The Woodlands College Park High School At 3701 College Park Dr.

bachanon

http://www.conroeisd.net/images/school/14.jpg

Main Entrance: State HWY 242 and Honor Roll Drive

http://www.conroeisd.net/images/school/cphs/newhs_site.jpg

Site Plan

The campus is scheduled to open in the fall of 2005.

The campus is located west of I-45 and east of Gosling on the south side of SH242.

The new Woodlands high school will have a capacity of roughly 2400 students.

The school will open with grades 9-11.

The campus will have 62 regular classrooms, 15 science rooms, 7 computer labs, 3 art rooms, 1 library, 1 band hall, 1 orchestra hall, 1 choir room, and 1 black box (drama) classroom. In addition, there will be two gyms, an auditorium, agriculture shop classrooms, a sub-varsity stadium/track, and an administration area.

http://www.conroe.isd.tenet.edu/schools/newhs_cafeteria.jpg

Rendering of Cafeteria

http://www.conroe.isd.tenet.edu/schools/newhs_mainstreet.jpg

Rendering of "Main Street"

Monday and Tuesday night this past week, CISD held a parent meeting on the progress of College Park HS. The renderings pale in comparison to the current construction photos shown this week.

• 1 month later...

Buildings start taking shape for College Park High School

Meetings to help kids, parents decide courses, schedules start Tuesday in The Woodlands

By CARISSA D. MIRE

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

zone04.jpg

Meetings for parents and students to discuss course selection for The Woodlands College Park High School are set for Tuesday for juniors, followed by a meeting for sophomores on Jan. 27 and on Feb. 3 for freshmen.

However, meetings are just a small part of what makes College Park High School Principal Mark Murrell excited about the new campus, set to open to ninth-, 10th- and 11th-graders in August.

Seniors will be added in the 2006-2007 school year.

Historical texture

"I'm just ready to be here," he said during a recent tour of the 350,000-square-foot building, which is nearing the final stages of construction. Murrell said he's extremely pleased with the three-story building's design, especially the front entrance

When College Park High School opens in August, approximately 1,700 students will roam its halls, Murrell estimated. When it opens its doors to seniors during the 2006-2007 school year, the number will increase to around 2,400, the campus' capacity.

What are the names of the other high schools in the Conroe ISD/Woodlands area and what are their capacity limits? This seems kinda small for the Woodlands. Is this a trend away from the mega-campuses of 5,000 students?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
i think the woodlands high school holds under 2000 kids.  maybe it's a new standard.  i hope so.

TWHS has two Campuses

McCullough has about 2,500 students and covers grades 9 - 10

The main TWHS campus holds the same number for 11 - 12.

However, this may change with the opening of College Park.

• 1 month later...

we toured college park high school this last week. it's amazing what they can do with 54 million dollars and 350,000 square feet.

the theatre/arts departments and science labs are better than some university facilities. state of the art. there are also security cameras throughout the hallways and stairwells, and the teachers' id badges will be also security cards that give time and date records of every locked exterior door they enter or exit.

there are noise reduction panels throughout all of the major public areas. it is very well thought out.

we're very excited to have it in our community.

Brooklyn Bagels is located near College Park High on Honor Roll Drive.

They will be making stops at the school, every hour on the hour, delivering bagels to teachers and staff, throughout the day. They also say that students have the phone number to BB keyed into their cell phones and BB will meet the students at the school in the morning with their bagel order, so the kiddos won't be late. I'm wondering if the new high school has Starbucks coffee coming out of their water fountains, too.... :lol:

What are the names of the other high schools in the Conroe ISD/Woodlands area and what are their capacity limits? This seems kinda small for the Woodlands. Is this a trend away from the mega-campuses of 5,000 students?

I'm not sure too many high schools went for the 5,000 student campuses, other than Plano and possibly a very few others. 2,500 seems more the norm.

The super sized Plano schools were built strictly to funnel more students for football superiority. It was hell on many of the teens going there, being thrust into such an overwhelmingly large setting. Hopefully, school administrators have seen the lack of wisdom in that approach.

The 4000+ for a high school is (or was) common in the Woodlands and nearby. The Woodlands High School last year was over 4000 (between 2 campuses). Both high schools in Spring ISD are well over 4000 right now.

But now that trend seems to be changing. The Woodlands plans for its 2 high schools to eventually settle around 3000. And they have a 3rd high school planned (the old McCullough). Spring ISD is building 2 more high schools and they're aiming for under 3000 for both. Everybody's citing research now that shows that smaller schools lead to more successful students.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when Kingwood was the biggest high school and when my graduating class was the biggest in Houston. Now it isn't so anymore...thank goodness, because I see no benefit whatsoever with kids being treated like cattle. I don't think my counselor or teachers even knew my name half the time.

• 3 weeks later...

the article identifies The Woodlands HS on Research Forest as overcrowded (despite the opening of The Woodlands College Park HS), not The Woodlands College Park HS on 242. College Park's capacity is around 2,400 and current enrollment is closer to 1,800 (according to principal Mark Murrell).

yes. in fact, the swimming coach implied at a parent/student meeting that the natatorium (to be built at/near the new stadium site) was already in the works. i don't remember hearing the word "proposed". he did encourage everyone to support these upcoming issues.

it seems that the school districts are so confident of funding that it's all just "red tape" (my words).

i'm all for these facilities, but i don't like feeling that i'm being fleeced. the football team booster club has had two fundraisers since may (i have a football player in the house). my school taxes have skyrocketed for a rental property i have in spring isd. don't get me wrong, i love this stuff (not the tax increases, the activities surrounding and including education).

i went to a private school in a metal building for 10 years and was better off (imho) than the majority of kids being educating with 250 million dollar plus bond issues every few years.

i digress. with all that said, i'm excited about the new stadium and natatorium. i wish i could be confident that the school districts were being frugal. <_<

• The title was changed to College Park High School The Woodlands Renovations
  • The title was changed to The Woodlands College Park High School At 3701 College Park Dr.