Blacks' Literacy Test

nmm

A real test given to african americans in 1965 so they can vote. one wrong answer means no vote. would you pass?

State of Louisiana

One wrong answer denotes failure of the test. (10 min)

1.Draw a line around the number or letter of this sentence.

2.Draw a line under the last word in this line.

3.Cross out the longest word in this line.

4.Draw a line around the shortest word in this line.

5.Circle the first, first letter of the alphabet in this line.

6.In the space below draw three circles, one inside the other.

7.Above the letter X make a small cross.

8.Draw a line through the letter below that comes earliest in the alphabet. ZVSEDGMKYTPHC

9.Draw a line through the letter below that comes last in the alphabet. ZVSEDGMKYTPHC

10.In the space below write the word noise backwards and place a dot over what would be its second letter should it have been written forward.

11.Give your age in days.

A real test given to african americans in 1965 so they can vote. one wrong answer means no vote. would you pass?

State of Louisiana

One wrong answer denotes failure of the test. (10 min)

1.Draw a line around the number or letter of this sentence.

2.Draw a line under the last word in this line.

3.Cross out the longest word in this line.

4.Draw a line around the shortest word in this line.

5.Circle the first, first letter of the alphabet in this line.

6.In the space below draw three circles, one inside the other.

7.Above the letter X make a small cross.

8.Draw a line through the letter below that comes earliest in the alphabet. ZVSEDGMKYTPHC

9.Draw a line through the letter below that comes last in the alphabet. ZVSEDGMKYTPHC

10.In the space below write the word noise backwards and place a dot over what would be its second letter should it have been written forward.

11.Give your age in days.

seems simple, although 5 is a bit strangely (first is written twice?) written as is 10 (assume they mean the letter o needs a dot)

Edited by Pumapayam

I couldn't answer 11. Unless I had a calculator. Which they didn't have in 1965.

And how is one to know that the person checking the answers is 100% accurate? Suppose I remember to include extra days for leap years and he/she doesn't?

nmm, where did you obtain this document? It's sickening to think such shenanigans were permitted in America.

And how is one to know that the person checking the answers is 100% accurate? Suppose I remember to include extra days for leap years and he/she doesn't?

nmm, where did you obtain this document? It's sickening to think such shenanigans were permitted in America.

Let's not forget this was Louisiana, dbig. 1965 in Louisana years would be 1865 for most of the rest of the world.

Question four is especially bogus in that it asks you to draw a line around the shortest word in the group. By definition, a line doesn't go "around" anything. It is straight. Zero degrees. Question one is written in the same disingenuous way. If they wanted a line "around" something, they would've asked you to circle, as they did in question 5.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

seems simple, although 5 is a bit strangely (first is written twice?) written as is 10 (assume they mean the letter o needs a dot)

Really? You can draw a line around anything?

ETA, nm I didn't see Hizzy's post.

Edited by westguy

A "line" is not geometrically straight a don't believe. I am more likely to believe it was ignorance on the part of the test writer than a complex geometric trick.

No ignorance on the part of the test writer. The use of line (instead of circle) was there to confuse the test taker. Obviously they had no plans to have anyone pass that test.

Edited by west20th

Watch the "Rosa Parks Story" or the docudrama that deals with the lives of the 3 civil rights workers that were killed. They show in detail these test and how they were administered and how often times the test takers pointed out the flaws and errors in the tests. Also shows the responses of the test administers. Very eye opening stuff...........

You have to realize, this test was designed for 100% failure rate, it was their way around letting minorities vote. This wasn't just done in Louisiana, but Texas, Mississippi, Georgia, and I am sure a few more states. It was the deep south's way of giving the finger to emancipation. The bigotry and civil rights violations still ran ramp-id in the south. Did you know in San Jacinto County Texas (Coldspring) they still had White and Colored water fountains and restroom facilities up until 1983, when they arrested Sheriff James "Humpy" Parker, and several of his deputies. The white and colored signs were removed by court order not long after. If you go to the basement of the courthouse to this day, you can't still see, if you look closely, the outline where it was stenciled on the bathroom doors. Just another reminder of a day gone by that wasn't all that long ago.

