Do you have kids?

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

Ditto what Mark just said. Although you haven't said anything negative toward my kids, you crossed the line on 2 others here, and one of them I consider a personal friend, who ,btw, offered to give you a royal @$$-whuppin', and you failed to take him up on it. You may have apologized and think that everything will go back to "hunky dorey". It don't work quite that way Chief. Unfortunately, you have lost my respect, although I am sure you don't give a flip, neither do I. I'm sure I'll come back around and offer a handshake, just right now, you are on the shiklist with me.

There are two boundaries in jokedom, other men's wives and other people's kids. Only the man who has to live with his Bridezilla is allowed to actually make a joke about her, and the Parents who actuall have to pay for the little boogerminers can make fun of their own offspring. It is Taboo for others to make such claims. I have seen women become as aggressive as a Lioness to protect their kids. It is very scary. Just glad I wasn;t the object of their outrage.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ditto what Mark just said. Although you haven't said anything negative toward my kids, you crossed the line on 2 others here, and one of them I consider a personal friend, who ,btw, offered to give you a royal @$$-whuppin', and you failed to take him up on it. You may have apologized and think that everything will go back to "hunky dorey". It don't work quite that way Chief. Unfortunately, you have lost my respect, although I am sure you don't give a flip, neither do I. I'm sure I'll come back around and offer a handshake, just right now, you are on the shiklist with me.

There are two boundaries in jokedom, other men's wives and other people's kids. Only the man who has to live with his Bridezilla is allowed to actually make a joke about her, and the Parents who actuall have to pay for the little boogerminers can make fun of their own offspring. It is Taboo for others to make such claims. I have seen women become as aggressive as a Lioness to protect their kids. It is very scary. Just glad I wasn;t the object of their outrage.

Well, all I can do is ask for a break. I doubt I ever had your respect anyway, considering I've never really been directly involved in a conversation with you and there have been plenty of insults flying from you. But, I have to think if there's any way a person could earn the respect of someone like the person you portray in your thoughtful posts to others, it would be to come to you, as I am, in all sincerity and ask for it.

You're right. I would never want anyone to talk about my wife. We don't have any kids. Just to set everything straight, though -- I never singled out anyone's kids directly, nor did I say anything about anyone's wife. I did say that I don't like kids in general -- which I understand is an inflammatory comment.

I'll ask you for, in time, more than just a handshake. I'd like to become involved in this forum again. I've actually been here longer than anybody I recognize today. The place used to be a great forum for thoughtful discussion, until it went way down. I suppose I got bored with it and was dragged down with it. Yours and a few others' are posts that often add some of the old discussion back in, however. So, I'd prefer to ease back into that type of discussion.

View this as someone who just would like to make things right. Surely a person of your intelligence knows how to handle that.

I am pretty sure this statement along with your standard par for the course actions, are what lay the not welcome mat at your feet. It's a thread on people's kids, and anti-kid statements like the one above, frankly parents take it personally. You don't mess with the pups or you get bit. Law of nature. A person who has no use for children cannot begin to know the reasoning behind the over protectiveness that a "parent" automatically has.

AMEN!

Well, all I can do is ask for a break. I doubt I ever had your respect anyway, considering I've never really been directly involved in a conversation with you and there have been plenty of insults flying from you. But, I have to think if there's any way a person could earn the respect of someone like the person you portray in your thoughtful posts to others, it would be to come to you, as I am, in all sincerity and ask for it.

You're right. I would never want anyone to talk about my wife. We don't have any kids. Just to set everything straight, though -- I never singled out anyone's kids directly, nor did I say anything about anyone's wife. I did say that I don't like kids in general -- which I understand is an inflammatory comment.

I've been trying to largely steer clear of this one, but I've got to admit that I sympathize with you, Dal. I know how it demoralizing it can be when people dogpile on you for reasons that are seemingly incomprehensible. ...I've also typed out nutty insomniac posts on more than one occaision. And your apology seemed really very grounded and believable, not that I'd be the one for whom you were hoping to gain acceptance.

And folks, the 'cult of the child' (a phrase coined by George Carlin) can be a dangerous and scary thing...especially when it comes to political policy. There are serious potentials for overreaction and overallocation of funds to education and other child-related programs, when in fact, it doesn't "take a village", as Hillary says, just a good parent. ...not to mention various attempts by special interests at passing laws designed to push subjective standards of morality upon everybody's kids, when the facts are that the laws will probably be unenforcable and that if you've raised a good kid, they'll make good decisions without government assistance. Not to mention that they then provide something for the not-so-good kids to rebel against.

