Proper Grammar and Word Usage

Parrothead

I realize that most anchorpeople and radio personalities aren't English majors, but could someone please tell me why no one is correcting the recent and almost blasphemous :lol: use of hung instead of the proper hanged for Saddam Hussein's upcoming execution?

Hearing it one time made me roll my eyes a bit, but this morning I have heard it three times. Owen Conflenti on KPRC-2 said it properly, and I thought I was going to fall off my couch I was so pleasantly surprised.

We're so worried about english being our official language, yet journalists and television/radio personalities can't even speak it properly.

I'm not usually so retentive about things, but bad grammar and word usage by people who really should know better just irks me a little.

:mellow:

I really have nothing else to talk about today, sorry!! :lol:

It used to be that every time a TV news anchor would say something grammatically incorrect the TV station would get hundreds of phone calls and letters from angry English teachers.

English teachers don't do that anymore. Maybe they don't care. Maybe they're getting dumber, too.

The fact is that these days news writers, reporters, and anchors take their grammar lessons from TV consultants who tell them to intentionally say certain things wrong because it makes a sentence sound more "active" and keeps the viewer's attention span longer. Unfortunately, this does work. Numbers don't lie.

So, blame the English teachers. Blame the viewers. But remember that the days of the thinking anchors are long past. These days they're just meat puppets who are trained to read what's put in front of them.

The only way to change what's happening in TV is to complain -- and complain the right way. Don't call. Don't e-mail. WRITE A LETTER. It's the only way to really get anyone's attention. It has to be recorded and placed in the station's FCC public file.

But most people are lazy and don't know how to write anyway.

He is to be hanged by the neck until dead.

AFTER the event takes place, he will then be hung.

My wife says, sometimes she wishes I was hung. I told her, "No honey you wish I was hanged", she said, "Yeah, that too." What the hell does that mean ? <_<:huh:

I realize that most anchorpeople and radio personalities aren't English majors, but could someone please tell me why no one is correcting the recent and almost blasphemous :lol: use of hung instead of the proper hanged for Saddam Hussein's upcoming execution?

http://www.verb2verbe.com/conjugation/english-verb/hang.aspx

Where is hanged on the conjugation chart? this is where the confusion begins.

Below is how I learned it.

Originally these words were pretty much interchangeable, but “hanged” eventually came to be used pretty exclusively to mean “executed by hanging.” Does nervousness about the existence of an indelicate adjectival form of the word prompt people to avoid the correct word in such sentences as “Lady Wrothley saw to it that her ancestors

The incorrect use of hung is almost forgiveable, even for a journalist, but what gets me is the really bad english I get from college grads in their emails sometimes. Like dropping the "ed" suffix in verbs, "I fax it to him this morning". Not laziness or typing errors, but the way our language seems to be evolving.

Maybe it's just the natural evolution of languages. The masses determine which new words become a part of everyday speech and which ones will get modified.

I wonder if the less-educated caused the switch away from Olde English too?

It used to be that every time a TV news anchor would say something grammatically incorrect the TV station would get hundreds of phone calls and letters from angry English teachers.

English teachers don't do that anymore.

They're too busy trying to get their students straight when it comes to grammar.

My pet peeve is when someone confuses the word loose and lose. Grr.

By the way, here's a question that appeared on a copy editing test for a major daily newspaper in Texas:

"A good copy editder can fine three mistakes in this sentence."

I don't know exactly what the third mistake is, but I have an idea.

My high school english teacher said the best way to remember the proper usage is that more often than not, it is a person that is "hanged" and a thing that is "hung"...i.e. a towel is hung, a person is hanged. Past tense: had been hanged, was hanged...or I thought it was, anyway....? Ayyy-yi-yi. :lol:

I am also noticing as of late that computers seem to be doing more copy editing and proofing, as there have been many mistakes in magazines and on television news segments that are so blatent. "lose" and "loose", most definitely, but others, like:

alter/altar

right/write

bored/board

They're getting the spelling right, just not the usage. Doesn't anyone notice that on the sets of these shows?

The incorrect use of hung is almost forgiveable, even for a journalist, but what gets me is the really bad english I get from college grads in their emails sometimes. Like dropping the "ed" suffix in verbs, "I fax it to him this morning". Not laziness or typing errors, but the way our language seems to be evolving.

Maybe it's just the natural evolution of languages. The masses determine which new words become a part of everyday speech and which ones will get modified.

I wonder if the less-educated caused the switch away from Olde English too?

I think a lot of it is laziness. Or a lack of proofreading. You wouldn't believe the resumes I get sometimes. These are RESUMES where you're supposed to spend a few hours and make sure every little detail is correct. It's really pathetic. And I'm talking about graduates from some VERY good schools like Northwestern University, Columbia University, and USC.

The only thing worse than their grammar, spelling, and punctuation is their audacity.

A couple of months ago I got one from a girl who said in her cover letter that the main reason I should bring her on is because she's "middle class" and I could use her unique perspective on the world. Yep. Not poor. Not rich. Middle class.

File 13 for that one.

I have too much of a southen draw to my speech thats why i cut down trees for a living ;):lol::lol:

Edit; my voice sounds just like Hank Hill from King of the Hill.

Oh NO! I misspelled "blatant"! I used an E instead of an A! What was I thinking, in a thread about misspellings? Wow, thanks so much for correcting me! I don't know how I would have gone on with my day had you not done that. Thank you! Thank you SO MUCH!

*sigh*

I'm talking about errors in journalism--among professionals who should know better. Read the title of the post, read the content of the post. I'm a mother and a housewife--NOT AN EDITOR. I'm entitled to make spelling mistakes on a message board, just as you, apparently, are entitled to look like a complete jerk for pointing out those mistakes.

Oh NO! I misspelled "blatant"! I used an E instead of an A! What was I thinking, in a thread about misspellings? Wow, thanks so much for correcting me! I don't know how I would have gone on with my day had you not done that. Thank you! Thank you SO MUCH!

*sigh*

I'm talking about errors in journalism--among professionals who should know better. Read the title of the post, read the content of the post. I'm a mother and a housewife--NOT AN EDITOR. I'm entitled to make spelling mistakes on a message board, just as you, apparently, are entitled to look like a complete jerk for pointing out those mistakes.

Had you screwed up any other word besides "blatent" it wouldn't have made you look like such a dolt. That is, until you attempted to justify making such a blatant error in expressing exasperation with others

Why do some people in this forum always talk is if they are absolutely correct all the time?

There's not many people asking questions and trying to learn, instead it seems as if it's just a competition to see who can act like they know more. I'm sure many people do know what they're talking about, but it's as if they already know it all, when it's most likely not the case.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that most people on here are laymen and are not experts.

Just my observation.

Some HAIFers need to let off a little bit.

Nah, I get where parrot is coming from. I'm not a medical practicioner, couldn't do any better than they if I were put into the situations that they are (people would die), and I may even botch the technical jargon in my criticism of them, but that doesn't mean that it is ok for them to botch their job. Very similarly, editors are in a profession where they are counted on to use specialized skills that most people don't and aren't expected to have. When editors make blatant mistakes, the fact that the critic types "blatent" doesn't make the critic any more or less correct in pointing out the error.

Thanks for clearing up that mess.

It's just annoying to read that stuff

Hey Dal ol' buddy, do you remember back a couple of months ago ? When we were talking about you acting like THIS ?

douchebag.jpg

You're doing it now.

:lol:

Yeah...

BTW -- you meant to write "YOUR acting like this," not "YOU acting like this". This is a thread bitching about proper grammar, after all. :)

Archived