David Beckham signs with LA Galaxy!

DJ V Lawrence

Good luck, MSL. These big-money signings will put you on a fast track to implosion. You will ride a wave of curiosity for a few months then settle back into obscurity. This time, though, you will be drowning in red ink.

Beckham's signing stinks of desperation -- like radical treatment to cure a terminal illness. I think its a huge gamble by a guy with more money than sense hoping he can single-handedly shift the paradigm of American sports by hiring a golden boy. Obviously, other teams -- a couple of which this same guy owns -- will be pressured to follow suit to compete. Only, the fan base isn't here. As teams fold, even the core fans will start to lose interest.

Does anyone remember the Pele NASL experiment?

It's his money and if he wants to take the chance on creating a paradigm shift in Amercian soccer, I'm for it! :)

Does anyone remember the Pele NASL experiment?

Of course. That's why it's not gonna happen this time. When all the big stars back then finished their time in NASL, the league folded. Difference here is the fact that where Pele's signing was the climax, Beckham's signing is just the beginning.

It's known that Becks can't bring soccer/football where it's supposed to be in the states by himself. Americans like quality, and Beckham's signing and major revenue for him and MLS is a major step to making MLS one of the premier sports leagues in America and the world. It's a step, though. They'll eventually have to be capable of signing more big names in their prime (31 and below), and build more super clubs in America.

Good luck, MSL. These big-money signings will put you on a fast track to implosion. You will ride a wave of curiosity for a few months then settle back into obscurity. This time, though, you will be drowning in red ink.

Beckham's signing stinks of desperation -- like radical treatment to cure a terminal illness. I think its a huge gamble by a guy with more money than sense hoping he can single-handedly shift the paradigm of American sports by hiring a golden boy. Obviously, other teams -- a couple of which this same guy owns -- will be pressured to follow suit to compete. Only, the fan base isn't here. As teams fold, even the core fans will start to lose interest.

We agree with one thing: Beckham's signing is a gamble. His marketability is definately worth $250 Million, but whether soccer will be a 6-month trend or a fixture when it comes to American talent depends on MLS.

Other than that, the fans are definately here in America. We love America more than we have in the past few decades, the NFL stadiums sell-out when major soccer exibitions come to the states, and a lot of Americans follow teams overseas. Soccer itself is VERY marketable in America, but MLS soccer is the question. Can they bring big-name soccer stars in their prime like the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL are able to do in their sports? That's gonna take time and consistancy.

If they play their cards right, I think the MLS may soon become a more marketable league than NHL.

Does soccer games still end with tied games?

Yes. Except elimination playoff games, when the game may end in penalty kicks after a 30 minute overtime, which was how Dynamo won the nail-bitter against New England.

That's another question, too: Will MLS be able to get their own tv show on ESPN that follows the league like NFL Live, NBA Shootaround, and Baseball Tonight? Currently there is ESPN Press Pass, but that's shown on international ESPN; not national. Can they soon create the media?

It's his money and if he wants to take the chance on creating a paradigm shift in Amercian soccer, I'm for it! :)

I first started playing soccer when I was born. Really. I played all the way to high school and still enjoy watching to this day. I really hope that soccer finally starts to hit a growth curve and draw in more kids. I don't know if money is going to be a solution, but maybe just a spark soccer needs today.

Yes. Except elimination playoff games, when the game may end in penalty kicks after a 30 minute overtime, which was how Dynamo won the nail-bitter against New England.

I watch the playoff game only. I notice Soccer is becoming more popular, the more sport's i can watch the better i will be following the Dynamo's 2007 season. ;)

I watch the playoff game only. I notice Soccer is becoming more popular, the more sport's i can watch the better i will be following the Dynamo's 2007 season. ;)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/soccer/4468590.html

According to reports from Madrid, coach Fabio Capello will not let Beckham play anymore with Real Madrid on the pitch, saying that since he's committed to another team, he'll be limited to practice throughout the rest of practice.

What are the odds that the powerhouse could play for Galaxy in July instead of August? Or maybe even play for them at the beginning of the season, like, say, for the season opener against Dynamo at Robertson in April? B)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...mls&cc=5901

ESPN is also questioning if Beckham may be coming in as early as the pre-season. If so, Houston, Texas may be home to Beckham's regular season debut. That, plus this being the first game since Dynamo won the MLS Cup, would probably make this the hottest sports ticket of 2007. Also the biggest international media blitz ever in Houston for a sporting event (including Super Bowl 2004)

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOC...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

Another Beckham has arrived. Victoria showed up in L.A. for the first time since David's major announcement.

This move is very similar to what the NY Cosmos did signing Pele', arguably the greatest soccer player ever to take a breath, and it drew a lot of attention to the NASL. It extended the life of the league a few years, but it takes a strong fan base and the commercial marketability to make it stick. Corporate sponsorship is the key, along with big TV dollars. I think that will be the main key. The NFL, NBA, MLB and even NASCAR, make the huge $$$ by corporate participation and multi-billion dollar TV contracts. That will be the key to making it or breaking it, in today's sports-world.