On a more personal level, I really don't so much care for the idea of having the kid so much as for some poorly-thought out but completely romantic notion of bonding with the wife by means of a shared creation...and then it would seem that the family fun would only really kick in once the kid is able to effectively communicate and reason. The baby stage seems like a whole lot of effort, just to maintain a miniature likeness of Winston Churchill that excretes any and all forms of bodily fluid at random and frequent intervals. And the toddler stage seems like it could be just plain hell on earth if the kid likes noisy toys. But beyond those few years...I suppose...

By the way, most everybody here has really cute kids, esp. Mark, if you don't mind my saying so. Now, I honestly could've gone without seeing Moonman's half-naked son...but that's just personal preference and the fact that I'm on a computer at work.

Great pics! I do love kids. (Well, ones that have good parents and know how to behave -- a screaming 5 year old at 11:00 PM in a movie theater watching a R-rated movie with Mom and Dad is very hard to love, but that's not the kid's fault. Same thing with a kid who constantly kicks the back of my seat on the plane while Mom sits there and laughs at it.)

That kicking of the back of the seat thing on an airplane would never happen with one of my kids when they were small. They are 18 and 19 now. When they were small, we flew a lot thanks to my dad, the then Delta pilot. We got lots of compliments on how well behaved our boys were, to which my wife replied "thank you, we beat them regularly, so they know how to behave" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love telling that one, it embarrasses the hell out of her now!!!!! :lol::lol:

She understands fully how bad that sounds now, but then she didnt really grasp it. If you couldnt tell from her picture, shes African born and english is her 3rd language ;););)

I've been trying to largely steer clear of this one, but I've got to admit that I sympathize with you, Dal. I know how it demoralizing it can be when people dogpile on you for reasons that are seemingly incomprehensible. ...I've also typed out nutty insomniac posts on more than one occaision. And your apology seemed really very grounded and believable, not that I'd be the one for whom you were hoping to gain acceptance.

And folks, the 'cult of the child' (a phrase coined by George Carlin) can be a dangerous and scary thing...especially when it comes to political policy. There are serious potentials for overreaction and overallocation of funds to education and other child-related programs, when in fact, it doesn't "take a village", as Hillary says, just a good parent. ...not to mention various attempts by special interests at passing laws designed to push subjective standards of morality upon everybody's kids, when the facts are that the laws will probably be unenforcable and that if you've raised a good kid, they'll make good decisions without government assistance. Not to mention that they then provide something for the not-so-good kids to rebel against.

On a more personal level, I really don't so much care for the idea of having the kid so much as for some poorly-thought out but completely romantic notion of bonding with the wife by means of a shared creation...and then it would seem that the family fun would only really kick in once the kid is able to effectively communicate and reason. The baby stage seems like a whole lot of effort, just to maintain a miniature likeness of Winston Churchill that excretes any and all forms of bodily fluid at random and frequent intervals. And the toddler stage seems like it could be just plain hell on earth if the kid likes noisy toys. But beyond those few years...I suppose...

By the way, most everybody here has really cute kids, esp. Mark, if you don't mind my saying so. Now, I honestly could've gone without seeing Moonman's half-naked son...but that's just personal preference and the fact that I'm on a computer at work.

All things considered, I should probably remain pretty quiet here. I do agree with you that the whole kid thing has gone way overboard and honestly escapes me. True, it's not the kids' fault -- but I'm not sure what that means, exactly.

The fact that my wife and I are happily married, gainfully employed and have an enjoyable lifestyle is cause for looks of disgust from people when they find out we don't have and don't want kids. A guy at work asked me, shaking his head, "what are you going to do on Christmas morning (in the sweetest Baptist minister voice he could conjure)? I told him, "we're going to Paris."

Lot's of cute kids here, though...to each his own.

i understand that parents can be overwhelmingly "kidcentric", but wouldn't you expect that when many of us were latchkey kids whose parents where never around or where emotionally unavailable? when i come in contact with parents in the "kid cult", i politely let them have their say and do not step on their toes, because i know where (or think i do) they are coming from.

i have never planned on having kids. however, i had the fortunate misfortune of a 13 year old kid whose parents relinquished their responsibilities years before he came to my house. i had no concept of the responsibilities that would be required of me. i did not know what kids need, especially ones who have had no stability. i'm more proud of this kid than i've ever been of anything in my life. you mess with him and i'll hunt you down. no kidding. call it the "cult of kids" if you will. i've never dreamed that i would stand up to my older sister in order to care for her kid(s).

