Westside Crime Has Chamber Buzzing

mrfootball

Westside crime has Chamber buzzing

'Mattress Mack' is among those who say 'much more needs to be done'

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/4127537.html

By ROBERT CROWE

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Crime may not have been on the official agenda at this week's Houston West Chamber of Commerce luncheon, but it seemed to be on everyone's mind.

"This concerns all of us, especially when I've had my own businesses broken into," said chamber president Jeannie M. Bollinger.

And when Bollinger asked Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale to discuss the issue, McIngvale recalled that the subject came up at an Astros game while he was talking to former President Bush and his wife. Barbara Bush, he said, asked: "What are they going to do about Westside?" Her hairdresser, McIngvale said, is afraid to go out at night.

"When the first lady says something about it, we got a problem," McIngvale said.

(Tom Frechette, spokesman for the former president, said the Bushes were vacationing overseas, so "I can't confirm nor deny" what Barbara Bush allegedly said.)

In the wake of the Aug. 5 shooting death of a 64-year-old man, Rolando Rivas, who was killed while washing his car at 6 a.m. just a block from McIngvale's Westside Tennis Club, west Houston civic leaders say violent crime is getting worse.

(continued on link)

edit: Deleted copyrighted material.

The Chronicle has asked us to not quote articles in their entirety.

dbigtex56

robert.crowe@chron.com

Edited by dbigtex56

I like what the public safety director has to say...

Mike Cummings, public safety director for the Westchase District, said crime is down this year overall and violent crime is "sporadic." The district is partly covered by HPD's Westside Patrol.

"There's not a place within Westchase District that I would consider to be a hot spot," he said

He's probably the only one saying that there isn't a problem.

Hell Yeah ! Way to go Matress Mac ! I think it is a little self serving, but he has a very very large interest in that area, and I cannot blame him for wanting to clean it all up. If he does buy out the crappy apartments around there and re-develops the whole area, it is a win-win, but of course the losers will be the folks who currently occupy that rat's nest of apartments around the Briar Forest/ Wilcrest area.

isn't everything we do a little self-serving? why should his be any different?

Mattress Mac, is usually a pretty decent giver, who rarely asks what's in it for him. He knows the score on this one though, and it is all about the Tennis Club.

I think he should buy out apartments with notorious crime rates, but find good accomodations for families who are displaced by the buyouts.

Initially I was appalled at this and then I thought about it some more.

Why can't a proper company or government entity come in to buy the complex and basically start running the place properly and kick those out that seem determined not to live with it. Not all those that live in crappy apartments are criminals, some are simply victims of circumstance who need an affordable place to live.

isn't everything we do a little self-serving? why should his be any different?

Just about everything we do in life is Sel-serving. The question is the morality and ethics of how you go about it on how it may affect others.

Initially I was appalled at this and then I thought about it some more.

Why can't a proper company or government entity come in to buy the complex and basically start running the place properly and kick those out that seem determined not to live with it. Not all those that live in crappy apartments are criminals, some are simply victims of circumstance who need an affordable place to live.

Just about everything we do in life is Sel-serving. The question is the morality and ethics of how you go about it on how it may affect others.

i don't know him, professional, civically, pesonally, or ethically... that said, i ONLY know him from commmercials and interviews i've seen on television.

my impression is that he is a pretty decent human being and at least a half-way decent humanitarian to boot. i do not know his motives, but shouldn't we give him the benefit of the doubt...?

Houston and Harris County need to have better planning in as far as Apartments go. There are too many, too spread out, causing too much trouble. For what its worth, these landowners/slumlords need to be paying an additional tax, as their impact on the community (usually negative) far exceeds what they contribute.

Edited by mrfootball

Houston and Harris County need to have better planning in as far as Apartments go. There are too many, too spread out, causing too much trouble. For what its worth, these landowners/slumlords need to be paying an additional tax, as their impact on the community (usually negative) far exceeds what they contribute.

I agree - that is what brought Sharpstown down.

I am glad the inner West side (as in around Rice University) is limiting the number of those apartments... Again, if a property is demo'ed, legit families need to be placed in wholesome environments - while criminals need to be sent to prison.

The apartment complex located at the southeast corner of Briar Forest and Kirkwood (close by) that has been there for years is boarded up and apparently soon to be demolished. Don't know what's going in there, but it should upgrade the neighborhood. There are lots of really nice homes nearby. Maybe this will start a trend.

The apartment complex located at the southeast corner of Briar Forest and Kirkwood (close by) that has been there for years is boarded up and apparently soon to be demolished. Don't know what's going in there, but it should upgrade the neighborhood. There are lots of really nice homes nearby. Maybe this will start a trend.

I have an idea - A new library!

See this map: http://hpl.lib.tx.us/branches/index.html

There is space between the Kendall and Westchase branches. The city can build a new branch in the Briar Forest area.

Edited by VicMan

i've always thought there are far too few libraries in houston.

IMO, Houston has a fairly decent amount of libraries - But Houston needs more of them :)

Should this one be called the "Westside Branch"? Or how about naming this one after a person?

IMO, Houston has a fairly decent amount of libraries - But Houston needs more of them :)

Should this one be called the "Westside Branch"? Or how about naming this one after a person?

yeah, it's a faily decent amount, but they are too far apart. i like the fact that harris county publiuc libraries has teamed up with some of the colleges (that helps).

yeah, it's a faily decent amount, but they are too far apart. i like the fact that harris county publiuc libraries has teamed up with some of the colleges (that helps).

