Bob And Vivian Smith Fountain At 200 Polk St.

SunKing

I have a question - but before asking I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a 3rd generation native Houstonian, born in 1964, who grew up in the 'burbs (1960 area). My first job out of college was with First Interstate Bank (formally Allied Banks). I had the honor of working in the Esperson building for several years, until I was moved into the First Interstate Plaza (now the Wells Fargo Plaza). After First Interstate merged with Wells Fargo, I went to work for Continenatal Airlines in the American General building on Allen Parkway. Continental has since moved it's headquarters downtown, and I now reside in the Continental Center (1600 Smith). I found these forums as a result of the www.sixflagshouston.com site. I guess, now that I'm over 40 years old (Yikes!!) I've found myself more interested in Houston history. I've also visited MaxContrete's site www.houstonfreeways.com (excellent info!!)...and have been trolling these forums long enough to feel like I know some of y'all. Seeing as this is my 1st post - I figured an introduction was in order.

OK - with that out of the way - my question is - does anyone has any information on the Bob and Vivian Smith Fountain on Smith Street across from the Hyatt? I walk by this fountain often over lunch, and I've been curious how old it is - and who were Bob and Vivian Smith?

So who was Smith Street named after then, since it was apparently not Bob 'n' Viv.

If I had to hazard a guess, it would be Erastus Smith.... better known as "Deaf" Smith. I think he was of the same generation as Ben Milam and William Travis, who have streets in the same area named after them.

On the other hand, maybe it's named after Obedience Smith, a woman who received a large grant of land in what would eventually become the beginnings of southwest Houston, when she came to Texas in the mid-1800's.

That would make sense, since Smith Street appears on maps going back to 1839.

Smith Street was named for Erastus "Deaf" Smith, who was Sam Houston's best and most trusted scout and courier during the Texas Revolution. It was he who delivered Col. William Travis's famous letter from the Alamo to the revolutionary leaders at Washington on the Brazos, and he was the one Sam Houston sent to the Alamo to find out what happened and bring survivors to safety.

As it almost always does, the Texas Handbook has the best information on Deaf Smith. http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...s/SS/fsm10.html

Before the Battle at San Jacinto, Smith cut off the Mexican army's escape route by chopping down Vince's Bridge over a bayou in present day Pasadena. It's not mentioned in the Handbook, and it may or may not be true, but I've read other sources that say after the battle, he's the one who caught up with and captured Mexican General Santa Anna, on the banks of Buffalo Bayou at a site that's now directly over the south end of the Washburn Tunnel, also in Pasadena. There's a historical marker there. Look it up sometime. It's harder than hell to get to, but worth the trip. So you can say you've been there, if for no other reason.

When Texas became a republic, and Houston the capital, the founding Allen brothers named a number of streets for the revolution's heroes and great moments. There's Travis, Milam, Smith, Lamar, Bell, Fannin, San Jacinto, Houston Avenue, Crockett, and many others. Deaf Smith was one of the best known of all the heroes of the revolution, and we can rest assured there is no possibility that Smith Street could be named for anyone but him.

A little trivia - the "Deaf" is prounounced "deef".

That pronunciation was apparently quite common. My mother, a product of 19thC Texas whose formal education did not go past the 8th grade, always referred to hearing-impaired folks who could not speak as "deef and dumb". There was no such thing as being "politically correct" in those days.

That pronunciation was apparently quite common. My mother, a product of 19thC Texas whose formal education did not go past the 8th grade, always referred to hearing-impaired folks who could not speak as "deef and dumb". There was no such thing as being "politically correct" in those days.

I've never been able to understand the ignorance of politically correct nabobs who think the phrase "deaf and dumb" meant "deaf and stupid".

For earlier generations, the word "dumb" meant "unable to speak". As in "I was so surprised I was "dumbstruck". Or "I was dumbfounded". A "dumb waiter" was a small elevator used to move food or other things between floors of a multi-story house, and it was called that because it couldn't speak, as a living and breathing waiter could.

Admittedly, word meanings change over time, and, sadly, "dumb" is now a synonym for "stupid", but people of earlier times never used it that way.

I've never seen this fountain.

Here's a picture of the Fountain.

SmithFountain-001.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I had always just assumed that Smith street was named after 'Bob & Viv' - not knowing who they were. Thanks for clearing that up. Honestly, I'm sure I could have found most of that info myself - but... I've been looking for an excuse to post... ;)

• 7 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Bob And Vivian Smith Fountain At 200 Polk St.

Archived