New York Times travels to B-CS

Subdude

THE college in College Station is the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, a k a Texas A&M, home of the Aggies. Beyond the sprawling, oak-lined lawns of the university, alumni Aggies have established vineyards, restaurants, hotels and enough bars and honky-tonks to claim plausibly that College Station and the neighboring town of Bryan have more drinking establishments per capita than anywhere else in the United States. College Station also has the George Bush Presidential Library, extraordinary Texas Deco architecture and the sort of relaxed cowboy atmosphere where, even if you

Wow! You find that paragraph to be insulting? There really is no hope for some people.

The content isn't as insulting as the way the author wrote the article...its possibly the worst writing I've ever read.

THE college in College Station is the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, a k a Texas A&M, home of the Aggies
Yikes.
And nothing is more Texas cow townie than Catalena Hatters (203 North Main Street, Bryan; 979-822-3353; www.catalenahats.com), where real cowpokes get their headgear and the place to start going native for the weekend. The rows of hats include pink felt numbers that would have made Annie Oakley proud and classic 10-gallon models that will have you staggering out on Bryan

Don't get me wrong...I think its awesome that they decided to write an article about College Station...its just ...so...i don't know...hokey....lol.

-Justin

Justin, when the school, it's students, alumni and hometown spare no expense trying to prove to the world that it is the most countrified, conservative, caucasian college on the face of the planet, when someone finally notices, and writes about it, no matter how complimentary or otherwise, we cannot then complain that it makes us sound hokey.

I went to school there, and dammit, often times we ARE hokey! The fact that our hokieness is entertaining to outsiders doesn't change the fact. If not for that hokieness, College Station would be just another podunk college town, overrun with chain restaurants and strip malls, unworthy of a writeup in the Times. BTW, that hokieness is the very reason my non-A&M friends always want me to take them to a football game. It certainly is not because they want to see our nationally ranked engineering department.

I'm aware of the North Korean spectacles, and yes the Times does have writers who live in Texas, and call it home, but they don't write for local consumption or approval. They write for editors in New York City.

Maybe that's the problem -- you're used to being spoon fed stuff that's designed for local approval.

And chances are that the writers you're complaining about aren't writing for editors in New York City -- they're writing for a regional edition. Either way, if you like what some New York paper wrote about your town, then why not stop reading the New York newspaper? It's apparently not meant for your town.

Maybe that's the problem -- you're used to being spoon fed stuff that's designed for local approval.

And chances are that the writers you're complaining about aren't writing for editors in New York City -- they're writing for a regional edition. Either way, if you like what some New York paper wrote about your town, then why not stop reading the New York newspaper? It's apparently not meant for your town.

No one would be complaining if the writer actually did some homework. To me, it's as though the writer picked up an A&M Info Guide from 1930 and started copying it verbatim. For one, "A&M" doesn't stand for anything anymore. It USED to stand for Agricultural and Mechanical, but now the letters are just symbolic. Also, the rivalry with TCU? The hand sign info is correct (and it was the first handsign in the conference, btw) but TCU is not, and never has been, A&M's arch rival. The info about the bars came straight from an information guide as well...

I am not sure why people feel slighted. The article called the ATM campus gorgeous for Pete's sake!

ATM is NOT a pretty campus. During the "browner" months, it's downright depressing.

I just moved to College Station in January, and I'm actually quite surprised with how nice the campus is. Many of the buildings are ugly as sin, but there are a lot of trees creating a lot of shade and the landscaping is quite tasteful. There's a good bit of green space, too. It's not a beautiful campus like many older schools, or those with fortunate settings, have. But it's not bad, either.

I am not sure why people feel slighted. The article called the ATM campus gorgeous for Pete's sake!

ATM is NOT a pretty campus. During the "browner" months, it's downright depressing.

Main campus is actually very beautiful. Old oak trees, open lawns, historic architecture, pedestrian friendly, shoot, everything this forum holds near and dear to our hearts.

Not to mention the Freebirds across the street!

Archived