HOV Violators

I've noticed so many violators going north on 59 from Sugarland to Downtown. Some are using the HOV lanes before the divider begins and change back to the normal lanes while others keep continuing on. These single occupants don't even bother to hide it. No mannequins, elevated objects in passenger seats, etc. at all, but just blatant abuse! If the city needs some serious quick money, they just need to put a few patrols out there every morning between 6:30-9 am.

If the city needs some serious quick money, they just need to put a few patrols out there every morning between 6:30-9 am.

Breaker Breaker 19: Rosco P. Coltrane do you got your ears on it's Boss Hogg calling. :rolleyes:

Edited by Marty

Two weeks ago i was in the addicks P & R waiting for some friends, and this guy in a minivan got pulled over for using the HOV alone, AND he had a flat tire. Hilarity.

I am guilty of using the undivided HOV lane in sugarland. When i used to commute via the westwood P&R i would jump in it when traffic was backed up and sometimes take it all the way into the P&R. A motorcycle cop was behind me once, but for some reason he did not pull me over...

Easy money for the city for morons. I think the HOV system is great if the police were smart enough to just sit and patrol it each day, they'd make some money.

i was thinking i'd feel sorry for the cop who had to sit on his or her ass all day and watch for HOV crooks...but then again, if the article is somewhat accurate in the amount of violators, it could be pretty lucrative...

if only this were the worst of our problems...

If you want to see massive abuse... just remove the barriers and watch the calamity ensue. Miami's got a massive problem with diamond lane abuse, mainly because there's not much to stop people from crossing back and forth as it fits them, and this is even with Florida Highway Patrol posted every couple of miles.

That said, the reversible HOV lane is often a pain when there's an accident or a stall. Hopefully the new Katy Freeway double lanes will yield better results.

Considering the system flawed doesn't justify breaking the law. You might consider the system of using red lights a flawed concept, but that doesn't mean you can run them at will. Sheeesh.

I say give the people who abuse the HOVs fines starting at $500, and $1000 for a second offense. You'd see the illegal use drop real quickly. It is exactly what the creeps deserve.

Considering the system flawed doesn't justify breaking the law. You might consider the system of using red lights a flawed concept, but that doesn't mean you can run them at will. Sheeesh.

I say give the people who abuse the HOVs fines starting at $500, and $1000 for a second offense. You'd see the illegal use drop real quickly. It is exactly what the creeps deserve.

That and they could always rotate the cops after an hour or so.

I always thought that the violator's fine went to Metro, but since this isn't the case as was mentioned previously, maybe they just don't have the financial incentive to do that. It would probably be best if they would split the fines in a more fair way to make it more lucrative for metro police to split their forces and at the same time, provide funding to increase the cops on the street.

In addition to the fine system that subdude mentioned, it would probably be best if they used some sort of dual camera system at the entry ways, one to watch head on and one to watch the rear, so an officer can scrutinize the vehicle. A ticket could be issued in that way using the plates. Sorta' like using the stop light cameras.

No way the diamond system would work in Houston. Too many "cowboys" that think they own the road. Too many illegals that don't give a crap about laws. To many housewives that don't know any better. The HOV system in Houston is the best. Keep it the way it its!

One of the biggest problems is lack of efficiency. It can only go one direction at a time, and they close it way too early, IMHO. The diamond lanes, patrolled effectively, are the best bet.

I agree that it may close too early, but maintenance and other matters need to be looked at before the direction switch. There have been times I needed to use the HOV at 1pm, but stuff happens. Maybe as the freeways are expanded further, they will take this into consideration and open them up a two land HOV like the one on I-10, with hopefully a rail line down the middle.

As unfair as it seems, the planet and the city's infrastructure weren't exactly in place strictly for my or anyone else's exclusive convenience.

That's not true. It's amazing what a little cleavage can do. Believe me, the infrastructure of this city, and a few other cities, were made for me, and all because of my fabulous cleavage. Unfortunately, after having a baby, the cleavage is gone, and the wonders of nature that created it now look like fried eggs on nails and no one wants to see that. So, things are changing on the HOV, and all over the city, as a result.

:)

That's not true. It's amazing what a little cleavage can do. Believe me, the infrastructure of this city, and a few other cities, were made for me, and all because of my fabulous cleavage. Unfortunately, after having a baby, the cleavage is gone, and the wonders of nature that created it now look like fried eggs on nails and no one wants to see that. So, things are changing on the HOV, and all over the city, as a result.

:)

Congrats. I have no way to even respond to your argument, words fail me as well as my mind.

once again, cleavage shows it's true power, even in text form.

• 1 month later...

I was cleaning out my car today and noticed all the license plates that i jotted down on gas receipts while going to work of cars going on diamond lanes illegally and jumping back into traffic. I think i need to post these license plates on the Internet somewhere. Maybe i should start taking pics of these cars too! Damn, too many cars !

I've been thinking of doing the same thing as well.

Except I'd just offer to email it to the Metro Police for a bit of evidence.

I did email Metro, but they said that they don't have jurisdiction for the diamond lanes. Once motorists go through the actual HOV lanes,then they can do something about it.

I was cleaning out my car today and noticed all the license plates that i jotted down on gas receipts while going to work of cars going on diamond lanes illegally and jumping back into traffic. I think i need to post these license plates on the Internet somewhere. Maybe i should start taking pics of these cars too! Damn, too many cars !

Enough creeps cheat on the HOV lanes. It has to be even worse on diamond lanes where they can do that. Another argument for HOVs.

I was in California about 10 years ago and was naively surprised at how the usual weaving/braking/flooring type drivers just used the unsegregated HOV lane as another left lane to be used whenever necessary.

Then a few years later when I heard that Culberson was going to indulge the Cinco Ranch Soccer Moms with unsegregated HOV lanes, I thought to myself, "Whatever. Those things aren't worth spit."

And now that they have been completed and I've driven on both I-10 and 59, I can confirm that yes, they are not worth spit. The rice rockets and motorcycles and prosthetic penis F-150's don't care about no stinkin' double white line!

Edited by cottonmather0

I have an idea. We do away with the barricades - and go to the diamond lanes. However, every car, truck and 18 wheeler has to pay to have the same device put on their car as the ones on the baskets at HEB. If you don't have 2 people in your car, your car stops. Right where it is.

I thought this was funny. But, I have food poisioning.