is complete and the main home gets a new roof about a week from now. So far, I haven't done anything to the addition, and am weighing my options on how to configure and use that space. It could make a good downstairs master suite, but I'm not sure whether there's much market support for a four-bedroom home.

01053exteriorwg1.jpg

It is about 3,100 square feet, which is a very large home for Eastwood, and is on a large high-profile lot. If you're interested, let me know and I'll tell you exactly where it is. I can work out any number of arrangements. If you want to build it out yourself, that's fine. If you want a turn-key designed by you and for you, that'll work too. If you don't really want the back part of the yard and would rather let me have it, I can work that out. Or if you want that section walled in with cinder blocks, the walls covered in vines, and the open area landscaped as a flower garden, I can do that too. All is negotiable.

...and even though it is probably the largest home on the largest lot in Eastwood, it'll most definitely be within your budget.

• 3 weeks later...
Many houses are quite dilapidated, and are inhabited by mexicans who could really care less about what the property looks like.

Which variety? Mexican Americans, Latinos in general, or Mexicans?

Archived