Meyer Speedway At 14015 South Main St.

harvick2win

WestburySouth-1960.jpg

I was reading a HAIF forum thread about Westbury Square and one the first page, a HAIF member named "Stu" posted an aerial shot of the Meyerland area in 1960 that showed the Meyer Speedway under construction.  The photo's description by "Stu" read:

Here is a 1960 photo that MK made reference to in an earlier post of his about the location of an old airfield in Westbury. This came from a website about old air fields in the Houston area. This is of an area of Westbury South, where I bought my first house in 1961. You're looking south in the picture with South Main (Hwy 90A) running east-west across the top. Chimney Rock is the north-south street to the far left. Landsdowne (street my house was on) is the next street to the right running parallel to Chimney Rock. That's Meyer Speedway under construction at the top. W. Airport is in the middle of the photo, starting at the little curve in Chimney Rock. No Hillcroft yet.

• Like 1

I remember working there in 64 &65 selling 'Cold Beer,penuts, popcorn' and I was only 15 but I found a way to get in! In 66 we snuck in over the fence on the back strech and hid in the

old destruction derby cars piled in the infield, and by 7 we were in the infield and no questions asked. I loved that place.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We moved to the area in 1958 and I'm sure my Dad would have known about it, but I don't recall him saying anything about it. But in about 1960, he did mention Meyer Speedway,but I was only 11 yrs old, and I was out there

by 1962 on my bycycle. I've noticed a number of these impressions on the old arieals of Houston all over. I might venture to say the were horse trainning tracks, which were more common back then. I'll try to dig up some more info.

• Like 1

The 1957 aerial photo show that there was another track under the old K-Mart parking lot.  Does anyone know what that track was called?

I believe that was the old bicycle race track. Between heat races me and my dad would walk over and catch the bike racing. The track was a high banked wooden track.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's a bit of personal Meyer Speedway trivia.

When I took Drivers Ed at Westbury HS in 1970, we would attend the classroom phase at the school, of course. But for part of the Behind The Wheel phase, we would load up in a van and drive to Meyer Speedway, aka "The Range". The Drivers Ed cars were located there and we would proceed to practice basic driving skills to be followed by real street driving.

The temptation was everpresent to kick it on the straightaway, knowing it may be the only chance in your lifetime to be on a racetrack. However, if your speed began to exceed the acceptable limit, one look from the coach would quickly shatter your AJ Foyt fantasy.

I did the same thing in 1968.  All the cars were brand new Camaro's and the "coach" would sit in the stands and communicate with us through the FM radio in the cars.  We would practice entering freeways and exiting.  We were always telling him that our radios weren't picking up his commands.  So, we could fly down the straightaways.  

All of the Camaros had 350 hp engines and were automatics.  Except for one manual transmission that had a 454 in it.  There was only one guy in the class who already knew how to drive a stick shift, so I never got to drive that beast.

Great story to tell people that I learned to drive on an oval track.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I found some old racetrack somewhere in South Houston, and it seemed to be for vehicles, not for horses. It had smaller loops inside and all. I'll try to find it again.

EDIT: found it, in 1978, in Google Earth, a racetrack appears at the southeast corner of Main and Hillcroft. It was gone by 1989.

Edited by IronTiger
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, IronTiger said:

I found some old racetrack somewhere in South Houston, and it seemed to be for vehicles, not for horses. It had smaller loops inside and all. I'll try to find it again.

EDIT: found it, in 1978, in Google Earth, a racetrack appears at the southeast corner of Main and Hillcroft. It was gone by 1989.

Also called Meyer Speedway. Mostly stock car and funny car races. Also great demolition derby's back in the day. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...
On 1/16/2009 at 10:12 PM, roym said:

Wow - incredible video! Thanks for posting!

We lived across the street from the Blumericks on Bronson street 57 to 61, remember him having his car at the house before a race, he had trophies all over his living room.

In 68 we moved back on same street just farther down, I don't remember if he as still racing. His son Larry and daughter Andrea were about 4 years older than me. His second generation daughters were my younger brothers age and they went to school together. He was a really cool guy.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Meyer Speedway At 14015 South Main St.
  • 5 months later...