Wrecker driver dies...

My condolences to the family.

Has anyone noticed how these drivers have NO regard for the law? They speed, cut people off, hold up traffic(people stop/slow down to see a wrecker pulled over with the yellow light's flashing.) don't use turn signals and act like they're imune to the law?(i've almost been run into 2 times by them.) I understand they need to make money...I drove by an accident and noticed that 3 drivers were laughing and yelling while at an accident doing there "coin flip." Why can't the city go towards a Pasadena tow truck type. PPD does not accept wreckers unless they are on the PPD log. If you run a truck you just can't show up and tow. Don't get me wrong i understand it's a business...But they could do it more presentable? Show up an at accident scene laughing(when there are people injure or dead...)

Top stories

Oct. 8, 2006, 3:31PM

Wrecker driver killed in south Houston accident

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

A wrecker driver was killed early this morning when he lost control of his vehicle in south Houston, police said.

The driver, Reginald Ward, 37, was in the 10200 block of southbound Scott about 12:10 a.m. when the wrecker suddenly veered off the roadway and struck several trees in the median, Houston police said.

A Houston Fire Department ambulance crew saw the accident and provided medical assistance to the driver, police said.

Ward was taken to Ben Taub General Hospital where he died from his injuries, police said.

There were no other vehicles involved in the fatal accident, which remains under investigation, police said.

You can't just "show up" with a truck and tow. All trucks are registered with the city, the county (if they want to tow on toll roads) and smaller municipalities if they want to operate in places like Bellaire. In addition, the drivers have to be drug tested and registered by the city and insured by the operator.

That being said, the system is horribly flawed. There is no professionalism, most drivers are criminals who can't get work elsewhere. They are, for the most part, liars and thieves. They have no regard for anyone other than themselves, including their colleagues.

The proximity dispatch system should be put in place. The wrecker closest to the need should be dispatched. That simple. "Matching" is often cheated on, and that is only after countless lives are put in danger.

Many of us Olpharts were around when emergency ambulance service was a private enterprise, and was done just as the wreckers do now. You would have a wreck, and numerous vehicles would show up to tote the victims off to the hospital – or “other destinations”. The solution was the current EMS service.

Edited by Heights2Bastrop

the wrecker that towed my totaled truck was very professional...

having said that, i cannot stand the driving of wreckers. i've been cut off - at freeway speed - by a wrecker towing a vehicle... not the run of the mill wrecker cutoff - "watch it, i have to get the accident in time for the coin toss" - but by a guy who already had his money.

i've seen wreckers run lights, cut people off, jump curbs into oncoming traffic, whatever...

i've secretly wanted many of them to wreck (but not die.)

i'm willing to bet that if a wrecker were to cause you to wreck or to hit you, they'd either:

a. drive off.

b. ask you if you needed a tow.

wrecker drivers in houston are worse than cab drivers in boston.

You can't just "show up" with a truck and tow. All trucks are registered with the city, the county (if they want to tow on toll roads) and smaller municipalities if they want to operate in places like Bellaire. In addition, the drivers have to be drug tested and registered by the city and insured by the operator.
I was assuming the driver was in his "zone." In pasadena they say "next wrecker up." It keeps the road clear when there are no vultures hanging out a few hundred yards waiting for "Need a wrecker at..."

I hate tow truck drivers. They seem like a cocky bunch of folk.

I always seem them driving crazy like bats out of hell and they always ride your ass to get ahead of people.

Just the other day I saw 2 weaving in and out of traffic and riding people's asses to get to some parking lot where there were more of them parked. And they didn't even park in the spaces they made a big half circle in the parking lot taking up most of the parking spots and I didn't even see an accident anywhere nearby.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone noticed how these drivers have NO regard for the law? They speed, cut people off, hold up traffic... don't use turn signals and act like they're imune to the law?

I don't see how someone could not notice this. How about when they cut through a parking lot to avoid a light -- AT 50 MPH...!!! :angry2:

One of these days they are going to T-Bone someone or hit some pedestrians while doing this crap in a parking lot.

I don't see how someone could not notice this. How about when they cut through a parking lot to avoid a light -- AT 50 MPH...!!! :angry2:

One of these days they are going to T-Bone someone or hit some pedestrians while doing this crap in a parking lot.

Read post number 9. He was going 90 MPH! supposedly this is what prompted the mayor to change the requirements.