Galveston Hobby Airport

Anyone think it would work? I guess it would kind of be like DFW Airport :blush:

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.l...24d2e0994d73b18

Actually, it wouldn't be anything like DFW. It would only be a name change...and the article goes on to tell why it wouldn't work. Perception is reality for travelers from outside this region. When they see that the nearest airport is an hour away, they stay away.

Now, a high-speed rail between DT Houston and The Strand, with a stop at Hobby would probably work. How about deplaning at Hobby, hopping the rail and being on the island in 15-20 minutes? People would do that.

Now, a high-speed rail between DT Houston and The Strand, with a stop at Hobby would probably work. How about deplaning at Hobby, hopping the rail and being on the island in 15-20 minutes? People would do that.

No kidding. And if we're going to talk about high-speed rail between downtown and the island, we should probably also be talking about service to The Woodlands with an IAH connection.

I think that Galveston might consider paying an airline for a seasonal connection to DFW. That would probably go over well and probably wouldn't cost as much as having more widespread service.

I was thinking this, too. Using DFW as a domestic hub and running an American Eagle shuttle 3-4 times a day seems to make sense. It would also boost cruise traffic.

Of course this idea would hurt Houston airport traffic -- especially international traffic, as it would be much easier for Galvestonians to commute to DFW for international flights, than to commute to IAH. So, I doubt it would happen. Perhaps a DAL without the Wright Amendment would make more sense. Most of the seats lost to commuting Galvestonians who would have otherwise gone to HOU would be Southwest seats anyway, so they wouldn't mind.

Edited by dalparadise

That's what it's like in Hong Kong. The new airport is far out of the city on a different island entirely. By car it's a little over an hour (two or more with traffic), but about 25 minutes by train.

Why?

So they could take the train to Galveston to pick up their rental car?

Galveston without a car is fun for about 24 hours.

After that people want to explore the island on their own.

Why?

So they could take the train to Galveston to pick up their rental car?

Galveston without a car is fun for about 24 hours.

After that people want to explore the island on their own.

Well, I'd suggest Galveston look into the same things other closely contained places have to move people around. I think a reliable trolly service from 61st to The Strand with plenty of regular stops along the way, at various points of interest would also do well. I can't really imagine conventioneers wanting to venture much past 61st street.

Galveston is still small and dense enough to make a transportation system work. Maybe they should think about it.

Well, I'd suggest Galveston look into the same things other closely contained places have to move people around. I think a reliable trolly service from 61st to The Strand with plenty of regular stops along the way, at various points of interest would also do well. I can't really imagine conventioneers wanting to venture much past 61st street.

Galveston is still small and dense enough to make a transportation system work. Maybe they should think about it.

A real trolley, please. Not those diesel smoke-belching monstrosities they have now. They just ruin the atmosphere and make the city seem backward.

The build rail and they will come is a social experiment still underway in Houston. We built it, and we are still waiting for them to come back.

The last passenger train left Galveston in 1967. It's romantic, and all that, but other than The Strand and Seawall there is not much pedestrian activity.

The build rail and they will come is a social experiment still underway in Houston. We built it, and we are still waiting for them to come back.

The last passenger train left Galveston in 1967. It's romantic, and all that, but other than The Strand and Seawall there is not much pedestrian activity.

Bull. There's plenty of pedestrian activity in Galveston, and it's out there during all hours of the night and day. It's a 24-hour city, afterall. In fact, one such example of Galveston's pedestrian activity pulled a knife on me late one night.

Seriously, though, Galveston has two things going for it: existing population density and tourism. The Red Line has very low residential population density near it and Houston's limited number of tourists typically don't have much of a reason to use it. The only problem Galveston might have is that some of its population and the tourists might not get along too well.

• The title was changed to Galveston Hobby Airport