Get Rid of Ivy

Ivy is growing wild on the exterior wall. I want to get rid of all of it, but my husband wants to keep some of them. We don't have time to take care and trim them in good shape. Any suggestion? Is it a good idea to get rid of it? Any tips?

Thx in advance. Nice forum and enjoy it. I will post a few pictures showing the floor we put in.

Ivy is growing wild on the exterior wall. I want to get rid of all of it, but my husband wants to keep some of them. We don't have time to take care and trim them in good shape. Any suggestion? Is it a good idea to get rid of it? Any tips?

Thx in advance. Nice forum and enjoy it. I will post a few pictures showing the floor we put in.

Nice profile name

footer_tagline.gif

The only reason I'd want to not have vines on my exterior wall of the home would be because I would worry about them covering up potential mud tunnels that termites build when they invade your home.

You are supposed to have a clear view of your foundation around the house so you can easily spot this.

I'd love to know how to kill this too. We ripped it off the brick it was growing on and have tried a variety of vegitation killers. The crap keeps coming back. It's like the cockroach of the plant world.

it is a very good idea to get rid of it. the vine while keeping the wall cooler, also keeps moisture in the wall which isn't a good thing particularly in Houston.

I would get at the roots and just pull it up.

I would try the diesel fuel method..but i'm sure i'll get yelled at here.

Edited by musicman

I've heard different opinions with regards to ivy retaining moisture and the damage it may cause.

I've heard that ivy on bricks will not cause water damage as long as you keep it trimmed away from the window casings (which might be made of wood). I've also heard that ivy will not cause brick to be repointed sooner.

Now, if your house is made of wood, stucco, or, heaven forbid, fake stucco, GET IT OFF ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Put some broadleaf weedkiller in a ziplock bag and put as much of the vine you can in the bag. This should kill the vine and mother plant. Don't get it on any other plants.

Edited by Marty