Lets get Houston Booming again

1. Capitalize on our natural environment/natural resources: conservation/preservation (trees), proximity to the Gulf of Mexico (beaches, water quality, ocean-related industries and research), etc.

2. Capitalize on our proximity to Mexico: trade, international relations, etc.

3. Capitalize on the existing energy industry (oil) by pushing decades into the future to the NEXT energy industries (solar, nuclear, etc.)

4. Capitalize on NASA.

5. Attract businesses - and the right KIND of businesses, not just manufacturing, for example. Our high-tech sector is relatively limited, for example.

6. Expand and invest in universities.

7. Intelligent and foresighted urban planning to provide for transportation and communications.

8. Get flooding under control and prevent damage from natural disasters (hurricanes, etc.) so we don't wind up like Galveston in 1901 or New Orleans in 2006.

9. The Houston Dynamo repeat as MLS champs. Ok, just kidding on that one.

So maybe Houston needs to develop its own special style of food. Separate from the whole boring "Tex-Mex" thing that you can get at any chain restaurant from Beaumont to Bangkok. Something original. Something creative. But broad enough to be more than one dish.

I like this idea, but being a foodie in Houston is about more than just what you're eating. The cook that works in the cafe at my office building is an Indian with a Philly accent. I just ate dinner at a Thai restaurant that was playing Doug Kershaw over the loudspeaker; by coincidence, one of my coworkers brought his entire Vietnamese family in to eat at the same time, the guy that was sitting next to me was Russian, and a couple of good ol' boys were sitting at the bar watching the game and drinking a beer. At Ragin' Cajun, a few nights ago, it was that superb cajun food, prepared by Mexicans, with the order taken by the nice old southern lady at the counter, served disproportionately to black folks, but with a clientele that also included a Chinese couple, some Kansians, and a group of Middle Eastern students. At Tel-Wink a couple days back, despite the decidedly blue-collar clientele, there was also a highly diverse selection of peoples, some who had just come over from Stubbs Motorcycles, others who looked like they'd never known a retail strip other than Telephone Road for about the past 50 years. Then there's 888, which probably has the most consistently diverse clientele of any of the aforementioned restaurants.

Houston's myriad dining experiences cannot easily be exported, unfortunately. Too much of the atmosphere is created by the clientele and the confused cultural mix that often results. In fact, I'd even argue that we've got so much diversity that it is impossible for us to brand a single fused cuisine as our own. It could just as easily be viexican as thaijun as bar-b-inese. There's no place to stop.

Maybe taquerias can be what everyone knows. Yall ever eat at them? Most of them may be whole in the walls, but they are delicous. My favorite is the torta. I've fallen in love with them.

I'm in albuquerque right now and they have some here too but they're all over in Houston. Try them if you haven't. They're cheap too, which is the best part.

But broad enough to be more than one dish.

How many cities can actually claim this?

SanFran - Sourdough bread?

NYC - They think they invented everything from Banh Mi to Pizza.

London - Pasties? (or would that be Cornwall?).

Miami - Cuban Food? - yuk

San Antonio - TexMex?

Praha - Sausage?

LA - In and Out?

Philly - Cheesesteak (the only one who truly gets credit in my book)

Seattle - Coffee? (yeah right)

St. Louis - raviolli

New Orleans - Government Cheese?

Albuquerque - Christmas (red and green).

San Antonio - TexMex?

Praha - Sausage?

LA - In and Out?

St. Louis - raviolli

Ike Sewell, a UT-Austin football player, invented Chicago-style pizza.

Fletcher Davis of Athens, TX invented the hamburger.

Seems like Texans have a penchant for exporting their food and naming it after other places.

1. Capitalize on our natural environment/natural resources: conservation/preservation (trees), proximity to the Gulf of Mexico (beaches, water quality, ocean-related industries and research), etc.

2. Capitalize on our proximity to Mexico: trade, international relations, etc.

3. Capitalize on the existing energy industry (oil) by pushing decades into the future to the NEXT energy industries (solar, nuclear, etc.)

4. Capitalize on NASA.

5. Attract businesses - and the right KIND of businesses, not just manufacturing, for example. Our high-tech sector is relatively limited, for example.

6. Expand and invest in universities.

7. Intelligent and foresighted urban planning to provide for transportation and communications.

8. Get flooding under control and prevent damage from natural disasters (hurricanes, etc.) so we don't wind up like Galveston in 1901 or New Orleans in 2006.

9. The Houston Dynamo repeat as MLS champs. Ok, just kidding on that one.

For one, I can't wait to see our Dynamo repeat in 2007!!

I say our airport system should do more to become a stronger international hub. We need more direct flights from Asia and Europe as L.A., Dallas, Seattle, San Fransisco, have for Asia, and Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, and New York have for Europe. We have the location to be able to become a direct flight hub for both. Houston's a business powerhouse, and could become stronger if we become a better international business transport hub. Perhaps that could help attract business headquarters to come to Houston.

San Antonio - TexMex?

Praha - Sausage?

LA - In and Out?

St. Louis - raviolli

New Orleans - Cajun food

Boston - New England (clam chowder/lobster)

Seattle - Coffee and Americanized cafe snacks

Paris - French cooking

Tokyo - Sushi

Chicago - Deep dish pizza/Chicago dogs

Wisconsin - Cheese

Moscow - Russian food

Saint Louis, Cincinnati, Memphis - various forms of barbecue

Texas - Chili

The fact that you put "government cheese" down for New Orleans shows that you're not taking this exercise seriously.

Maybe taquerias can be what everyone knows. Yall ever eat at them? Most of them may be whole in the walls, but they are delicous. My favorite is the torta. I've fallen in love with them.

Every city in America, and even some outside (Vienna, Austria) have these. I was hoping for something new, not something that Houston imported from Mexico.

The airport suggestion from DJ Vance was the best I saw in the last 10 posts.

I just tallied all the references to food in all posts made in the last 90 days and I have found that 92.2% of them occur between the hours of 4pm and 5pm. You guys really need to grab a power bar or something.

Archived