Woodforest Residential In The Woodlands

Boris

Up north in woods, more homes coming

Woodforest will add houses amid trees, trails

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The developer of Sienna Plantation, Silverlake and Fall Creek is planning a residential community just north of The Woodlands.

The more than 2,500-acre project, called Woodforest, will have some 4,700 homes as well as commercial properties when fully developed, Johnson Development Corp. said.

Like The Woodlands, it will have a wide range of housing in a heavily wooded surrounding with plenty of parks and nature trails.

Located in southern Montgomery County, the project will surround the Woodforest Golf Club, a championship course designed by Steve Elkington that opened in 2001 east of Honea Egypt Road between FM 2854 and FM 1488. The development also will be accessible from the future Fish Creek thoroughfare, which will connect the area to Conroe to the north.

Woodforest is 38 miles from the center of Houston, a fact that doesn't concern its developers.

Several creeks cross the property's rolling terrain. The land includes more than 500 acres within the 100-year flood plain that will be preserved in their natural state for recreational uses.

The community will have walking trails, which is the No. 1 amenity of choice according to customer surveys, Goff said. Such trails give residents the ability "to reconnect with nature."

A recreation center and "splash pad" for children will be another draw for buyers, said Virgil Yoakum, vice president and general manager of Woodforest. Yoakum recently joined Johnson Development after almost 30 years at The Woodlands Development Co.

To serve another segment of the population, several hundred acres will likely be set aside for the development of townhomes, apartments and active-adult housing for retirees or those nearing retirement age.

Homes in Woodforest, which will be served by the Montgomery and Conroe school districts, will range from the mid-$100,000s to more than $1 million.

Builders will be selected next year, Goff said.

The first section of lots will be ready for home construction by early 2008.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4274748.html

this is exactly why the woodlands "experiment" has been important. people respond to nature. i'm happy to see former woodlands development personel using a similar format. mixed incomes, single family homes/senior living facility/apartments/retail.............it sounds like a village in the woodlands. although i loathe the increased traffic this will bring to 1488/i-45/hardy toll road/town center, i'm happy to hear of the developer's intentions. i hope they pull it off.

Why isn't Woodlands Parkway an expressway. There is too much traffic on that thing.

Well, it started out ok I am sure...then they added and are continuing to had a gazillion lights. Then they popped it through as the ONLY through street and added the big box at then end of it. If they opened Research up, it may help a little.

We have no light or sign at our Woodlands Parkway intersection and its takes about 7-8 minutes to make a left turn during rush hour. And you fear for your life when you do it.

The Gosling intersection has got to be one of the worst lights in the Metroplex. You may as well pop a tent and camp out when you get to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just what's needed, more Houston developers pushing apartments in these areas with booming crime rates in big H lets bring it to the burbs, right?

"To serve another segment of the population, several hundred acres will likely be set aside for the development of townhomes, apartments and active-adult housing "

See our experience with this company in Sienna (Missouri City):

http://hoanewsnetwork.com/civic/node/47?PH...730df363a632295

http://www.fortbendnow.com/news/719/activi...ation-developer

There may be a more logical thread to the name than it seems. This new Woodforest development in Montgomery County is being built around what is now the Woodforest Golf Club. I believe the Golf Club gained that name after Woodforest National Bank took at least some ownership of it due to default by the previous owners. It wouldn't surprise me if Woodforest National Bank has some sort of financial interest in the development.

We've been banking with Woodforest National Bank for about ten years and if memory serves me correctly their first bank location (maybe 25 years ago) was on Woodforest in east Houston, which brings us full circle....

Woodforest National Bank is sort of the Starbucks of Montgomery County banking. There are three branch locations within about 300 yards of the intersection of FM1488 and FM2978. Seems a bit much.

There may be a more logical thread to the name than it seems. This new Woodforest development in Montgomery County is being built around what is now the Woodforest Golf Club. I believe the Golf Club gained that name after Woodforest National Bank took at least some ownership of it due to default by the previous owners. It wouldn't surprise me if Woodforest National Bank has some sort of financial interest in the development.

We've been banking with Woodforest National Bank for about ten years and if memory serves me correctly their first bank location (maybe 25 years ago) was on Woodforest in east Houston, which brings us full circle....

Woodforest National Bank is sort of the Starbucks of Montgomery County banking. There are three branch locations within about 300 yards of the intersection of FM1488 and FM2978. Seems a bit much.

What is with all the banks being built in West Woodlands? .....HA!! and new regional name, West Woodlands. Since its now a 25 minute drive to get to the back I think its deserving of that.

But seriously they are building them like crazy in Sterling Ridge, down 2978 and 1488. Before they are done there will not be one major bank unrepresented TWO times in a 5 mile radius.

when i think to do it, i use shadowbend between gosling and w. panther creek to avoid the gosling intersection.

The new ltraffic light at Gosling and Flintridge will add another variable to the equation. There will be spurts of traffic in rush hours to the intersection with Woodlands Parkway. Since the priority is given to the traffic on TW Pkwy, I can see some major issues evolving on Gosling at TW Pkwy. The idea on TW Pkwy is of course to move the traffic at the speed limit through the lights without stopping. That works a lot of the itme but in rush hour, the traffic on Gosling cannot move on. I am guessing that eventually, only "through" traffic on Gosling will prevail and neighborhood traffic will go elsewhere. I fear the Expressway concept because of the proximity of the parkway to homes. It was not part of the design and retrofitting would not only be be extremely expensive, it would ruin The Woodlands as a community. Sound barriers would be essential if it eventually does become an expressway. If more overpasses were contructed, we would have more tire noise from higher speed traffic at higher levels, so the noise would increase and affect a larger area. Since the parkway is considered a regional traffic artery, it has come to bear a higher load than designed. The new regional freeway is intended to provide a better means of moving traffic in the northern part of Harris county, providing an east-west artery for a large volume of traffic. Although some progress is noted in some sections, that remains a project out there somewhere, so there is pressure to add lanes and provide more throughput on TW Pkwy in peak hours.

I did a recount and came up with seven existing branch banks near the intersection of 1488 and 2978 (I might have missed one, not sure).

RedScare, Bum**** Egypt is appropriate, since the area at 1488 and 2978 used to be the Egypt Community (its on the old maps). Unfortunately there are a heck of a a lot of people who have found the area in the last ten years (since we moved out there).

• 2 years later...

RESIDENTIAL: The Johnson Development Corp. announced that five production builders have signed on for the first phase of development in Woodforest: Trendmaker Homes, Southern Mark Homes, Plantation Homes, Pulte Homes and John Laing Homes. They join custom builders Jeff Paul Custom Homes, Tommy Bailey Homes, George Weaver, Meadowlark Custom Homes, Wedgewood Homes, T.D. Cox Homes and J.M. Wendell. Woodforest expects to deliver 240 home sites to production and custom builders this year. The 3,000-acre community is four miles north of The Woodlands.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/6126559.html

lol, kinda like the 3 shell stations at the corner of sawdust and 45. i swear if jack in the box wasn't taking the 4th corner there would've been another shell station and the would've "cornered the maket'

• 2 weeks later...

Bachanon- I am with you on your sentiments. I hope all development projects keep the trees and the concept of forest. They all won't have the creek issues we have here, so in my opinion, those communities can have better and more preservation than the developer here. Ultimately, The Woodlands could be one of the lesser green quality developments as a result. I would hope so.

• The title was changed to Woodforest Residential In The Woodlands

Archived