Good Tamales?

I've done a couple of google searches and looked though b4-u-eat.com, but I can't find any information on a good source for tamales. I found some information about Alamo on Navigation, but that was about it. I'm open to any suggestions. Any information on the Houston Tamale Factory on Studemont? One caveat is that they need to offer spinach and/or bean tamales for a vegetarian friend.

Many thanks in advance.

I know you're looking for local.. *but*......

If you want to order some from not *too* far away, I believe the best tamales in TX can be found at Hot Damn Tamales on Magnolia in Fort Worth.

http://www.hotdamntamales.com/

For the record, I am in no way involved with them, just one very satisfied (sometimes too satisfied, and a nap is required) customer.

The Veggie selection from the menu is as follows:

Item/description Price

VEGETARIAN SELECTIONS

More pictures & info...

Black Beans & Oaxaca Cheese

Black Beanskissed with fresh Cilantro and Cayenne Pepper mingle with mozzarella-style cheese from the Mexican state of Oaxaca. You've never had a bean tamal like this one! The fusion of distinctive flavors makes a heavenly treat as satisfying as any meat tamal. Black Bean and Oaxaca Cheese Tamales are cloaked in a delicious seasoned masa made with 100% vegetable shortening and hand-rolled in real corn husks. Vegetarian friendly!

$8/dozen

More pictures & info... Wild Mushroom & Texas Goat Cheese

Enjoy the earthy flavor of Wild Mushrooms accented with smoky Chipotle Peppers and the subtle zing of fine Dallas Goat Cheese from the Mozzarella Company. We blend six exotic wild mushrooms to produce an exquisite flavor with subtle undertones. To this we add a hint of chipotle and smooth Texas goat cheese. We finish with a blanket of our seasoned lard-free masa and hand roll them in genuine corn husks. Muy bueno and vegetarian friendly! $12/dozen

More pictures & info...

Spring Tamales

If you want a light tamal with lots of zip, Spring Tamales fit the bill. We combine sweet Red Bell Peppers and shredded Carrots with fiery Serranos to make a "blind" tamal with just a little bit of burn. This tamal makes a wonderful light meal or snack anytime. Try some with an icy horchata, liquado, or lemonade for a refreshing change. Or crumble them for a sensational holiday stuffing. Fabuloso and vegan friendly!

$8/dozen

Pictures & info coming soon!

Fresh Corn Poblano Tamales

Our newest vegetarian offering, our Fresh Corn Poblano Tamales combine fresh corn straight off the cob, tossed with roasted poblano peppers, cilantro and cheese. You'll love the rich texture and the pleasant crunch of fresh corn! Also known as a drunk tamale. Muy rico and vegetarian friendly!

$9/dozen

• 5 weeks later...
I've done a couple of google searches and looked though b4-u-eat.com, but I can't find any information on a good source for tamales. I found some information about Alamo on Navigation, but that was about it. I'm open to any suggestions. Any information on the Houston Tamale Factory on Studemont? One caveat is that they need to offer spinach and/or bean tamales for a vegetarian friend.

Many thanks in advance.

Alamo tamales are available all over town in grocery stores. At the Navigation location you can get 6 varieties I think, including spinach, machine made, hot or cold, but the thing to get are the hot handmade tamales, available only in pork and chicken.

I wasn't at all impressed with Dona Tere - lukewarm tamales. A jalapeno and cheese - the cheese never melted and looked to be a slice of American. They don't pay particularly careful attention to the hours of service posted in the window, which are quite limited.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

but what about Texas Tamale Factory on Studewood? I live right by there, but have yet to go in. It's not so much the building that I don't like. It's the sign that says "best tamales south of the border" when it's NOT south of the border at all. unless they mean the canadian border, which would not make for good tamales...

I can tell you where NOT to buy tamales...

Stay away from Central Market's tamales.

I figured for some reason that they would sell some good tamales, but they're worst I've ever eaten. The tamales I used to buy out of the vending machines at UH were better (I think they were Alamo tamales).

Central Markets tamales have no flavor whatsoever...and they were like $8.00/dozen to boot! BTW, the lack of flavor wasn't due to lack of grease, either. They were just as greasy as any other tamale, but just horrible.

I can tell you where NOT to buy tamales...

Stay away from Central Market's tamales.

I figured for some reason that they would sell some good tamales, but they're worst I've ever eaten. The tamales I used to buy out of the vending machines at UH were better (I think they were Alamo tamales).

Central Markets tamales have no flavor whatsoever...and they were like $8.00/dozen to boot! BTW, the lack of flavor wasn't due to lack of grease, either. They were just as greasy as any other tamale, but just horrible.

This reminds me of a place in Austin that - I was told - had the most killer tamales. Being the adventurer I am - I went. I ordered some. And I ate one.

GRRRRRRose

As the final insult...the bill for one dozen of these "tamales" was almost 14 dollars. And boy were they proud of them.

It was awful. Of course, my "friend" asked me later on, with an almost gleam in his eye, "Well, wad-ga think?" It was difficult to compose myself in my lying, but I did pretty well. I remember as a child being cohersed into joining one of those Christmas-time tamale assembly lines that is religiously found in many south Texas homes, and probably in some off of Harrisburg or Navigation. The entire family gets involved with making what seems like 500 tamales in one day. And I am almost certain that in all those experiences the one ingredient you could always find in there, somewhere, was corn. I'm not sure corn was ever contemplated in the Austin tamales. But I know vegetables were. And vegetables were the one thing that I am certain was never found in any of those childhood memories, with the exception of corn. Later on that same day, I told this story to my brother in law's daughter whom lives there in Austin, and was herself raised in South Texas. She told me about a similar experience where she was given a taco: It had carrots. It kind of made me angry, for some reason.

• 6 months later...

I haven't heard about good tamales around Houston. But if you ever travel up 95 from Elgin, there is a vendor that has some awesome varieties of tamales. They told me they have a website they are starting up called Marlira's at http://marlira.com. Like I said, stop by and get some of those tamales. The guy there told me he has lots of people from Houston who buy his tamales. They ship them all around the U.S.

The tamales at Texas Tamale Factory are very good and much more reasonably priced than Berryhills. I love Berryhill, but they are very pricey. The Texas Tamale Factory makes spinach tamales, but you have to special order them.

when no hispanics go there..you have to wonder. i thought they were bad myself. i went to a party and had some and the masa was clearly raw.

Alamo tamales are available all over town in grocery stores. At the Navigation location you can get 6 varieties I think, including spinach, machine made, hot or cold, but the thing to get are the hot handmade tamales, available only in pork and chicken.

Another vote for Alamo, but only for the fresh handmade ones - they beat the pants off the frozen ones in grocery stores. I believe they have another location on Tidwell somewhere not too far off 45, but I haven't been there myself. One of my friends goes there every year to stock up on tamales for his Christmas party, and they're always a big hit.

when no hispanics go there..you have to wonder. i thought they were bad myself. i went to a party and had some and the masa was clearly raw.

Must've been an off day - I've never had that problem there. The lady who owns the place with her husband is Hispanic, and I've frequently seen her Hispanic parents making tamales in the kitchen. That said, I haven't been there in quite a while, so things may have taken a downturn since my last visit; they never did seem to get as much business as you'd think they'd need to survive. I've had better tamales, but the ones at the Tamale Factory were pretty dependable, and the price is right.

Archived