Sharpstown MODS

Dream

What do you think is it worth it to live in a cool contemporary house in a sketchy neighborhood? Sharpstown and Braeburn areas have some cool little mods. Check these houses out on har.

dream

8502 Dashwood

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...mp;backButton=Y

8110 Leader

7822 Braeburn Valley

No, Yes, and Yes - respectively.

No to the first one for its proximity to Gessner.

Yes to the second one because it is 100% residential on belliare (that I can visually recall from memory) and that neighborhood feels "removed" or at least "detached" from the hustle & bustle of Bellaire.

Yes to the third one because that area of Braeburn Valley is actually very nice.

Of course private schools is a must for all three. The home on Braeburn Valley will feel the most "removed" from the bad elements of the surrounding neighborhood.

Give them a drive and see if you agree.

Braeburn Valley, especially that section, is not scary at all. That is very nice in there.

If someone wants an interesting house, be it MCM, arts & crafts, bungalow, or whatever, and they want it in-town, they are going to have to deal with some level of the transitional neighborhood issues and/or "pocket" neighborhood issues unless they have a ton on money to spend.

Besides, sketchy once described Montrose, Heights, Garden Oaks & Rice Military. Where's your sense of adventure? :ph34r:

The SW area is Houston's mod-mother lode, even if most of the houses are not "mod" but just plain-jane ranches, however they still lend themselves to the same fun decor. It's such a mixed bag over there, not just the crime potential and overall ugliness of the surroundings, but with such a wide area of similar style homes, it would take longer to get a strong gentrification wave established. But, I'm sure there are invisible and brave souls buying over there right now because of the affordable and historic housing stock and decent location.

One possible plus in terms of historic preservation is that the perception of it being in a fairly undesirable area will keep the McMansions from taking advantage of some of those large lots over there and give the preservationists a chance to "seize the hill" and turn it into a ranch refuge.

I knew a young guy who got married and bought in Braeburn Valley in '99 and got a great house built in '58. Big, big lot, wood floors, original appliances and an in-ground pool for like $95K. I haven't spoken with him for awhile but I know he's had a child since then and I wonder if he's thinking about moving at some point due to the schools, even though I know how much he loves the house. He also used to complain about the riff-raff on Bissonett.

For other potential buyers, here are the zoned Houston ISD public schools for each of the houses:

* 8502 Dashwood: Neff ES, Sharpstown MS, Lee HS (with Lamar HS and Westside HS as options)

* 8110 Leader: Neff ES, Sharpstown MS, Sharpstown HS

* 7822 Braeburn Valley: Bonham ES, Sharpstown MS, Sharpstown HS

Archived