Ugly Freeways?

As I travled back from Del Rio this day, I noticed San Antonio had "ugly" freeways too... and come to think of it, many other American Cities have "Ugly Freeways" as well. Its only a hand full of cities which have "pretty" freeways... Like Dallas, and Los Angeles...

Just a discussion of other cities who have the ugly problem like Houston...

Some of the newer freeways are nice around here, though, such as 59 (Museum distric, and Sugarland) The west loop, 288, etc.

Driving through Pheonix at night is bliss. The highway is very smooth and rolls up and down and side to side like a rollercoaster. Partially underground and some raised. Almost put me to sleep. When exiting the other side back into the desert I wanted to turn around and go though again.

i really do not think the freeways in houston are ugly. every city i have been to the freeways are pretty much the same. LA has the same freeways so does san francisco miami st. louis Dallas every city is the same. we dont have any natural land forms or any thing in that nature. plus we are the only city that uses frontage roads on basically every freeway. that is why we have so many buisnesses along our freeways. and i like that i think it is cool and it gives you stuff to look at when you drive

• 2 years later...
so why arent any of the new freeways in houston built with asphalt

asphalt isn't really as robust as concrete. when it is burdened with heavy loads, it tends to decay more rapidly than concrete. The gulf freeway has some portions with asphalt topped concrete and TxDOT is out there quite frequently trying to patch.

asphalt isn't really as robust as concrete. when it is burdened with heavy loads, it tends to decay more rapidly than concrete. The gulf freeway has some portions with asphalt topped concrete and TxDOT is out there quite frequently trying to patch.

There are contrete sections on 610 near gulfgate that always crack...Anyone else notice HOW DARK it is to drive on the freeway? 225 half of it between 610 and richey, 610-225 and 45 DARK TXdot installed massive lights but they are OFF. 610 MLK-CUllen DARK as hell!

There are contrete sections on 610 near gulfgate that always crack...Anyone else notice HOW DARK it is to drive on the freeway? 225 half of it between 610 and richey, 610-225 and 45 DARK TXdot installed massive lights but they are OFF. 610 MLK-CUllen DARK as hell!

Some sections are transitioning between the old mast lights to the massive lights. I guess they turned off the old lights, but forgot to turn the new ones on.

This is more of a pet peeve than about whether a freeway is ugly or not. In Atlanta, it seems as if they don't light up their interchanges like we do. Back in 2001, the I-20E/I-285 interchange was pit black dark at night.

Isn't the concrete there three decades old? It's definitely one of the longest-unrepaired freeway sections in town.