brick: to paint or not to paint? artistic viewpoints sought

I bought a 1952 ranch-style home in Southgate about two years ago. It was an estate sale, and had one owner over its whole life! Needless to say, it was dated. We DIY'd the interior, and given the low cost, I'd say the results are satisfactory. I won't post a bunch of before-and-after photos, but you can peep them here.

Thus far, we've done nothing to the exterior. I've argued to my wife that we should paint the (IMO) nasty brick. She says, "no". Neither of us is particularly artistically inclined, so I'd like to submit the question to the board. Paint or no paint? Color? Here is the existing photo:

front-zoom-crop.jpg

The problem with painting brick is that you are forever stuck with the decision to paint it. I am rarely a fan of painting brick. Since this is a personal choice on your part, there is not much else for me to say than that...except that I kinda like the brick on your home as is. :)

I bought a 1952 ranch-style home in Southgate about two years ago. It was an estate sale, and had one owner over its whole life! Needless to say, it was dated. We DIY'd the interior, and given the low cost, I'd say the results are satisfactory. I won't post a bunch of before-and-after photos, but you can peep them here.

Thus far, we've done nothing to the exterior. I've argued to my wife that we should paint the (IMO) nasty brick. She says, "no". Neither of us is particularly artistically inclined, so I'd like to submit the question to the board. Paint or no paint? Color? Here is the existing photo:

Keep the brick, but powerwash it.

Another strong vote of no on painting the brick. To me, painting brick is very "third world". That type of flagstone brick seems to have been popular in the 30s-early 50s, from what I've seen, so painting it could be considered historic desecration also to purists.

wow, a board full of brick lovers. :D

I think powerwashing would be an easy test. Should I expect a transformation, or just slight improvement?

Painting trim also easy. Any thoughts on the color?

Last question: roof is almost at the end of its useful life. If you were going to replace it, what would you do for material and color?

Thanks much for the consideration...

I wouldn't paint it, your brick is really very good looking as-is. So is your yard, BTW.

At our last house, we couldn't agree if we should paint the brick or not. Of course, ours was not as pretty as yours, but I always liked the look of brick, ugly or not. However, when we went to sell the house, we got some negative comments on the brick and wood exterior, that it looked "choppy" and not uniform. It had brick on the bottom half and wood on the upper.

We made the decision to paint the entire thing a pale yellow color with complementary trimwork, including the detached garage. Once we did it, it sold in less than two weeks. We had people coming over and complimenting us on the paint job. It was amazing! It made the house look and garage look like one connected and uniform building, and it made it look a lot larger than it was.

It probably was a good thing for the brick as well as it wasn't great brick to begin with, so it might have acted as a sealant on the brick and protected it from further erosion.

I've argued to my wife that we should paint the (IMO) nasty brick. She says, "no". Neither of us is particularly artistically inclined, so I'd like to submit the question to the board. Paint or no paint? Color?

Personally I wouldn't paint brick-especially brick as nice as you have. Before you decide, clean an area and see how you like it and maybe test different colors for whatever trim you may have. Also imagine how painted brick will look in your neighborhood and how it may or may not affect re-sale value because once you paint brick, it's hell to remove-and you'll probably never get it all off without having to spend a boatload of $$$.

Nice house and good luck!

An Architect I spoke with, (who also posts on this board & may chime in), once told me painting brick was a very bad idea. I remember just enough to be dangerous, something about how it can trap moisture inside if you paint it. I wish I could remember more. Maybe he will clarify.

Besides that issue, I vote no. First I don't think it would benefit you visually. It is a nice natural feeling finish as-is. It adds to the upkeep of the house as well to paint it. Dirt and dust settle and show on the top edges of the brick when it is painted. It tends to always look dirty. You will be forever out there with a hose trying to keep it clean.

wow, a board full of brick lovers. :D

I think powerwashing would be an easy test. Should I expect a transformation, or just slight improvement?

Painting trim also easy. Any thoughts on the color?

Last question: roof is almost at the end of its useful life. If you were going to replace it, what would you do for material and color?

Thanks much for the consideration...

powerwashing can make a big difference depending on the condition of your brick. a lot of brick is moldy etc esp if the sun doesn't hit it often. The power washing will remove the mold. I personally would concentrate on the brick only when using the powerwasher as sometimes the mortar is fragile.

As for color, I have a feeling you and your wife are both hesitant to use color based on the pics you posted. personally i would recommend you and your wife paint a room inside so that you can get used to some color. For your living room for instance, I think a nice khaki color would really give the room pizazz. Color just really makes a house feel like a home.

Here's a khaki that I used that many people have used once they saw it. Many colors in your living room look great with it.

DSCF0001.jpg

Here's another Pecan Park resident's house. When she started her remodel she only had white in her house. now she is using more color. This is her bedroom as they were finishing her floors.

IMG_1095-5.jpg

Here's a khaki that I used that many people have used once they saw it. Many colors in your living room look great with it.

DSCF0001.jpg

That's precisely the color that I used in my condo several years back. At the time, I was covering up walls that were pepto bismol pink with a few raspberry-colored accent walls. The carpet was mauve, on top of that.

I've found this color to be very versatile. It allowed me to be able to tolerate the carpet until just recently. It was being sold at Home Depot under the name "Brushed Fur".

Personally, I think a painted brick house can look absolutely wonderful.

That said, I don't like painted brick on ranch style houses. It just doesn't seem to fit the style well.

Now, 1920s and 1930s traditional houses can look great with a nice paint job.

Archived