Copper thefts

musicman

The just had a news report where copper thieves are now going into backyards to steal copper out of a/c units. they are also stealing copper phone lines off of telephone poles. The interviewed a lady who said that in the past two weeks her phone has been out twice because of copper thefts. the first time 3 days and the last time for a week.

My condenser unit is on the side of the house i wonder if i should plant a shrub about 5 feet in front of it to hide it or would that make it easier for the thieves? i live on a busy road.

My condenser unit is on the side of the house i wonder if i should plant a shrub about 5 feet in front of it to hide it or would that make it easier for the thieves? i live on a busy road.

hopefully the abundance of traffic will help....but then, maybe they might think that the thieves are a/c repairman.

A/c theft itself has been going on for yrs anyway.

The just had a news report where copper thieves are now going into backyards to steal copper out of a/c units. they are also stealing copper phone lines off of telephone poles. The interviewed a lady who said that in the past two weeks her phone has been out twice because of copper thefts. the first time 3 days and the last time for a week.

In Dallas they've stolen a good portion of the copper wires to the highway lights around town. These are on very busy roads, like I35.

Jason

Edited by JasonDFW

They said last night on the news that it was like $3.80/pound or something like that. Plus its fairly dense, so you don't need a lot to get a pound's worth.

Scrap copper is down to almost $3/lb. [been buying alot for sculpture lately]

Futures are holding pretty steady at $3.4-3.5/lb.

There's a growing surplus in China so the theft cycle may be on the downturn.

My neighbor across the street has had her A/C unit stripped recently. She caged it with a locked door but...she didn't attach the cage to the slab sooooooooo... :(

She's out of town and doesnt know it yet. :huh:

Edited by nmainguy

Scrap copper is down to almost $3/lb. [been buying alot for sculpture lately]

Futures are holding pretty steady at $3.4-3.5/lb.

There's a growing surplus in China so the theft cycle may be on the downturn.

My neighbor across the street has had her A/C unit stripped recently. She caged it with a locked door but...she didn't attach the cage to the slab sooooooooo... :(

She's out of town and doesnt know it yet. :huh:

These thiefs must be crack addicts. How much copper can be in an AC unit? Even 10 lbs is only $30.

These thiefs must be crack addicts. How much copper can be in an AC unit? Even 10 lbs is only $30.

There's a fair amount when you consider all the motor windings...of course it takes a bit of doing to crack open the compressor and get to all the coppery goodness inside.

This has been going on for a while now. There are a staggering number of churches and businesses in the 3rd ward that i am aware of that has had this happen. Seems they target places there that they know are not guarded at night or dont have people in or around under the cover of darkness.