Guessing Game #8

musicman

My first guess would be Rice University, but those rocking chairs throw me off.

After I think about it some more, it MUST be Rice University, because EVERYONE IS OFF THEIR ROCKERS!

No, not Rice. I will say, hopefully the building is on a historic register somewhere. believe it or not, this was built in 1925 and has been maintained like no other building i've seen.

Villa de Matel Nunnery.

BINGO! except the proper word is convent. I am VERY impressed. If you ever have a chance to visit the property please take the opportunity. There is even a cemetery onsite as well.

Here are some of the other photos

DSCF0029-1.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

i was not able to enter the chapel but here's a side view.

DSCF0030.jpg

Edited by musicman

BINGO! except the proper word is convent. I am VERY impressed. If you ever have a chance to visit the property please take the opportunity. There is even a cemetery onsite as well.

Here are some of the other photos

Well PRAISE DA LORD! I won one of these stupid things!

According to this, a nunnery is a convent of nuns...so I don't see how exactly nunnery is incorrect, even though that's not what it is commonly referred to.

It was just a good guess. At first I thought Rice as well, but the rocking chairs are in conflict with that. The windows (which are just frickin awful) and general construction made me think institution. Well maintained fit in with my perception of nunneries/monasteries....they have plenty of free time to work on things. From what I'd seen from Lawndale/Wayside, it was a possibility, but I had never been on the grounds, so I wasn't sure.

Edited by jm1fd

• 1 year later...
M01A0156.jpg
The place looks fantastic and in great shape. Those are interesting pews. I guess the holes were for better air circulation during pre-AC masses, to prevent the wet-with-sweat back syndrome.

The place looks fantastic and in great shape. Those are interesting pews. I guess the holes were for better air circulation during pre-AC masses, to prevent the wet-with-sweat back syndrome.

your pew comment is correct according to the sister. and yes the place is maintained so well you'd never know it is 80 yrs old. the wall colors are all done with small stones and just about everything in there has some type of religious significance. they also had quite a few sacred relics on one of the two smaller altars.

the pews facing the center definitely makes the service more difficult. if you don't have neck problems prior to the service, you may afterwards.

It (mass) was opened to the public up until about 1980. This time of year there are several great Christmas events happening there. You should see the quaint little cottages out back. What I really love is the Irish accent most of the sister's have. Super Neighborhood meetings are still held in the newer part by the swimming pool.

You should see the main lobby interiors and furnishings. Most are original pieces from turn of the century.

More pics/facs are in Holy Places section. :D

The latest addition of the Lourdes, France grotto scene is amazing.

Edited by Vertigo58