Will Houston Ever Develop Centers Like Rodeo Dr. ?

We have heat. We have humidity. We have the Galleria. Nuf-said.

Really, there is plenty of stuff in Uptown. You want pedestrian activity? Look no further than INSIDE the Galleria. What, 400+ high-end retailers? That's pretty damne fantastic if you ask me. I have 13 relatives from Mexico City flying down this thanksgiving SPECIFICALLY to do thier big shopping for the year. They chose Houston not just to spend time with us, but because of our premier shopping experience in the Uptown area. Look and listen around next time your in uptown...you hear all kinds languages and you can feel the international component. We ARE a shopping mecca. We dont need to become something completely different, not really.

We are who we are. And that's ok, nothing wrong with that.

Don't you think those pictures look alot like what we already have in Houston though?

Also, IMHO, when Uptown Park was built, they should have put the parking behind it and made the inside more of a walkable shopping area similar to what you'd really see in Florence. (Wasn't Florence the model for that development?)

I never said that the Galleria didn't have many out-of-town guests. I'm sure it does.

Citykid, were you thinking in terms of "upscale" shopping, or retail developments in which there is limited parking lots in front of the buildings? In the case of the latter, Rice Village comes close, although it has been diluted over the past few years with the newer stores along University.

The Dallas Highland village is essentially a better Uptwn park, while still placed on a parking lot.

Hopefully, Post Oak becomes the UBER shopping district in the future. The Galleria is good enough, but Post Oak will be THE place, I hope, once they get the rail there, or something.

The Dallas Highland village is essentially a better Uptwn park, while still placed on a parking lot.

Hopefully, Post Oak becomes the UBER shopping district in the future.  The Galleria is good enough, but Post Oak will be THE place, I hope, once they get the rail there, or something.

Post Oak, Wahsington Ave, and Westhiemer (Galleria Area) are our shopping "meccas"...

Serious question (and I'm not trying to be an ass but merely trying to get a better feel for everyone's thinking) but can't you walk through Highland Village just as easily as you could along Rodeo or even on Fifth Avenue? I mean, Westheimer's not very wide on that stretch and, although there are parking lots, they're not very big and the stores are pretty much lined up door-to-door on each side.

If it's a cosmethics thing, then cool... I can see wanting to "hide" the lot behind the building so as to improve the appearance but I don't think the walkability would be affected much one way or the other.

Serious question (and I'm not trying to be an ass but merely trying to get a better feel for everyone's thinking) but can't you walk through Highland Village just as easily as you could along Rodeo or even on Fifth Avenue? I mean, Westheimer's not very wide on that stretch and, although there are parking lots, they're not very big and the stores are pretty much lined up door-to-door on each side.

If it's a cosmethics thing, then cool... I can see wanting to "hide" the lot behind the building so as to improve the appearance but I don't think the walkability would be affected much one way or the other.

Well as far as walking would go, nobody barly does it here, unless its from the car to the parking lot... Until we obtain a walking "friendly" enviroment, then walking is not a top option for most people.

To me, it's more of a cosmetics thing. Highland Village is very beautifully designed and landscaped but the parking lot ruins the look. Walking down a street that looks like Main St. is much more pleasant than walking in a parking lot.