Playmates Pre-School At 5221 Spruce St.

Alpha

Does anyone remember these:

I attended a nursery school in 1952 - I was four. It was somewhere in "downtown" Bellaire. I think it was called Playhouse or Playmates. The one thing that I remember the most was that they had a tricycle merry-go-round. There were about 8 - 10 tricycles mounted on a platform and only went around if all the children were pedaling.

Edit: September 2, 1954

Playmates Pre-School 

5221 Spruce / MA-2987

Mrs. Herbert Rohloff . . . Mrs. Howard Dunaway

mMtFYZA.png

The other one is the first place I taught in the early 70s. It was just east of Post Oak, but I don't remember if it was off of Willowbend or West Bellfort. It was called Town & Country School and Camp. The people who owned it were named Bobo.

I tried to find it on google, but I'm not sure. There is something south of Willow Park that looks like it could be a school.

Edit:  September 13, 1961 

Town & Country School.

Off Willowbend Blvd. at 11524 Craighdead - MO 5-1148.

Mrs. N.R. Bobo, Owner.

bNyHFPL.png

Can anyone help with either of these?

I will be happy to try and help you with those.

There is a Nursery School, probably started in the 60's that's still in business today. SO-HO nursery in South Houston, on Hwy 3 and I think Spencer Hwy. If anyone went there, and I will know that you truly went there, if you can tell me what was so special about the little shack in the back of the joint by the playground. You had to get there early to enjoy this also.

Edited by TJones

Here we go, better get my request in early. I attended for a while a Nursery School in Montrose, that could have even been its name. It was like all such in the 1940's, an old home originally. There was a big front porch with a porch swing at the left end. It was two stories and very large rooms with high ceilings. The kitchen was big enough for a table down the middle with seating for all the kids. In the back, very small yard were hutches with guinea pigs.

I stayed in trouble there because I could never nap and we had to put our little paletts down on the floor and sleep every afternoon. If you didn't behave and play by the rules, you didn't get to play with the animals.

Lunchtime was governed by Don't eat your full lunch, NO Dessert! One day a week, every week, they served, gasp, liver. My cousin Jody and I couldn't abide it. My Aunt even wrote them a note saying we should not be expected to eat the vile stuff and no punishment must be given. Hah! Sometimes they even made us sit at the table long after lunchtime and not play.

Any meanderers around here that have a clue, let me know.

• 1 year later...

I attended Shakespeare Swim Club & School [sic] for nursery & kindergarten (circa 1960). "Shakie's" was located in the Rice Village on Quenby at Kelvin. The structure is still standing, and it is now a Montessori School.

Learning to swim (and swim technically correct) at an early age was great...and fun.

Anyone have any info on "Shakie"?

I attended Shakespeare Swim Club & School [sic] for nursery & kindergarten (circa 1960). "Shakie's" was located in the Rice Village on Quenby at Kelvin. The structure is still standing, and it is now a Montessori School.

Learning to swim (and swim technically correct) at an early age was great...and fun.

Anyone have any info on "Shakie"?

What a great subject. We almost forgot about the kiddies. It would be fantastic if anyone had any group photos of the children all together? Surely someone on Haif would know of a relative or some that could answer your questions. Most Nurseries in Near East End were just simple mom and pop family day cares. Very informal. Most run by Grandma's, daughters, etc. The names of the nurseries change so often too. Good luck! :P

• The title was changed to Playmates Pre-School At 5221 Spruce St.