"Ugliest" Interchange in Houston

I thought of this while driving through the 59/45 interchange. While it may be the coolest and most intricate because of it's complexities, it's also pretty dirty and grimy. However, 290/BW gives it a run for it's money with the profusion of rust everywhere.

10W's interchanges are being "enhanced" as we speak, although I had hoped that the designs would have been more like the High Five in Dallas or some of the new ones in Austin (45/35, 45/1, etc.)

So, regardless of how you feel about freeways, what's the worst-looking interchange, in your opinion?

59/45 looks like a Picasso masterpiece when compare it to the sheer hideous 45/10/Allen Parkway interchange downtown. Its an old poorly designed interchange, and it chokes off the north end of Downtown from the Heights and the Near Northside neighborhoods.

To me, this interchage is Houston's version of Bostons old Central Artery or San Francisco's old Embarcadero Double-Decker span (best rememberd for collapsing in the 89' Loma Prieta Quake).....the city is best without it and Houston needs someone to like Mayor Art Agnos or Fred Salvucci to spearhead a replacement of it. An engineer recenly had a great idea to tunnel and reroute 45 along Houston Ave. And IIRC, the Buffalo Bayou Partnership had a rendering for replaceing the 45/Allen Parkway interchange bridges over the byou with a Cable-Stayed bridge over Buffalo Bayou. All of this sounds a lot better then what we have right now.

All I know is, If I become a power player in Houston, I will personaly see to it that this 45/10/Allen Parkway interchange, along with the Pierce Elevated, disappear underground, thus connecting downown outwards with neighborhoods it needs to be connected to.

59/45 looks like a Picasso masterpiece when compare it to the sheer hideous 45/10/Allen Parkway interchange downtown. Its an old poorly designed interchange, and it chokes off the north end of Downtown from the Heights and the Near Northside neighborhoods.

To me, this interchage is Houston's version of Bostons old Central Artery or San Francisco's old Embarcadero Double-Decker span (best rememberd for collapsing in the 89' Loma Prieta Quake).....the city is best without it and Houston needs someone to like Mayor Art Agnos or Fred Salvucci to spearhead a replacement of it. An engineer recenly had a great idea to tunnel and reroute 45 along Houston Ave. And IIRC, the Buffalo Bayou Partnership had a rendering for replaceing the 45/Allen Parkway interchange bridges over the byou with a Cable-Stayed bridge over Buffalo Bayou. All of this sounds a lot better then what we have right now.

All I know is, If I become a power player in Houston, I will personaly see to it that this 45/10/Allen Parkway interchange, along with the Pierce Elevated, disappear underground, thus connecting downown outwards with neighborhoods it needs to be connected to.

I have to agree with you on that.

The on ramps FROM Allen Parkway is not for the faint of heart or those without the blessed lady of acceleration behind them. Many of times I've had to step on the gas and HOPE I can spot a place to merge before I run out of lane. I also pray that no idiot ahead of me thinks is a great merging technique to STOP to wait for a spot to open up for them.

Hear Hear! Allen Parkway at the Pierce Elevated is both ugly and dangerous with the left-side merges. What is worse it that it was rebuilt a few years ago in exactly the same configuration. :wacko:

The on ramps FROM Allen Parkway is not for the faint of heart or those without the blessed lady of acceleration behind them.

MMMMM HMMMM! SHO 'NUFF! AMEN BROTHER!

I give thanks to the Blessed Lady of Acceleration in all of her 500 hp glory on a regular basis.

Hear Hear! Allen Parkway at the Pierce Elevated is both ugly and dangerous with the left-side merges. What is worse it that it was rebuilt a few years ago in exactly the same configuration. :wacko:

Well this legacy project was designed when safety wasn't an issue. blind spots, curbs, short merge lanes were common as were vehicles that were not capable of speeds that are standard today. The pierce elevated rebuild improved the on ramp situation from houston avenue by a little but the allen parkway entrance to 45 southbound remains the same. The width of the elevated portion was expanded to allow for a better shoulder situation. but yes, it is basically the same.

it's hard to believe that this is already 10 yrs old because i remember skating on it from the allen parkway area to cullen the day before it opened.

I was deeply disappointed when they did the "replacement" of the Pierce elevated and it did little to the actual design as far as lanes goes, I figured they would at least had a few inches for an emergency lane, but...whatever.

The on ramps FROM Allen Parkway is not for the faint of heart or those without the blessed lady of acceleration behind them. Many of times I've had to step on the gas and HOPE I can spot a place to merge before I run out of lane. I also pray that no idiot ahead of me thinks is a great merging technique to STOP to wait for a spot to open up for them.

Jeez you aren't kidding. I did that once not knowing it was like that and now avoid it at all costs. Its made entering the Old Dallas Central expressway look like a cakewalk.