This move is very similar to what the NY Cosmos did signing Pele', arguably the greatest soccer player ever to take a breath, and it drew a lot of attention to the NASL. It extended the life of the league a few years, but it takes a strong fan base and the commercial marketability to make it stick. Corporate sponsorship is the key, along with big TV dollars. I think that will be the main key. The NFL, NBA, MLB and even NASCAR, make the huge $$$ by corporate participation and multi-billion dollar TV contracts. That will be the key to making it or breaking it, in today's sports-world.

Remember the fact that most of Beckham's money in this contract is corporate sponsorship money, not directly from MLS. In fact, MLS is only paying $400,000 a year, and AEG is between $8-10 Million. Also, each team will be allotted one big-name signing, ensuring that teams don't spend too much on multiple players. There's a possibility that Becks could make more or less than $250 Million; it's merely an estimate to the worth of the package sponsorship deal.

I agree with you with corporate sponsorship, but I think it will take a lot more.

1) More big names on an international scale come to the league, and while here, make the league more competitive, the stakes higher, and the style of play at a level equal or greater than that in Europe (which will take years)

2) More tv coverage. MLS will need their own soccer shows on ESPN, basic cable, and sports networks. More tv time for critics to debate on their style of play as the NFL, NBA, MLB, and MLB have already established. Soccer is succeeding with showing more international cups on regular tv and not cable in 2007 and 2008, but sports fans need shows where they can follow the teams. They also need REAL sports critics that can debate the World's sport, and not ones that don't know who's playing on what team.

3) Higher attendance. They may have answered the question for Galaxy games for the next five years, but they need more. Get more players that are starters for national teams, including some who don't have to break the salary cap. Bring in the next big stars from Africa, Asia, and smaller European nations, and Latin-South America. American talent will split between MLS and Europe because both would offer respectable endorsements and high prestigue in the coming years.

4) More street ball needs to be promoted in our pop culture as it is worldwide. U know how street basketball has the crossover, and football has the juke? That all started in international soccer. We're just so used to playing "conservative" soccer, and doing street moves were considered a "taunt" on American fields. That's gotta change. Learn from Clint Demsley. Watch more Brazilian beach moves, European street moves, and moves in our football and basketball, and implement it on America's soccer fields.

5) The coaches for America's national team need more balls, yo. No more conservative 5-3-1 play. We need more 4-4-2 formations on the field. Because of the 5-3-1, we play a more defensive, conservative mode, and in return get low scores. This is America. No Fear. Get up at the goalie. It doesn't matter how much the opponent scores; just score more. We should be more cocky, more confident, and be in attack-mode at all times.

There's breaking news from ESPN via the New York Daily News that former U.S. Captain and Manchester City star Claudio Reyna has agreed to join the New York Red Bulls. Whether he's signing a star contract remains to be seen, because he could go either way with the salary cap. If he's NOT the contract-exception, Red Bull may still try to sign another European star.

Dont pretend to analyze a sport you obviously care nothing for and don't understand.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6368838

Brazil's Ronaldo and Italy's Antonio Cassano may also be traded from Real Madrid, creating a buzz in the sports world that either one may end up either in the Premiership or far-shot, MLS's New York. Both are questionable if they'll be on their national teams in 2010, though Ronaldo (33) has the record for most career World Cup goals.

Also, more rumors are flying as to if Beckham will be able to leave his contract to go to LA Galaxy in time for the season-opener in Houston this April. He's expressed his new desire to be there for LA Galaxy's spring training, and Real Madrid's new coach has said he will not play Beckham ever again since he's already signed to another team.

First off, the new announcement. DC United has signed coveted Brazilian striker Luciano Emilio of CD Olympico. The 28-year old is known to be a scoring machine throughout Central and South America.

Now, the rumors.

-New York Red Bulls are indeed pursuing Ronaldo of Real Madrid AND Claudio Reyna of Manchester City. Ronaldo, however, is also being pursued by AC Milan. Expect a money fight for him.

-FC Dallas is pursuing Dutch star Edgar Davis, who's with Tottenham. He still has a few months left on his contract.

-Eddie Lewis, the American playing for Leeds United, and Robbie Fowler, ANOTHER former England captain, are also rumored to be talking to American teams, though the team is undisclosed.

-Finally, Houston Dynamo. The cat's out the bag as to who exactly we may be pursuing. Bruno Marioni, the Argentina striker now playing for powerhouse Boca Juniors.

m_marioni_bruno_vt.jpg

It's hard to see him leave Boca Juniors for Dynamo, but if the dude came, it'd be a HUGE splash for Dynamo.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6395470

Dude, check this out. Oguchi Onyewu, the NFL-built defender of the US national team and current defender for club Standard Liege of Belgium, is in a bidding war with some of the most famous teams in sports. He's turned down playing with Fulham with Dempsley and McBride, and also turned down Beckham's current team Real Madrid. He may either wind up with defending French champs Lyon, or Chelsea. Either way, he's calling the shots. His goal is to strengthen his game and expand his brand in the U.S.

The amount of international attention our players are getting in Europe because of their style of play is a real positive. We may see just how much that experience helps the team when we play Mexico next month. Either way, Beckham's signing, our rudeboys in Europe's top leagues, and the increase in competition for MLS's clubs may all pay dividends come 2010. The U.S. needs a permanent coach before Summer though. No more interim. Either keep the staff U have, or get that foreign coach, and keep Bradley as an assistant with the rest of the coaching staff. Just get that finished with.

Archived