i think that when you invest yourself in someone else, you become very protective, proud, overbearing and, at times (maybe) a little superior. especially, if no one took the time to be there for you.

but that's just my opinion. maybe it's all about perception. i dunno. B)

btw, dalparadise, two of my best friends have had a vasectomy (sp?) in order to enjoy life as single or married sans kiddos. these people i hold dear. we will all grow old together (when we aren't being surrogate parents to other people's kids). to each his own.

i think that when you invest yourself in someone else, you become very protective, proud, overbearing and, at times (maybe) a little superior. especially, if no one took the time to be there for you.

but that's just my opinion. maybe it's all about perception. i dunno. B)

I can respect that. The 'cult of the child' thing really only annoys me when it comes to public policy debates. After all, you probably wouldn't want me to tell you how to raise your kids, and I certainly wouldn't want you to tell me how to raise mine.

TRAE!! OMG! I could just eat you up :) SO CUTE! You look like a mini-Mr. T :lol: "I pity the baby!" :lol:

Dal, I have to say that was a very nice apology. :) My sister and her husband are child-free. Some days I feel bad for her because I can't believe what she is choosing to miss out on. Other days I'm a bit envious ;) You are right though, to each his own.

Bach, I TOTALLY get what you are saying. At 34, when I got pregnant, I was like um.......whatdoidonow? :blink: There are days that I STILL feel like that... :blush:

I never thought being a parent would be so darned awesome. Not at 20, not at 30. But here I am at (almost) 36 and it's the best thing I have ever done in my life! I can't wait to do it again. :D Hopefully soon! We're getting a lot of batting practice in currently :lol:

I can't wait to do it again. :D Hopefully soon! We're getting a lot of batting practice in currently :lol:

TMI.........TMI ! ! ! ! MY EYES.................OOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW...........MY EYES ! ! ! They are burning ! I didn't need to read that.

Hmmmmm............not a bad idea though for a Saturday night, I'll go ask the wife if she wants to break out the ol' "catcher's mit" ! ;):lol:

This is for all of you posters here with daughters. You make me sick!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The wife was wondering why i was scanning pics of the boys to put online so she took a peek. All of you with the beautiful pics of your daughters have opened up the whole " i wish we had a daughter, theres too much testosterone in this house" discussion. :D:D

This is for all of you posters here with daughters. You make me sick!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The wife was wondering why i was scanning pics of the boys to put online so she took a peek. All of you with the beautiful pics of your daughters have opened up the whole " i wish we had a daughter, theres too much testosterone in this house" discussion. :D:D

Well I'm sure my wife would question me putting up half-naked pictures of our son on some website.

Well I'm sure my wife would question me putting up half-naked pictures of our son on some website.

The half naked pic wasnt what she was interested in solely. Its all 4 pics i posted. The pic of my oldest son being posted here, he knows about it and loves it--CRAZY BOY!!! He thinks there are young ladies here that would like to maybe meet him. Again, kids, what can you do!?!?!?!?!

One 2 year old son(very low maintenance, keeps me on the straight and narrow...simply an awsome kid much better than I ever was at his age)

P1010112.jpg

and another baby(don't know sex yet) on the way

THANK YOU KIND SIR!!!!!!!!! All the pics of the daughters are not good for me with the wife! Most happy to see your sons' pic! Excellent Daddy O ;)

FYI enjoy the cute little one while you can, he will be a teenager before you blink :):):):):):)

Also, if the baby on the way is a girl, i dont want to hear about it!!! J/K :P:P:P

So does NOT having them. Nice kids, though.

Thanks. I can understand your reluctance to have kids. I waited until I was 36 before having any. Originally, I thought the best thing I could do for this planet was to NOT have any kids (and the wife and I did enjoy the free time and extra $$). However, over time my thinking changed, and now I belive the best thing I can do for this planet is to pass on my knowledge, values and wisdom for my children to carry on. Honestly - and I don't expect you to understand or agree - but having kids was the best thing that has ever happened to me. I have had more 'smiles' and happy thoughts because of those kids than anything else.

SunKing, your kids are beautiful. Is that a Kittrike (sp?) I see? I love your daughter's hairdo!! Cute!!

Thanks! ...but I have no idea what a Kittrike is. I think the wife picked that up somewhere. As for the hairdo - I blame the wife for that too. I think the 'Cool Cuts' place had a special going on.

Handsome kids you have there. ;)

Thanks again - I was inspired to post by all the other great looking kids.

Archived