I was deeply disappointed when they did the "replacement" of the Pierce elevated and it did little to the actual design as far as lanes goes, I figured they would at least had a few inches for an emergency lane, but...whatever.

at that time, i believe the city complained to txdot that the project would result in gridlock and therefore it needed to be completed in 6 months. the road was widened a little.

The Allen Parkway ramp to I-45 southbound is great. Whenever there's high traffic or an accident on the west side, I can take Allen Parkway as a detour to U of H. I love how light the traffic is on the Parkway and how it just puts you nicely right onto I-45 from that left side merger. I feel like I'm using a secret passageway, like I'm privileged. I'm sure when it was built, the idea was to provide maximum convenience for River Oaks residents to get to downtown or to get out of town. It doesn't help the majority of people, but it doesn't hurt anyone either. It's definitely not ugly, but it does seem a little backwards for a city to have a thing like that, but I like it nonetheless.

I'd say the ugliest interchange is on the westside at I-10 and Beltway 8. It looked fine 10 years ago, and I have no clue why they feel the need to make it like 4 times bigger. It basically looks like the Beltway 8 and 290 interchange, but the ramps are longer.

Well this legacy project was designed when safety wasn't an issue. blind spots, curbs, short merge lanes were common as were vehicles that were not capable of speeds that are standard today. The pierce elevated rebuild improved the on ramp situation from houston avenue by a little but the allen parkway entrance to 45 southbound remains the same. The width of the elevated portion was expanded to allow for a better shoulder situation. but yes, it is basically the same.

it's hard to believe that this is already 10 yrs old because i remember skating on it from the allen parkway area to cullen the day before it opened.

Safety standards might well have been different when Pierce Elevated was built in the 1960s, but there was no excuse for rebuilding it in the same configuration in the 1990s, on the excuse that spending time on a better redesign would have resulted in gridlock. When the Elevated was closed for the rebuild there were few traffic problems as a result.

Safety standards might well have been different when Pierce Elevated was built in the 1960s, but there was no excuse for rebuilding it in the same configuration in the 1990s, on the excuse that spending time on a better redesign would have resulted in gridlock. When the Elevated was closed for the rebuild there were few traffic problems as a result.

blame the city. they were the ones who wanted it done in 6 months. since it wasn't a total rebuild (same footings were used) that is how they were able to get it done fairly quickly

I hear that Service Corporation Int'l lobbied to have those merges kept the same way. They are right down the road, and it brings them business.

(SCI is the nation's leading undertaking business.)

However, 290/BW gives it a run for it's money with the profusion of rust everywhere.

This is the one I drive through the most and I've gotta' agree, those "rust drapes" down the column legs are quite an eyesore. With a little dressing up, this could be a very visually impressive interchange. But right now, it's utt bugly.

Yea I'd Say The 59/45 interchange, Pierce Elevated, 45 Allen Parkway, 45/ I-10, 45 610 North, 59 /288, and the rebuilt 610/59 Galleria.

The Downtown Interchanges really do need to be upgraded to current Traffic conditions. Its really sad they completely closed Pierce elevated and basically rebuilt the same design. I would have thought with a closure like that they would have really improved the conditions to this area. All the designs downtown except the 59/I10 need to be rebuilt.

I like the design of 45/610 North, every time I drive buy I think this is what it was like driving back in the day. Which makes my point this design is no good for todays traffic. I wonder since they are rebuilding 610 on the east of 45 will they rebuild the West north loop.

I was driving down 59 from the Southwest into downtown, and looked at the spur 527 interchange, and thought they are going to have to redo this interchange, as I believe they would add lanes and improved ramps. I was thinking they should probably depress the rest of that section as well seeing how it depress under 288. Traffic always backs up here and causes backups, on 59 and 45 cause of this. I really wished they just would have completed this with the spur 527 reconstruction.

The galleria I though they could have rebuilt that interchange with new improved ramps, as it looks to me that intersection was built like the BW8/I10 w interchange, on current ROW. I wished they would have made longer direct connect ramps for the traffic to backup on, so it dose not disturb mainlines.

I like the design of 45/610 North, every time I drive buy I think this is what it was like driving back in the day. Which makes my point this design is no good for todays traffic. I wonder since they are rebuilding 610 on the east of 45 will they rebuild the West north loop.

They do have plans for the North Loop West, but it is mostly a resurfacing project, as far as I know. There are probably more pressing traffic problems to tackle than this section of the Loop. Also, most of the construction they're doing between I-45 and U.S. 59 on the North Loop is resurfacing. Unfortunately, I think this part of the Loop is maxed out in terms of width on the current right of way (12 lanes); maybe this will be more than enough capacity after Hardy is built into downtown.

