Breast feeding moms, please be discreet

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

It's about context. Yes, you see a lot more skin on the beach. But it's still inappropriate for someone to wear a bikini in a fine restaurant.

Also, you're watching J-Lo through tens of thousands of miles of electronic transmission. You're not sitting next to her on a plane.

Yeah, I'm with DJ...in most cases.

I think that you're right that its about context, but your example probably isn't a good one. I'd have no problem sitting next to a bikini-clad J-Lo on a plane or in a restaurant. Hell, if I thought I could get away with it, I might even ask for a suckle...but that's beside the point.

Now if we're talking about a bikini-clad Rosie O'Donnell [My brain just went blind!!!], well that just ain't right. So you're correct, essentially. It is all about context.

I've seen many a woman litterally whip out a tit and have the kid hanging on. This is not discreet. You do not know how discreet the woman was being.

What ever happened to just being polite?

Even if that was the case, why is it a problem? The mother is feeding her child, avert your gaze if you don't want to see. It's not like she's standing in traffic shaking it around, the woman's baby was hungry, that's how babies eat, welcome to biology.

Let's focus on a real "discreet" issue here, let's ban plumbers from showing their crack! Now that needs to be covered up.

When did it become a problem for a mother to feed her child? I don't understand why people get their panties in a bunch when they witness this natural phenomenon. Get over it, there is nothing more natural than breast feeding. Not to mention the fact that it's been going on for thousands of years and will continue to do so.

Furthermore, if she was in the window seat of the back row of a plane, who was she bothering? The flight attendent? Get over it, it's not your child and therefore not your decision how the child is fed.

I just don't see how feeding a child is so controversial. It's not like she's at the Super Bowl with a starburst on her nipple.

especially considering the fixation that most straight american men have with breasts. i mean, what IS the big deal?

If you look at womens fashions, designers have exposed just about every part of the breast except the nipple. Wearing pasties makes the female breast legal in public - why shouldn't a baby? A fat-faced kid covers a lot more area. I'm willing to bet that J-Lo has exposed more flesh on the red carpet than that passenger did in a discreet airline seat.

Our society has such a weird double standard about breasts. They're to be leered at or regarded with alarm and horror. They're to be padded or enlarged, and then covered, but emphasized. I wonder how women keep their sanity.

That being said, I'm among those who believe that anything regarding excretions or secretions should be dealt with in private whenever possible. If that's not an option, discretion is called for.

An aside: it's my understanding that breast feeding discourages weight gain in the mother. Could this be a reason women might delay weaning their children?

well you saw the uproar over the janet jackson breast malffunction (or whatever it was called).

it was one of the most top reviewed tivo segments in history so i hear, yet supposedly people we 'outraged'.

gimme a break.

Edited by houstonmacbro

When I was a kid I observed farm animals having sex and other animals-including my aunts- breast feeding.

I don't recall being repulsed anymore than when I have seen my sisters breast feed any of my 6 nieces and nephews in public and private. Get past it. :)

Does this change supporters of breastfeeding in public minds?

Men Can Also Offer Their Babies a Nipple

Infants in the 'Sucking' Phase of Development Are Also Soothed by Father's Breast

By SHANNON ROGAN and EMILY KAGAN

It's Father's Day and daddy has taken the baby for a walk. A few steps from the house the baby starts to fuss, so daddy picks her up and offers her

Does this change supporters of breastfeeding in public minds?

Men Can Also Offer Their Babies a Nipple

Infants in the 'Sucking' Phase of Development Are Also Soothed by Father's Breast

If I found out I sucked my father's hairy nipple as a kid, I'd be pissed :angry2:

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Milkmen: Fathers Who Breastfeed

by Laura Shanley

David and John

I first became interested in male lactation in 1978 after reading Dana Raphael's book, The Tender Gift: Breastfeeding. Although Raphael only dealt with the subject briefly, she did say that men can and have produced milk after stimulating their nipples.

