Country Club Place

Actually, the address is 6328 Brookside and the Registered Texas Historical Marker you are referring to is titled the Angelo and Lillian Minella House. This is how the inscription on the marker reads:

By 1946, Angelo and Lillian Minella had moved to Houston, where Angelo operated a plumbing and heating supply company. The couple hired architect Allen R. Williams, Jr. to design this residence, finished in 1950. It was one of several "Century Built Homes" designed by Williams, who developed a standardized, all-masonry plan used in various iterations by other Houston families. Built of concrete tiles, the home features a complex roofline, dominant brick chimney and planter boxes, and the clean, asymmetrical lines typical of mid-20th century Ranch style houses. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006

Thanks for the correction and info. Fez1964 and Vertigo58. I grew up admiring these homes, as well as the ones in Idylwood.

Thanks for the correction and info. Fez1964 and Vertigo58. I grew up admiring these homes, as well as the ones in Idylwood.

Just take a glance at most Near East End topics. Country Club Place had to have been one of the best places to live in Houston back in it's hey day. Imagination (or visual images) tell me that families probably walked in groups all dressed up to their local house of worship and then walked over to Dinner Bell to eat and mingle with all other neighbor's from nearby Idlywood, Sunnyland, etc. It must have been very Beaver Cleaver-like and that is so cool! You had Church of the Reedemer on Lawndale/Jocylne street, across the street (Lawndale) you had Church of Christ and then opposite corner was the "grand" Vila De Matel Convent Basilica (when it was open to the public). If you notice how vast the parking lot is at Dinner Bell to this day, it could have been quite full in the 40's, 50's & 60's. The brick arches stand like silent gaurds at the Country Club entry as if to invite you in. We know a family that has lived there since the early 60's on a corner and they have seen it all. You can hear the quiet ring of the convent bells in the distance to this day. See early photos (postcard) of the convent under Holy Places section of this forum. There are hardly any tall trees to be seen! That is what now masks the beautiful Basilica from Lawndale side. In fact the whole bordering streets around the convent would be ideal for new construction! Developers are truly missing out! Two story homes on our side have views of the wooded area to East and DT skyline to the West. Country Club is just a diamond in the rough waiting to be discovered. :blush: Buy now people!

Just take a glance at most Near East End topics. Country Club Place had to have been one of the best places to live in Houston back in it's hey day. Imagination (or visual images) tell me that families probably walked in groups all dressed up to their local house of worship and then walked over to Dinner Bell to eat and mingle with all other neighbor's from nearby Idlywood, Sunnyland, etc. It must have been very Beaver Cleaver-like and that is so cool! You had Church of the Reedemer on Lawndale/Jocylne street, across the street (Lawndale) you had Church of Christ and then opposite corner was the "grand" Vila De Matel Convent Basilica (when it was open to the public). If you notice how vast the parking lot is at Dinner Bell to this day, it could have been quite full in the 40's, 50's & 60's. The brick arches stand like silent gaurds at the Country Club entry as if to invite you in. We know a family that has lived there since the early 60's on a corner and they have seen it all. You can hear the quiet ring of the convent bells in the distance to this day. See early photos (postcard) of the convent under Holy Places section of this forum. There are hardly any tall trees to be seen! That is what now masks the beautiful Basilica from Lawndale side. In fact the whole bordering streets around the convent would be ideal for new construction! Developers are truly missing out! Two story homes on our side have views of the wooded area to East and DT skyline to the West. Country Club is just a diamond in the rough waiting to be discovered. :blush: Buy now people!

Dinner Bell parking lot was full all the time, I grew up going there...you guys (and gals) are awesome, nice to know there are vintage architecture lovers like me out there. If you have a chance, read about my East End roots in the Burton Chapman book subject ..my family goes back 4 generations in Houston.

Also, my grandmothers cousin lived in Country Club Place in the 50's-60's. Went to their home on several occasions. It sat on the corner of Country Club Place and ?. Couldn't miss it, had a life-size totem pole in the front yard. Anyone remember that? I know the couple took trips to Alaska quite often. They later moved it to a bayhouse.

Correction : The "totem pole" house sat at the corner of Villa de Matel and Brookside, address 6450 Brookside. There were also apartments across the street, on the corner, built same time as homes. There is now a HISD school playground in the apts. place.

Dinner Bell parking lot was full all the time, I grew up going there...you guys (and gals) are awesome, nice to know there are vintage architecture lovers like me out there. If you have a chance, read about my East End roots in the Burton Chapman book subject ..my family goes back 4 generations in Houston.

Also, my grandmothers cousin lived in Country Club Place in the 50's-60's. Went to their home on several occasions. It sat on the corner of Country Club Place and ?. Couldn't miss it, had a life-size totem pole in the front yard. Anyone remember that? I know the couple took trips to Alaska quite often. They later moved it to a bayhouse.

Correction : The "totem pole" house sat at the corner of Villa de Matel and Brookside, address 6450 Brookside. There were also apartments across the street, on the corner, built same time as homes. There is now a HISD school playground in the apts. place.

Not sure where I was told that if you see the arches of Country Club Place the big red brick house on the left (on Lawndale) was once owned by the Mother Superior of Vila de Matel across the street. Supposedly several of the clergy have lived in and had meetings for years? The people we grew up with never wanted to move away and bought up several more homes next door to where they grew up. Smart move! Directly behind Dinner Bell. The aroma of the good food always made us hungry. :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

From Fez1964: "Actually, the address is 6328 Brookside and the Registered Texas Historical Marker you are referring to is titled the Angelo and Lillian Minella House. This is how the inscription on the marker reads:"

By 1946, Angelo and Lillian Minella had moved to Houston, where Angelo operated a plumbing and heating supply company. The couple hired architect Allen R. Williams, Jr. to design this residence, finished in 1950. It was one of several "Century Built Homes" designed by Williams, who developed a standardized, all-masonry plan used in various iterations by other Houston families. Built of concrete tiles, the home features a complex roofline, dominant brick chimney and planter boxes, and the clean, asymmetrical lines typical of mid-20th century Ranch style houses. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006

I've added pics: 6328 Brookside

HistMkrHs.jpg

From Fez1964: "Actually, the address is 6328 Brookside and the Registered Texas Historical Marker you are referring to is titled the Angelo and Lillian Minella House.

I honestly do not see anything in the least historical in appearance of these homes? Now they do seem like late 1940's moderne as the homes in Glenbrook Valley. Other than that, well I guess I missed something. They seem like A-typical homes of the times? Now the Vila De Matel Convent I can understand being awarded a historical something or the other. :D

Someone thinks that white one is important. They gave it a marker. I can appreciate the design aspects, but it is not particularly my favorite. (The story is interesting). The gray one is a fav of mine, but doesn't have a marker. I wanted to show how nicely kept some of these homes are. The gray house has wonderful landscaping, reminiscent of its time.

:) Thank you Marmer, knew the white house was significant!

I am a new member of Rice Design Alliance (RDA), along with HAIF, and can't wait to get ahold of the old Cite articles to read. (believe I can find them in the Rice library).

6328 Brookside is Ben Koush's house. It was featured in an article he wrote for Cite 69, Winter 2006. (along with an article about the Wayside area.)

i must say you would be a great teacher. i think i have his address memorized. LOL

Marmer thought you were just trying to make your point, very loudly. Those darned computer glitches! :P

Musicman thanks for the laugh yesterday, I was overdue for one. :lol:

And Vertigo58, you better write that sentence on the chalkboard 100 times. :)

The Villa De Matel is grand, lets hope it stays that way. It's been there for a very long time.That much land, untouched in this city is a rarety. Even for a holy place.

Archived