Memorial Heights Information & Developments

jt16

Has anyone noticed the old train tracks running down Memorial Heights Blvd? They are obviously dormant and would make a great greenway. According to Patricia Joiner at Knudson Associates (the firm in charge of the Memorial Heights TIRZ), they've tried numerous times to get Union Pacific to sell the land for a greenway, but they wont budge. This would be a perfect spot for one, and would tie in nicely to the bayou. Right now the only access is over the narrow Studemont overpass. It's really inconvenient and extremely dangerous. I found this to be a little disconcerting and very confusing, because the tracks are not in use and lead to nowhere. Why would UP refuse to work with the TIRZ? I tried to email the Real Estate manager in charge of Harris County at UP, but I got no response. I suspect they have no good answer. I guess I'm just using this forum as a soapbox, but this really irks me.

I have noticed these tracks... and you are exactly right (good observation) - it would make a great hike and bike trail. It could link up with Buffalo Bayou and provide a valuable pedestrian link from Memorial Heights to the Montrose area. If you've ever tried walking on the narrow sidewalks currently on Studemont, you know how harrowing it is... and yet there are literally thousands of new residents in the area living in the multitude of new townhomes, houses, and apartments that have risen in the area in recent years. They walk along this narrow sidewalk with their dogs or ride their bikes - with cars speeding by just a few feet away.

I'd be more than happy to draft a letter on this subject and send it to the County, the City, and groups like the Buffalo Bayou Partnership. And how about Guy Hagstette?? - - I believe he has been named the Mayor's advisor on urban design issues. Has anyone ever addressed issues discussed on this website with him??

i live at the estates at mem heights and not olny run to the bayou alot, but drive over he friggin tracts all the time. IT would make great green sapce. It was actually used when the Saks warehouse was being used (trains came once a month or so, I never saw one, but that what the guy at the paper co said). I bet Guy has alot of more pressing things on his plate, but I'll talk to some people I know about this and see if anythign can be done. At the end of the day, its up to UP.

It is up to UP, but public pressure might help in their decision making. I'm a firm believer that the squeeky wheel gets the grease. By the way, I live in a friends townhome now and am moving into the Estates this month. I love this area and run at Bayou about 4 or 5 times a week. It has so much potential.

I've thought about drafting a letter too and maybe spending a couple of weekends trying to get signatures from runners at the bayou and residents in the area. If you have any experience doing it, I guess that would be great.

Can you provide a more detailed description, I am not picturing the tracks you are talking about.

They cross Washington just east of Heights and run south pretty much down the middle of Memorial Heights Blvd. The tracks end at the edge of the drop off down to Memorial. There used to be a bridge that ran over Memorial, Buffalo Bayou, and Allen Parkway to the north side of Allen Parkway where the tracks continued. That bridge was removed three or four years ago but the tracks north of Memorial are still there.

firstngoal,

I was thinking of drafting my own letter on this subject. Any input would be great. I think getting as many signatures as possible would be a good thing. There are also a lot of developers in the area that have a vested interest. They might be good to talk to as well.

I'm really not sure where to start, so if anybody has any input, please share.

• 2 months later...

I noticed on the way to work this morning that crews were beginning to rip up these tracks. I'd like to think my incessant emails to UP played a part, but I know that steel prices are probably the main motivation. It doesn't matter, as long as those damn things are gone.

• 2 years later...

i live on Memorial Heights Drive and have been in contact with Adrian Garcia's office and Robert Eckel's office regarding this space on the west side of Memorial Heights Drive.

We are trying to petition the city to take over this strip of land as a green space and to dress it up as they have the Washington/Westcott circle on Washington.

Any ideas on how we can make this happen.

• The title was changed to Memorial Heights Information & Developments