While my husband David had no interest in nursing our son, we both were intrigued with the idea. We had just had our first unassisted homebirth and were excited about applying our positive thinking techniques to other aspects of our lives. Although Raphael had written about milk production through nipple stimulation, perhaps, we thought, David could do it simply through suggestion. He began telling himself that he would lactate, and within a week, one of his breasts swelled up and milk began dripping out. When we excitedly showed my father (a physician) David's breast he said, "Obviously there's something physiologically wrong with David." The fact that David had willed himself to do this, did not impress him. We knew, however, that this was yet another example of the power of the mind.

Still, we were not ready for David to actually breastfeed our baby. First of all, there was no need for it. I was doing just fine on my own. But more importantly, he simply had no desire to do it. After he discovered that his body had indeed been responsive to his thoughts, he suggested to himself that the lactation would stop, and within a week his breast returned to normal. The experiment had been a success.

We didn't give it much thought after that until years later when I came across a short article called "Male Lactation" by Professor Patty Stuart Macadam of the Department of Anthropology at the University of Toronto (Compleat Mother, Fall, 1996, Volume 43).

It is possible, and has been observed in animals and humans. In 1992, 18 Dayak fruit bats were captured from a rainforest in the Krau Game Reserve, Pahang, Malaysia. Of the 10 mature males captured, each had functional mammary glands from which small amounts of milk were expressed. A breast is a breast. Male lactation is physiologically possible and, according to Dr. Robert Greenblatt, production in males can be stimulated by letting a baby suckle for several weeks. Indeed some human males secrete milk at birth and at puberty.Historically, male lactation was noted by the German explorer Alexander Freiherr von Humboldt prior to 1859, who wrote of a 32-year-old man who breastfed his child for five months. It was also observed in a 55-year-old Baltimore man who had been the wetnurse of the children of his mistress.

My interest in male lactation was piqued again when I recently received the following letter from a friend of mine.

I knew these two wonderful guys, very dear friends of mine for years. A mutual acquaintance of ours was pregnant, unplanned, and did not want to do the whole "adoption thing" so when the guys approached her about taking the baby, they just proceeded as if it had been a planned surrogate pregnancy. The guys were adamant that the baby should get breastmilk. So when she was in her 7th month we bought a really good quality breastpump and Ian started pumping, every 2 hours during the day and once during the night. He was wonderful about it! He used an SNS (supplimental nursing system) after she was born, with donated milk from several friends who were nursing. He was making milk but not a full supply. By the time the baby was 12 weeks old he was making a full milk supply! He stayed at home with the baby (he was a massage therapist) and nursed her exclusively until she was 8 months old!! I don't think many people outside their intimate circle knew about it, I'm sure folks would have had a fit if they'd known...but I thought it was wonderful...........................

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscar...es/milkmen.html

I'm passing this along for Sarah Walker, a social anthropologist in the UK: http://www.switch.tv/videos/39

I am a social anthropologist currently undertaking research into the sexual politics of breastfeeding. I first became aware of men's capacity to breastfeed upon reading Helen Marieskind's article entitled 'Abnormal Lactation' in the Journal of Tropical Pediatrics and Environmental Child Health. Marieskind establishes the scientific case for men's capacity to breastfeed and in doing so effectively undermines one of the key premises underlying much feminist literature on breastfeeding i.e. breastfeeding is the exclusive capacity of women. The fact that man's capacity to breastfeed is left largely unrealised in our society has far-reaching theoretical and practical implications and may be seen to reveal a great deal about our culture. This is a fascinating issue that I am keen to investigate further. I would like to hear from any breastfeeding fathers who are willing to share their experiences with me.

All the best,

Sarah Walker

Sri Lankan widower breastfeeds his babies

Colombo - A 38-year-old Sri Lankan man, whose wife had died three months ago, appears to have the ability to breastfeed his two infant daughters, doctors said on Wednesday.

The man, from the central town of Walapone, lost his wife during childbirth.

"My eldest daughter refused to be fed with powdered milk liquid in the feeding bottle.

"I was so moved one evening and to stop her crying I offered my breast. I then realised that I was capable of breastfeeding her," the man admitted.

Dr Kamal Jayasinghe, deputy director of a Sri Lankan government hospital, was quoted as saying it was possible for men to produce milk if the prolactine hormone became hyperactive. - Sapa-AFP

4539st3.jpg