I-45 Freeway Expansion

I just read on the City of Webster webpage that I-45 Gulf Freeway construction is intended to start in February or March. I couldn't find any information on TXDOT but I'm not surprised.

I had read a while back that the plan was to expand 45 to 5 main lanes from B8 to 518 and then four main lanes from 518 to Galveston. The website above says 39 months to complete the project. I believe the NASA Bypass project is supposed to be complete one year from now.

Does anyone have any more information on this project?

Along these lines, they (whoever they are) changed the 45 southbound exit to Bay Area Blvd. Originally, you'd exit to the feeder, then the far right feeder lane would split and take you to Baybrook Mall. After that exit, the feeder would widen slightly and one additional lane was added. Then the right TWO LANES would exit onto the Bay Area ramp and circle around to head east. Yesterday, they decided to take the far right lane away and paint lines over it. WHY???? Just about a year ago they added the second lane to the ramp. Now they are making it single file to exit onto the double turn lane. It's just wasted road. My only guess is that there was an accident with the double lane because someone couldn't stay in their own lane. But I don't know.

Does anyone have any more information on this project?

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgcha...s.htm#050003544

According to the TxDOT web site, a $31 million project at NASA 1 (old NASA 1) is scheduled for award in May 2007. That project is for 1 mile of freeway. The project appears to be the only work that is imminent. As you mentioned, there are plans for upgrading the freeway from BW8 southward. My guess is that more contracts will be awarded within the next few years.

• The title was changed to I-45 Freeway Expansion