Houston Fire Department Station Names

VicMan

I found a list of fire safety brochures on the Houston Fire Department website.

One brochure (Burglar bars) is seen here: http://www.houstontx.gov/fire/publiced/bbars.html

A list of others is seen here:

http://www.houstontx.gov/fire/publiced/apartmentsafety.html

(Even though the website says "Apartment Safety Information," the brochures here also apply to homeowners)

I printed out all of these brochures and gave them to my school library.

The brochures above are available in English and Spanish.

If you live in an apartment complex or condominium, make sure your landlord/manager/complex owner knows about this checklist and follows it: http://www.houstontx.gov/fire/publiced/apa...y/checklist.pdf

Edited by VicMan

• 1 month later...
Hey, guys! For some reason, the Houston Fire Department doesn't divulge fire station names on its website - Only station numbers.

Here are some names (seen on the station's fire trucks) of the stations (See for a list)

* 3 = River Oaks

* 19 = Fifth Ward

* 33 = Medical Center

* 37 = Braes Heights

* 51 = Sharpstown

Know any other fire station names?

My dad is retired from HFD after 40+ yrs of service. He said that the stations are officially named by numbers. The river oaks, fifth ward, etc are the "general" area the particular station serves. Even the names have been known to change "magnolia park" vs "central park" but the station number designation remains the same. Not all trucks have the name designation on them either plus there is a fleet of reserves that don't either.

Edited by musicman

Interesting that there are trucks with no numbers. How do they call to each other on the radio? How do dispatchers address them?

trucks with no name designation...the numbers exist on all trucks including a number designation for the reserves

Edited by musicman

Either way, if a station has more than one name, I would call it "Name A/Name B"

Do any of you know any station names (other than the ones here) off the top of your heads?

one more time, the station does not have an official name other than the number designation.

one more time, the station does not have an official name other than the number designation.

One more: I know that already. I still want names, because the names exist anyway. If two different trucks in a given station have two names, then I would like both :) - If the station has no names, then it has none.

Edited by VicMan

One more: I know that already. I still want names, because the names exist anyway. If two different trucks in a given station have two names, then I would like both :) - If the station has no names, then it has none.

good luck :rolleyes: i just don't deal with high school students well. maybe your teacher could make it an assignment for you?

Edited by musicman

The trucks don't have names either. Just what they are and the station number. Engine/Pumper 29, Ladder 29, and Abulance 29 all live together at Station 29. On the side of the truck it would say E-29, L-29 or A-29.

The trucks don't have names either. Just what they are and the station number. Engine/Pumper 29, Ladder 29, and Abulance 29 all live together at Station 29. On the side of the truck it would say E-29, L-29 or A-29.

Ah, so 29's trucks must have no names - Some fire trucks do have names, but, according to Musicman, they are not official.

Anyway - this is the reason why I asked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Fire_Department

I wish to catalogue all Houston fire stations here - With, if possible, fire engine nicknames (if they exist - and list both if two different trucks have two different names)

Edited by VicMan

Hey, guys! For some reason, the Houston Fire Department doesn't divulge fire station names on its website - Only station numbers.

The HFD has no official names to divulge because they are not named; they are numbered. What you see painted on some trucks is merely a generic neighborhood name. All 105 are fully documented on their website. http://www.houstontx.gov/fire/firestations/firestations.html

Edited by nmainguy

My dad is retired from HFD after 40+ yrs of service. He said that the stations are officially named by numbers. The river oaks, fifth ward, etc are the "general" area the particular station serves. Even the names have been known to change "magnolia park" vs "central park" but the station number designation remains the same. Not all trucks have the name designation on them either plus there is a fleet of reserves that don't either.

I can asure you that every single apparatus & vehicle that has a radio also has a unit #. You may not see it but trust me it does, including reserves.

Respectfully

Danny