Ummm...guys....these are your grandparents who created the Tests.

>>

Nmm, at least back then they were given a chance to vote and now they can vote without question, unlike the women in most of your Muslim countries TODAY ! Those are YOUR Grandparents making those rules Chief.

Edited by TJones

Nmm, at least back then they were given a chance to vote and now they can vote without question, unlike the women in most of your Muslim countries TODAY ! Those are YOUR Grandparents making those rules Chief.

Well, in my grandparents countries, everyone can vote . . . but its always a rigged election :P

And who told you women cant vote again? You always bring up women.

Very interesting. I would have failed that test simply because I would most likely out-think myself. AND, that last question seems more like a math equation than a literacy test. I wonder what white folks' scores in the Deep South would have been?

Sad to think this really wasn't all that long ago. In fact, the University of Texas celebrated the last "all-white" college football championship team the year I was born (1969-1970 season).

Thanks for the links Vic, I have a family history book from my fathers mom side of the family. The book describes my family history in owning slaves and also burning witches at their stake in Hanover VA, I'm not proud of my family's past but a least it was recorded for the next generation of youngsters to learn from. I will try to post some paragraphs from the book. I have permission to reproduce passages from the book." Rowland and Barron Family History" Copyright by M.N. Rowland 1991

Edited by Marty

Thanks for the links Vic, I have a family history book from my fathers mom side of the family. The book describes my family history in owning slaves and also burning witches at their stake in Hanover VA I'm not proud of my family's past but a least it was recorded for the next generation of youngsters to learn from. I will try to post some paragraphs from the book. I have permission to reproduce passages from the book.

That would be great if you could.

That would be great if you could.

I am going to call him this weekend and see how many copies he got left. These books were sold at book stores from Little Rock to the District of Columbia. I cant remember how many were produce in the 1990's, I got two copies one is in bad condition and the other is in perfect condition.

Ummm...guys....these are your grandparents who created the Tests.

>>

Not mine. I'm a yankee (midwesterner to be precise). I have to say though the northerners can be just as bigoted a the southerners. More so in some of the rust belt cities. Still very segragated.

Well, in my grandparents countries, everyone can vote . . . but its always a rigged election :P

And who told you women cant vote again? You always bring up women.

Oh wow, it looks like Kuwaiti women finally got the right to vote in 2005, how forward thinking of your Muslim brothers. If it wasn't for the U.S.A. in 2003, women in Afghanistan and Iraq would still not be able to be heard. Wake up Junior. I guess Saudi Arabia doesn't count because they are under a Monarchy, where women basically have NO RIGHTS AT ALL !

Don't act like Our forefathers are "unbelievable" because they made up some test 40 some-odd years ago, Slick. Your forefathers are the epitome of "unbelievable" when it comes to civil rights. You are simply a wannabe instigator. Before you point fingers, look into your own culture and heritage first. You are nothing more than a hatemonger towards America, and you prove it time and time again here on this forum. Why don't you pack up and go back to the Westbank since you hate it so much here ? <_<:huh:

Here's some nice LITE reading for everyone here. I find it to be a little bit of propaganda, I feel confident it is most likely the truth though. I'll let you folks decide for yourselves.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/myths/mf16.html

Edited by TJones

No. You mistook my comment. I didnt mean it in the tone you understood it.

Moreover, im not Arab. So while your statistics may be correct, your talking to the wrong guy.

Also, i love America. Ill admit i wish we had stronger familiy values, but when it comes to Civil Rights and Human Rights, this place is exactly where i want to be. No other Culture in the world has the freedoms and unbiased Human Rights that this nation grants to its Citizens.

And this thread was to remind us of the long path we took to get to these Rights.

Edited by nmm