Property Taxes or Death!

......Hi! I am new to Houston. Moved here in February and I love it. You see I DON'T pay your outrageous taxes!! >:) unlike my relatives here who do and must come up with these different taxes that (right after the holidays) are outrageous. To me anyway. They are use to it though. They have all planned for these January bills by saving and working extra jobs. I was wondering how any of you deal with this expense all at once. I live with my son so I will help as muh as I can but......I was wondering if they can set up payment plans with ISD, MUD and property taxes, etc.?

......Hi! I am new to Houston. Moved here in February and I love it. You see I DON'T pay your outrageous taxes!! >:) unlike my relatives here who do and must come up with these different taxes that (right after the holidays) are outrageous. To me anyway. They are use to it though. They have all planned for these January bills by saving and working extra jobs. I was wondering how any of you deal with this expense all at once. I live with my son so I will help as muh as I can but......I was wondering if they can set up payment plans with ISD, MUD and property taxes, etc.?

Without income taxes, the money must come from somewhere.

Either you rent or you are breaking the law. Which?

Wow!....you guys are attack dogs! I wonder what did I say about MYSELF that took me from a probable renter to BREAKING THE LAW! Is that how you WELCOME people on this forum? My post (if read ) pertained to my Houston relatives....... not me. Oh well, one thing I have found out about Houston though is that people are suspicious of others. Oh and I am not from the Katrina deluge (FAR from it ) so ....save that one. :blink:

Wow!....you guys are attack dogs! I wonder what did I say about MYSELF that took me from a probable renter to BREAKING THE LAW! Is that how you WELCOME people on this forum? My post (if read ) pertained to my Houston relatives....... not me. Oh well, one thing I have found out about Houston though is that people are suspicious of others. Oh and I am not from the Katrina deluge (FAR from it ) so ....save that one. :blink:

I won't apologize for some of the more tasteless posts but I will tell you what we do. We put a certain amount into special interest bearing accounts each month-sort of like personal escrow accounts. When January rolls around, we usually have more than enough for any taxes and insurance bills due.

Either you rent or you are breaking the law. Which?

...or are retired/disabled and living with your son?

i would assume the attacks came from:

Moved here in February and I love it. You see I DON'T pay your outrageous taxes!! >:)
Edited by sevfiv

A good source of information is cutmytaxes.com

Welcome to Houston and this discussion group.

• 1 month later...

First I live in a cheap house so the taxes won't be so high, then I make monthly contributions to a mutal fund so my money can make some money to pay my taxes. Even though county, mud and school taxes are all due at the same time you really have about 3 months to pay them. So even though I have the money saved up I usually just pay one tax per month over the course of 3 months. If it were not for the high taxes I would buy a larger house, spend more money at home depot and have a higher electric bill. That would be good for the economy. But as long as taxes are high I prefer to stay in my small house and hoard my money till I retire and can move out of state and buy a large house with low taxes.

......Hi! I am new to Houston. Moved here in February and I love it. You see I DON'T pay your outrageous taxes!! > :) unlike my relatives here who do and must come up with these different taxes that (right after the holidays) are outrageous. To me anyway. They are use to it though. They have all planned for these January bills by saving and working extra jobs. I was wondering how any of you deal with this expense all at once. I live with my son so I will help as muh as I can but......I was wondering if they can set up payment plans with ISD, MUD and property taxes, etc.?

• 3 weeks later...

Not paying state income tax makes a huge difference. I'd take higher property taxes over my MD state income tax any day. My wife and I together lose about $700-800/month to state income taxes so multiple that by twelve and you'll see what I'm talking about, especially since we still have to pay property taxes (really not THAT much lower) as well. Couple the no income tax with the low cost of housing and Houston really is the best deal for a large city. It's true the government is going to get it from you one way or another, but all things said, I feel like the overall tax burden in TX and Houston is lower than most other places.

Not paying state income tax makes a huge difference. I'd take higher property taxes over my MD state income tax any day. My wife and I together lose about $700-800/month to state income taxes so multiple that by twelve and you'll see what I'm talking about, especially since we still have to pay property taxes (really not THAT much lower) as well. Couple the no income tax with the low cost of housing and Houston really is the best deal for a large city. It's true the government is going to get it from you one way or another, but all things said, I feel like the overall tax burden in TX and Houston is lower than most other places.

Yeah, you have that right. Along with the price of houses here (very reasonable) ... you are better off in Houston than most places even with the property taxes.

Well, sometimes it's a tough crowd, but welcome to HAIF. :)

I don't have an escrow account at the moment, but I just have a monthly automatic deduction for taxes.