HOV Violators

Last weekend, I was driving in on 290 on Friday and took the HOV. We saw several Metro cops waiting for violators where the lane enters the NWTC, having pulled a couple of them over already.

When I hear the traffic report on radio station KTRH, I hear the HOV lane mentioned. What does HOV stand for? Someone fill me in on exactly what it is.

When I hear the traffic report on radio station KTRH, I hear the HOV lane mentioned. What does HOV stand for? Someone fill me in on exactly what it is.

HOV stands for "High Occupancy Vehicle." The HOV lanes used in many metropolitan areas in various configurations. In Houston, they are mostly barrier separated reversible flow lanes in the center of the freeway. They are inbound in the morning and outbound in the afternoon. HOVs generally include buses and cars with 2 or more occupants, although the occupancy requirements are sometimes raised in certain corridors during times of heavy use. There are generally two purposes to HOV lanes:

1) Encourage car pooling or other high occupancy modes of transportation in order to.....

2) .....Increase the person-carrying capacity of the freeway.

No way the diamond system would work in Houston. Too many "cowboys" that think they own the road. Too many illegals that don't give a crap about laws. To many housewives that don't know any better. The HOV system in Houston is the best. Keep it the way it its!

can i get an AMEN!