I thought of this while driving through the 59/45 interchange. While it may be the coolest and most intricate because of it's complexities, it's also pretty dirty and grimy. However, 290/BW gives it a run for it's money with the profusion of rust everywhere.

10W's interchanges are being "enhanced" as we speak, although I had hoped that the designs would have been more like the High Five in Dallas or some of the new ones in Austin (45/35, 45/1, etc.)

So, regardless of how you feel about freeways, what's the worst-looking interchange, in your opinion?

I would probably choose safety as my top criterion rather than ugliness. In that case, I'd have to agree with others and choose the Allen Parkway/Memorial/Houston Ave at I-45 mess. It's not particularly pretty from a driver's perspective either. However, I think they have improved the aesthetics of the bike and walking paths underneath I-45.

Next, I'd probably go for lack of functionality. This would probably be a tie between the 59/I-45 interchange downtown and the Gulf Freeway/I-610 interchange. The one downtown because it has too few lanes and has too many left entrances and left exits. The I-45/I-610 interchange lacks direct connections! Going southbound on I-45 to westbound I-610, or eastbound I-610 to northbound I-45, you have to wait at stop lights!!!

There are probably plenty of ugly interchanges in Houston, but I'd like to see some of these problems fixed first before they start spending time and money to paint the columns at BW 8 and 290.

I would probably choose safety as my top criterion rather than ugliness. In that case, I'd have to agree with others and choose the Allen Parkway/Memorial/Houston Ave at I-45 mess. It's not particularly pretty from a driver's perspective either. However, I think they have improved the aesthetics of the bike and walking paths underneath I-45.

Next, I'd probably go for lack of functionality. This would probably be a tie between the 59/I-45 interchange downtown and the Gulf Freeway/I-610 interchange. The one downtown because it has too few lanes and has too many left entrances and left exits. The I-45/I-610 interchange lacks direct connections! Going southbound on I-45 to westbound I-610, or eastbound I-610 to northbound I-45, you have to wait at stop lights!!!

There are probably plenty of ugly interchanges in Houston, but I'd like to see some of these problems fixed first before they start spending time and money to paint the columns at BW 8 and 290.

I agree with safety being the paramount concern. I actually pick my lanes to use at 59/45 (and other interchanges) because of short or even NO acceleration/merge lanes. 59/288 is another example of this. However, we won't get anymore lanes at 59/45--not enough room I would think. However, it COULD be improved immensely with a rebuild akin to the Marquette Interchange in Milwaukee (which actually takes up less space that the old one).

Someone mentioned 610N/45N--I think this one will be rebuilt with the 45N expansion. The 610S/45S icg has a flyover from 610E-45N on the books, I believe. And I would suppose that the 59/288 icg would be improved with the reconstruction of that last piece of 59. I also actually though I saw somewhere (the 2025 plan maybe) that 45/59 would actually be rebuilt in the future also.

Maybe 290/8 will be painted in the widening.

I agree with safety being the paramount concern.

Of course it is, but the thread was about ugliness, so that's what we were talking about.

If the preferred alternative from the MIS is indeed built, then I imagine that a good portion of the interchange (if not all of it) will need rebuilding.

I agree with safety being the paramount concern. I actually pick my lanes to use at 59/45 (and other interchanges) because of short or even NO acceleration/merge lanes. 59/288 is another example of this. However, we won't get anymore lanes at 59/45--not enough room I would think. However, it COULD be improved immensely with a rebuild akin to the Marquette Interchange in Milwaukee (which actually takes up less space that the old one).

Someone mentioned 610N/45N--I think this one will be rebuilt with the 45N expansion. The 610S/45S icg has a flyover from 610E-45N on the books, I believe. And I would suppose that the 59/288 icg would be improved with the reconstruction of that last piece of 59. I also actually though I saw somewhere (the 2025 plan maybe) that 45/59 would actually be rebuilt in the future also.

Going from eastbound I-610 to northbound I-45, you must stop at a traffic light:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=17&a...007231&om=1

Also, I think they, TxDOT, could rebuild the 59/I-45 interchange on the available ROW and still add a few extra lanes and also avoid left entrances/exits. (They do intend to rebuild this portion when the redo the North Freeway.) They might have to get creative, though. For instance, they might consider building two levels below grade like at the Westpark Tollway/Beltway 8 interchange. Or, like the tunnel ramps at I-10/I-610 West Loop (not yet finished) or I-610/Southwest Freeway. While this option might be more expensive, it might also be more pleasing to the anti-freeway crowd or people that think ALL interchanges are ugly.

Don't forget the new ramps coming from the planned 288 toll lanes. Where exactly will they go? We'll find out soon, I suppose. There will be meetings this week, though if anyone is interested:

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/about_us/public...ngs/houston.htm

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/about_us/public...on_02_21_22.doc

Of course it is, but the thread was about ugliness, so that's what we were talking about.

