Adams Resources & Energy At 6910 Fannin St.

Duce

I have a picture in an old article but not a digital copy, sorry. On top of the 3-story base there was to have been a 17 story tower. The tower would have sat on the far northern edge of the building and was oriented east-west. The tower facade in the rendering looks smooth like glass, except there is a square cutout section about 2/3 of the way up.

• 2 years later...

My father installed the plumbing in that building. He told me that the upper floors were planned for a later date, and that the structure and MEP elements were built in place for this future expansion. For instance, 15" storm drain piping was installed underground to accomodate the higher floors.

He also told me a story about the dirt work equipment operators getting flat tires continuously while preparing the site for construction. It seems that this was the previous location of the "End of Main Ice House", a pre-war hang out for beer drinkers.

Bottles were through over the fence for years and became a part of the landscape. These poor operators were plauged with flat

tires throughout the project. My father just grinned, knowing that his contribution to the bottle heap was partly to blame.

• Like 1

I wanna say Holcombe at Main. Near the old Oilers practice field (unless I'm thinking of something else).

Close. It was just south of Holcombe and next to Fannin as shown here in the middle of this 1958 picture. No Oilers, no practice field, at that time. I think that's the Fannin State Bank just to the north of it on Holcombe. Prudential Building on the right side.

APC-1958.jpg

• Like 1

That's right. It's the Metro transit center now.

Close. It was just south of Holcombe and next to Fannin as shown here in the middle of this 1958 picture. No Oilers, no practice field, at that time. I think that's the Fannin State Bank just to the north of it on Holcombe. Prudential Building on the right side.

APC-1958.jpg

That looks like Firestation #33 at the bottom of the picture on Fannin. It's still standing right now, but probably not for long.

• Like 1

That looks like Firestation #33 at the bottom of the picture on Fannin. It's still standing right now, but probably not for long.

I talked to a government employee that was overseeing a group of prisoners working at that fire station several weeks ago and he said the building was going to be repaired and reused for another purpose. He was very upset that I was photographing the building. He chased me from across the street from the fire station clear across to the far side of the gas station wanting to know what I was doing. He said prisoners were not allowed to be photographed. I told him I was in the street on public right of way and photographing public property that I pay taxes to support. He let me keep the pictures.

• Like 1

I talked to a government employee that was overseeing a group of prisoners working at that fire station several weeks ago and he said the building was going to be repaired and reused for another purpose. He was very upset that I was photographing the building. He chased me from across the street from the fire station clear across to the far side of the gas station wanting to know what I was doing. He said prisoners were not allowed to be photographed. I told him I was in the street on public right of way and photographing public property that I pay taxes to support. He let me keep the pictures.

Good for you! I wonder how many people he's tried to intimidate. There are those who prefer to sacrifice their rights rather than question authority.

Some photographers print out and keep a copy of The Photographer's Right in their camera bags for just such occasions.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Adams Resources & Energy At 6910 Fannin St.
  • The title was changed to Adams Petroleum Center Building At Holcombe Blvd. And Fannin St.
  • 1 year later...