Houston International Speedway At 1701 FM 646

Mark F. Barnes

Some of my favorite times with my Dad were at the racetrack. Back then, if you got there early enough, you could back your truck up to the fence. We had a porch swing that we put on top of the cab of my truck and we'd sit there all day during Saturday qualifying. The return road was right there too, so you could clap and wave at the racers when they'd return from a run.

I remember that the racers were more accessible. As long as you stayed out of the way, they'd let you walk right up to their cars. The atmosphere was more fun and less businesslike than it is now.

I wouldn't trade any of those memories. The muddy parking lot, the smell of the fried burgers at the concession stand under the bleachers, the ladies with halter tops and sunburned shoulders, the sound of the "big boys" firing up their engines, the smell of rubber from a burnout. Happy Fathers Day, Dad.

• 4 weeks later...

All of the newspaper articles, about the track meaning the colored page and race against the clock actually are courtesy of Buggs Threadgill because I recognize the scanned edges, lol. I borrowed all of his drag racing articles about 10 years ago as I was trying to do a website of the Houston track. There are many more articles on my website www.aafueler.com That site is actually of the Stephens & Venables AA/Fueler that was found and restored which was from Houston. If you browse the site there are many articles, pictues, videos, etc related to the Houston track and various other Texas tracks. I also have the photo with all the racers named that are posing by their dragsters, I'm not for sure who actually acquired getting there names but everyone is identified. If you can view that image at larger zoom there is a guy that looks like Wally Clever from "Leave it to Beaver", anyway the telephone pole runs straight down to where his shoulder meets...... he was killed about a week after that photo was taken. I have the poster size print of that autographed from Ed Mabry (he just passed away a few weeks ago), Bobby Langely, Ruth Langely, Buggs and Eddie Hill... anyway you guys keep up the memories of the track, there was a lot of history at that track!!!!

• 1 year later...

in the early & mid-60s you could pay just to run time trials and be in the pits all day. seems like it cost $1.25.

in 63-65 I had a 60 Valiant with every ounce of HP I could get out of the Slant Six and still be stock and then a new 65 GTO.

it's hard to overstate how revered Don Gay was among teenage street racers of the time. He raced with his seat so far forward he was almost on the steering wheel in his Pontiac Tempests & GTOs - when he slammed the floor shifter into 2nd gear his arm was kinda behind him. That seriously cool look was responsible for the poor driving habits of a whole bunch of 60s Houston teenagers, me included.

Friday & Saturday evenings in Bellaire you could hear the loudspeaker truck going back and forth way over on South Main repeating "Toniiight at the Freeway Draaaag Strip!!!"

I love this thread.

Edited by IHB2

• 7 years later...

OK did the search on various phrases etc - came up empty handed.

The Houston International Speedway, later known as the Houston International Raceway and then Houston International Dragway, or the "Freeway Dragstrip", as well as other various names in its lifetime, was built and opened in 1957. The Dragstrip was located on the east side of Interstate 45, south of Houston, near Dickinson, Texas. The current intersection is I-45 and 16th St (also FM 646). Land for the track was donated by the Fingers Furniture family.

Grew up just up 45 from the drag strip Houston International Speedway, remember the commercial's?

"Saturday !!, Saturday!! at Houston International Speedway!!!!"

Being so close we had a lot of motor heads in the neighbor hood and school that would go there and race there.

72 thru about 75 I hooked up with Chris Gary and Joe Krupar and a fellow named Leonard Little - he actually held couple records from 60's with The Red Baron Falcon in AHA.

We had a 71 Maverick with a long rod 289 we raced.

Also there was Ted Austin and his brothers with 64 falcon delivery wagon the Whiskey Wagon along with several other guys from school and neighbor hood.

We never got any pics of the Maverick (Red Baron IV) running there.

If by chance there is someone out there that may have a pic of either the Red Baron or the Whiskey wagon would like to get a copy.

Thanks in advance

Pic below is me driving AHRA Winternationals 1973 Green Valley Raceway - Hurst/Smithfield Texas

red baron.jpg

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Houston International Speedway At 1701 FM 646
  • 2 weeks later...

Was the Houston International Speedway and Houston International Raceway at different locations?  I was browsing old newspaper and I came across (similar) addresses.

Houston International Speedway located at Gulf Freeway at Farm Road 3003 (also written as FM 3002.)

Houston International Raceway located at Farm Road 565.

Houston International Speedway.

a9OE9pn.png

Houston International Raceway.

UlCQGmN.png

Ba6FKEo.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Houston International Speedway At 1701 FM 646