If the preferred alternative from the MIS is indeed built, then I imagine that a good portion of the interchange (if not all of it) will need rebuilding.

I believe this is already the highest interchange in Houston. The rebuild would almost certainly make it even larger. Maybe you'll be able to see Austin from the top. :rolleyes: Even if the rebuilt columns become ugly over time, maybe the view from the top will outweigh this. I guess we'll see.

Maybe another question in this thread could be: What is the best view from an interchange in Houston?

Going from eastbound I-610 to northbound I-45, you must stop at a traffic light:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=17&a...007231&om=1

Also, I think they, TxDOT, could rebuild the 59/I-45 interchange on the available ROW and still add a few extra lanes and also avoid left entrances/exits. (They do intend to rebuild this portion when the redo the North Freeway.) They might have to get creative, though. For instance, they might consider building two levels below grade like at the Westpark Tollway/Beltway 8 interchange. Or, like the tunnel ramps at I-10/I-610 West Loop (not yet finished) or I-610/Southwest Freeway. While this option might be more expensive, it might also be more pleasing to the anti-freeway crowd or people that think ALL interchanges are ugly.

Don't forget the new ramps coming from the planned 288 toll lanes. Where exactly will they go? We'll find out soon, I suppose. There will be meetings this week, though if anyone is interested:

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/about_us/public...ngs/houston.htm

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/about_us/public...on_02_21_22.doc

It is correct that you have to use regular traffic lights at 45S/610S. But I do think that there is a flyover on the books to be built in the future for this connection.

Like I said regarding the 59/45 interchange, the best blueprint to go from in my opinion would be the $810 million Marquette Interchange rebuild in Milwaukee.

http://www.mchange.org/page.jsp?&key=tni

I've driven this interchange before and it may even be more complicated than 59/45, but it is equally as dangerous with the left exits, tight radii, and so on. The highest point of the Marquette will be 9 feet higher after the rebuild than before, and some flyover levels actually dropped in elevation. It also is becoming a 5-level interchange from the 4-level interchange it once was. It also smoothed out some tight turns and legthened merge lanes. I say, if they can do it in Wisconsin, we can do it better in Texas (especially considering it being a road).

I like the idea of that interchange! Are there any future plans as of now to rebuild this intersection. I also think they should rebuild the entrance exit ramps between downtown and Spur 5 on the Gulf Fwy.

During rush hour the students from UH trying to get to and from school backup the main lanes as the ramps are full. I know thats 35 that runs next to 45, but i was thinking maybe there was some better way to make those exit ramps hold more traffic.

I like the idea of that interchange! Are there any future plans as of now to rebuild this intersection. I also think they should rebuild the entrance exit ramps between downtown and Spur 5 on the Gulf Fwy.

During rush hour the students from UH trying to get to and from school backup the main lanes as the ramps are full. I know thats 35 that runs next to 45, but i was thinking maybe there was some better way to make those exit ramps hold more traffic.

When you say "this" intersection, are you talking about 59/45 here or the Marquette in Milwaukee? I 'm pretty sure I saw that the 59/45 interchange would be revamped, but I don't think it was for another 15-20 years. Also, it's interesting that you mentioned Spur 5/45, because once Spur 5 is extended to be the full SH 35 Tollway, I wonder how well the network will handle its traffic.

The Marquette is currently under construction.

When you say "this" intersection, are you talking about 59/45 here or the Marquette in Milwaukee? I 'm pretty sure I saw that the 59/45 interchange would be revamped, but I don't think it was for another 15-20 years. Also, it's interesting that you mentioned Spur 5/45, because once Spur 5 is extended to be the full SH 35 Tollway, I wonder how well the network will handle its traffic.

The Marquette is currently under construction.

Ii was referring to the 59/45 interchange. I would like to see them rebuild it with the Marquette intersection in mind.

Theoretically, I-610/I-45 South is definitely the most pathetic interchange: it's the only major interchange in Houston that requires exiting the freeway to go in certain directions. I thought that's an Austin thing, but I was mistaken. Practically, I-45/US59 is much worse. The Pierce Elevated isn't the only problem there - the merge between SB 59 mainlanes and I-45 exit lanes, from 4 to 3 lanes, is a complete cluster____ every morning. On a bad day, it backs up the Eastex Freeway past Loop 610 to Bennington. US59 mainlanes will need to be rebuilt between Spur 527 and I-10, especially if I-69 gets designed to that route.

SB 290/I-610 can be pretty awful too. Nowhere else can you see that many cars trying to scoot across a freeway at the same time. I hope they rebuild that interchange intelligently, or everybody will just have more lanes to weave across.

Archived