Bob Allen Is Lousy

icanluv2

Does any local sports fan viewer agree with me? I've been watching local sports news for years and this guy is the worst of the sports directors/anchors. His highlight clips are short, he forgets to mention some sports stories compared to other stations, and he hardly has exclusives. Tim Melton should be his boss.

Now, Mark Berman, has to be the best local sports director/anchor in town. This is what you call a guy who is really dedicated to his job. Highlights, scoops, and inside/in-depth stories.

Mark Berman, has to be the best local sports director/anchor in town. This is what you call a guy who is really dedicated to his job. Highlights, scoops, and inside/in-depth stories.

He reminds me of Chandler Bing/Mathew Perry.

Mark "Scoop" Berman (Fox 26) is far and away the best sports reporter in town. No one EVER scoops "Scoop" Berman.

The closest competition he has, in my opinion, is Randy McIlvoy of Channel 2 news. He actually seems to do a decent job of REPORTING, not just READING the AP newswire.

No one else even qualifies as a "reporter", in my book. Giff Nielsen and Bob Allen are at the absolute bottom, though. Horrible. I don't think either one knows where Robertson or Rice Stadiums are located.

I agree. Bob Allen is about the worst I have seen in the sports casting business.

Unfortunately ABC 13 is too loyal to their staff and to their own demise. I don't see ABC getting rid of Bob Allen unless the ratings are truly low. Bob Allen doesn't have the decency to resign. I stopped watching ABC local news a long time ago and now watch snippets when I surf the channels. The only ones who gained my respect are Wayne Dolcefino and Art Rascon.

Bob Allen botched up the coverage of the Texans when they started playing. He doesn't know when to quit. He invented the water cooled hand held microphone. My ears tolerate his monotonic voice sometimes for seconds, sometimes longer. During the Texans' first 4 years, he was kissing their butts, pandering to Charley Casserly, Dom Capers, David Carr. Finally this year he started to mention Carr's lackluster performance. Finally! What took him so long? Bob Allen preempted Nightline, Saturday night and Sunday night programming too often for his coverage of sports specials. I wouldn't mind if he at least covered them in a professional and reasonably smart manner.

During the football season, I watched the show on Sunday nights at 10:35 PM to see a summary of Texans games when I didn't see the game earlier that day. Watching Bob Allen for more than a few minutes is a challenge, sometimes it's an ordeal. During that show he treated Texans' representatives with a powder puff, barely challenged them, just made it to easy for them to verbalize their excuses.

Giff Neilson is so full of himself imo. One of the reasons I stopped watching khou was because I couldn't stand watching him throw those ridiculous balls. I was waiting for him to miss a net and break a camera or hit one of the anchors in the head.

That's when news and sports cross the line and become infotainment and newscasters and sportscasters become jesters.

Giff Neilson is so full of himself imo. One of the reasons I stopped watching khou was because I couldn't stand watching him throw those ridiculous balls. I was waiting for him to miss a net and break a camera or hit one of the anchors in the head.

Please tell me that you are aware that Giff Nielsen knows more about football than any other sportscaster in town, because he's the only local sportscaster who actually played football in college and in the pros.

In the off chance that you didn't know that, it's worth knowing that Giff was the leading passer in the country two years in a row at BYU, and he was a fair to middling pro QB with the Oilers. He was never a "great" QB, just a dependable backup. He knew his limitations, and he knew he would never get a job as a starter, which is why he took the TV job while he was still young and healthy.

I've encountered him outside the TV station on several occasions and he really is one of the nicest and friendliest TV people I've ever met. He's a Mormon but I don't think he would mind me calling him a mensch.

I am very much aware of Giff's accomplishments as a FB player but what does that have to do with his antics in broadcasting?

Whoever came up with the idea of him throwing those balls should have been demoted. As a veteran sportscaster he was probably in a position to step up and decline doing the ridiculous. Maybe he thought it was cute.

I too have met him on several occassions and do not believe he is a mensch.

Maybe he was having some bad days.

• 2 weeks later...
Does any local sports fan viewer agree with me? I've been watching local sports news for years and this guy is the worst of the sports directors/anchors. His highlight clips are short, he forgets to mention some sports stories compared to other stations, and he hardly has exclusives. Tim Melton should be his boss.

Now, Mark Berman, has to be the best local sports director/anchor in town. This is what you call a guy who is really dedicated to his job. Highlights, scoops, and inside/in-depth stories.

He has definitely GONE HOLLYWOOD. By far one of the most obnoxious and arrogant people to appear on national television. His style is so dated still in the 1970's. He is more like an Entertainment Tonight kind of reporter. His persona has changed like Sybil but not so many seperate personalities, just one pathetic one. I've run into him on several occasions and find him short kind of like a hobbit just not barefooted. Loves ignoring anyone that is not famous and is aging fast. We need a more regular guy/gal from the neighborhood styled person to replace him. Its 2007 Bob not 1974!

• 4 weeks later...

Channel 13 kisses up to the Texans a little too much....which station cut away from daytime programming to show David Carr's haircut? Waste of programming...

I remember the 30 minute shows after the news on Sundays....pure comedy....Charlie Casserly had his excuses lined up week after week and Bob never asked anything hard. What I also hate is that these damn local businesses give the guests of the show a gift certificate for coming...makes me sick to my stomach how they cater to these overpaid athletes.

Mark Berman gets the scoops because he's on at 9 and the school officials usually tip him off...I know that because I've personally done it before.

I like Butch Alcandor of KHOU.....he comes from my mom's hometown and he's pretty straightforward....

Now I do hate the local sports radio stations....they kiss up to Steve McKinney and any pro athlete like they are God's.

Mark Berman gets the scoops because he's on at 9 and the school officials usually tip him off...I know that because I've personally done it before.

Yeah. Mark, from what i've heard, is that he gets alot of scoops checking up and visiting 'officials' on a regular basis instead of just popping by and asking what is the latest development. Sort of like a family member who only calls me whenever he needs help, but never comes by to my house to visit. Mark is not like that in his profession, that's why he is respected and gets scoops from 'officials'. Certainly, being on at 9pm helps also.

• 4 months later...
Sorry to offend you, Bob.

No wait, if Bob Allen was a Coog, he'd actually cover UH athletics once in a while! (Just another reason why Mark Berman is #1 in my opinion...he covers LOCAL sports.)

And if you find stories about TSU's new assistant athletic director for academic compliance interesting, Berman's your guy. Mark works very hard and I respect that... I just think the guy loses sight of the fact that television is a visual medium. Frequently, watching his sportscast will be much like reading pages 9-12 of the Chron's sports section.

And I know, I know... I'm a Cougar and I've heard the whining for years... channel 13 ignores the Coogs. Whatever.

He has definitely GONE HOLLYWOOD. By far one of the most obnoxious and arrogant people to appear on national television. His style is so dated still in the 1970's. He is more like an Entertainment Tonight kind of reporter. His persona has changed like Sybil but not so many seperate personalities, just one pathetic one. I've run into him on several occasions and find him short kind of like a hobbit just not barefooted. Loves ignoring anyone that is not famous and is aging fast. We need a more regular guy/gal from the neighborhood styled person to replace him. Its 2007 Bob not 1974!
tell us how you really feel... if you dont like him you have other choices...why don't you use them and give your typing a rest?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Bob Allen Is Lousy

Archived