A bit off topic, but...

Another area that needs a library is the Corinthian Pointe/West Orem area - all of these new planned communities are popping up - Corinthian Pointe already has an elementary school, YMCA, and retail. Why not throw in a library?

Edited by VicMan

Another area that needs a library is the Corinthian Pointe/West Orem area - all of these new planned communities are popping up - Corinthian Pointe already has an elementary school, YMCA, and retail. Why not throw in a library?

agreed. well, if anyone can get things done in that area its kirby john caldwell. i am sure it's in the works.

Here's a map of libraries: http://hpl.lib.tx.us/branches/index.html

Remember that Hedwig Village and West University have Harris County branches, and Bellaire has its own.

But other gaps need filling.

yeah, like the north side. i am at fm 1960 @ i45 and i cannot name a single library out this way. not sure if there is one or not, hcl or hpl.

A friend of mine who lives in the neighborhood near Briar Forest & Kirkwood called the owner of the complex regarding its status, and she was told that it is going to be reburbished and become "Grade A" apartments. We'll see.

A friend of mine who lives in the neighborhood near Briar Forest & Kirkwood called the owner of the complex regarding its status, and she was told that it is going to be reburbished and become "Grade A" apartments. We'll see.

i know a lot of companies build luxury apartments and then sell them to other owners once complete. i know that has happened to a few gables units here and there.

I agree - that is what brought Sharpstown down.

I am glad the inner West side (as in around Rice University) is limiting the number of those apartments... Again, if a property is demo'ed, legit families need to be placed in wholesome environments - while criminals need to be sent to prison.

.......And how do you propose they determine who is a "legit" family. Just because they don't have a rap sheet, doesn't mean they aren't part of the problem, it may just mean they haven't been caught yet.

I have an idea - A new library!

See this map: http://hpl.lib.tx.us/branches/index.html

There is space between the Kendall and Westchase branches. The city can build a new branch in the Briar Forest area.

Ummmm, there is a library already at the corner of Richmond and Wilcrest. I don't think the people of the Lakeside area utilize that one some much that they need their own.

Edited by TJones

Ummmm, there is a librabry already at the corner of Richmond and Wilcrest. I don't think the people of the Lakeside area utilize that one some much that they need their own.

Well, I mentioned that library (The Robinson-Westchase Branch) in my post already... - I think there should be another one anyway - Robinson-Westchase will get swamped by more people from nearby apartment complexes.

But it looks like that idea's been cooked; it looks like more apartments will be in place of the old apartments...

One could build a new library closer to Highway 6...

Edited by VicMan

theyre moving the kendall branch location to the northwest corner of eldridge and enclave.

parkway investments owns the property now. its a wooded lot that backs up to the enclave lake neighborhood.

briar forest/lakeside/memorial will all be the main access to this library. what they need to build in those locations is just housing. theres no need for anything else. unless its a park because those are always needed.

I think this is great.

I currently live about 2 miles from Westside Tennis Club.

I remember running by there a few months ago and wondered what Mattress Mack thought about having his tennis club so close to craziness...

The whole area has really pretty nice housing with some real upper crust housing closer to the bayou.

Its a shame the apartments that were built in that area 20 years ago or so have gone down so much.

Many of the residents in these units are law abiding, but there's enough there to make it a problem.

Granted the Westchase aparment district is not Gulfton but the overall residents in those apartments do not match the demographics of the area.

THe Bentworth Apts @ Briar Forest and Kirkwood were bought out recently and they are no longer taking leases.

Evidently they are going to do a total remodel to Class A standards (whatever that means- I assume really good) and that should kip riff raff out...

There are several more apartment complexes near Wilcrest, down Hayes and Kirkwood that either need to be imploded and rebuilt or gutted and rent raised like the Bentworth....

Its a shame this crap happens...

http://www.cityfeet.com/News/NewsArticle.a...ealEstateLocal/

Alabama Buyer Rescues 680-Unit Complex

By Amy Wolff Sorter of GlobeSt.com

Thursday, June 29, 2006 - HOUSTON-A foreclosure sale has a happy ending as Abbey Residential Services Inc. steps up to acquire the 680-unit Bentworth Apartments from Bentworth Apartments Ltd. Sources say the complex's value, set at $15 million by taxing authorities, could be as much as $20 million on the open market.

The complex, situated on 22.5 acres at 11655 Briar Forest Dr., was brought to market a little more than a year ago, according to David Wylie, vice president for ARA Realty Advisors in Houston. "When we took this deal to market, we got 25 offers and picked Abby Residential," says Wylie, who with ARA principal Cliff McDaniel negotiated the transaction.

As the deal moved through escrow, the complex moved into foreclosure. "On the courthouse steps, we called the buyer, said the deal is going to the courthouse, and the buyer stepped up," Wylie tells GlobeSt.com, adding Abbey Residential was able to quickly get the lender on board to help finance the property.

Despite the foreclosure, the local seller continues to be active in the market, Wylie continues, adding its constructing one or two other developments in the area. The Birmingham, AL-based Abbey Residential, which used 1031 exchange funds to help finance the purchase, will focus on fixing up and stabilizing the class C complex, currently at 70% occupancy.

Built in 1977, Bentworth Apartments has a one-, two- and three-bedroom mix. Units range from 604 sf to 1,227 sf; monthly rents go from $490 to $735.