bike laws here in houston --- help!

so today i was riding to work on west alabama --- not when it's

running 2 lanes one way and 1 the other... just normal west

alabama. i am in the lane to the furthest right and riding close

to the curb for folks to pass me easily. near s. shepherd,

someone starts honking from 2 cars back, pulls up alongside

of me, rolls down the automatic window and calls me an expletive,

while flipping the bird and telling me to get the @#$% off the

road... while driving, not looking ahead of them.

legally i was following the proper procedures. i have been yelled

at, nudged by cars and honked at because (i feel) that people

aren't informed and truly believe that bikes do not belong on the

road. i use biking lanes whenever possible but not everyone

lives and works off an exact street with a bike lane.

this happens a bit and i have posted something else similar

here on HAIF. the difference in this thread is the question:

how do we inform houstonians on the rights of people biking?

many people i have talked to about this believe that bikes are

"pedestrians" and do not belong in normal traffic.

houston press, chronicle or local news station: i beg you to do

a story informing folks on this because with the current gas

prices, i can only imagine more folks will use bike to get to

shorter destinations.

thank you.

Edited by torvald

im pretty sure bikes can ride in the street. ive dont it in college station before and only been honked at once. Usually i stick to the side and only go into the street to use the turning lanes.

heh that guys a real mother but its just road rage i guess.

Edited by zaphod

Not to be a bad guy here, but what kind of bike is it ? 10 speed, a mountain bike ?

a 10 speed. i go quite fast when traffic allows and

don't weave around and things to piss folks off.

im pretty sure bikes can ride in the street. ive dont it in college station before and only been honked at once. Usually i stick to the side and only go into the street to use the turning lanes.

heh that guys a real mother but its just road rage i guess.

the problem for me is that most people i speak to think

bikes belong with sidewalk pedestrian traffic, when it

does not.

i don't hold up traffic, if i was i could see it. i give plenty

of room for passing and am usually so near the curb it is

no problem. i mostly ride in montrose, downtown, forth

ward and upper kirby.

Edited by torvald

only the really jerked up people do that - i am positive that if you hadn't been the target of that idiot's effrontery, the next person encountered would have been.

from the city of houston:

Can I ride my bike on the sidewalk?

It is acceptable to ride on the sidewalk under certain conditions, except in a business zone. A business zone is the territory that includes the contiguous 600 ft. along the roadway where there are buildings in use for business or industrial purposes that occupy 300 feet collectively on both sides of the roadway. Remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way.

http://www.publicworks.cityofhouston.gov/bikeways/faq.htm

Edited by sevfiv

I'm not really answering your question here, but...

I'm pretty sure bicycles are allowed (if not mandated to be) on the street. However, if I recall correctly, they must stay on the right side of the road at all times (except when at a red-light, which is when they may move to the center of the lane), ride with the flow of traffic, and are not allowed to weave between traffic. Additionally, they must use hand signals when turning, and if riding at night, have both lighted head- and tail-lights. See, for example, http://bicycleaustin.info/laws/tx-bike.html

I only mention it because I have NEVER seen a bicycle rider follow even half of those simple rules. Nothing against the OP, and I'm sure he rides in complete accordance with the law, but bicycle rules run both ways...too many times I have seen a pack (is it called a pelleton outside of France?) of cyclists ride way beyond the two-abreast rule (especially down Allen Parkway and Waugh), which annoys me to no end. :angry:

If cyclists want respect on the roadways, then they ought to follow the law. But until they do, I'm sure cyclists can expect to receive a few more unpleasant run-ins with drivers.

how do we inform houstonians on the rights of people biking.

many people i have talked to about this believe that bikes are

"pedestrians" and do not belong in normal traffic.

houston press, chronicle or local news station i beg you to do

a story informing folks on this because with the current gas

prices i can only imagine more folks will use bike to get to

shorter destinations.

During rush hr, I tend to stay off of the busy thoroughfares while riding my bike for MY safety. In most areas of town it is very easy to avoid the busy streets by just riding through neighborhood streets which are usually parallel to the main thoroughfares. I ride from 610/45south to downtown regularly and have multiple routes where traffic isn't a problem. I also ride in the Heights/midtown/hermann park/river oaks/montrose and there are always streets that aren't busy.

even with signage on the designated bike routes, some drivers believe they are in charge of the lane and won't "share the road."

a 10 speed. i go quite fast when traffic allows and

don't weave around and things to piss folks off.

I was gonna suggest that if you had a mountain bike, you might ride on the sidewalk, and then ride perfectly legal in the street if there were no sidewalk. The thing that irritates me, is that there are alot of bikers who DO NOT follow the rules of the road, or abide by the traffic laws. You may be the exception, on the other hand though, don't expect the 'Tards who flip fingers at you and curse you to automatically know that you are well within your rights. Remember, it has been several years since some of these Yahoos got their licenses, and there are alot out there driving without them at all. So, pay attention to your surroundings.

Edited by TJones

Bicycles are not only allowed on the street, there are required to be on the street. They are not required to get out of a car's way. They may take up the entire lane. Auto drivers confuse the courtesy of bicyclists like torvald in staying to the side as not being allowed on the street. They are incorrect. Unfortunately, to be right could be to be dead, so most cyclists stay to the side anyway.

What to do? I don't know. This is the same mentality that causes people to oppose mass transit. But, how do you convince a self-centered idiot that your cycling and my riding mass transit frees up road space for him to engage in his road rage?

They may take up the entire lane. Auto drivers confuse the courtesy of bicyclists like torvald in staying to the side as not being allowed on the street. They are incorrect. Unfortunately, to be right could be to be dead, so most cyclists stay to the side anyway.

WRONG!!!!

See Tex. Trans. Code. Section 551.103. This statute states:

Edited by uncertaintraveler

WRONG. See Tex. Trans. Code.

Actually Red is correct:

What is the correct way of passing a cyclist on a shared road?

"If you are a bicyclist, the same traffic rules hold true for passing bicycles or other vehicles on a shared road. If you are a motorist remember that the bicycle is a vehicle too and has the right to occupy the full lane under certain conditions. You must pass on the left lane following the normal traffic rules."

"A bicyclist and motorist can travel on the same lane. The striped lane separates a motorist lane and a bicyclist lane. In both cases, a bicyclist can take the full traffic lane if road hazards or concerns warrant it: debris or busy driveways are an example."

Can I ride my bike on the sidewalk?

"It is acceptable to ride on the sidewalk under certain conditions, except in a business zone. A business zone is the territory that includes the contiguous 600 ft. along the roadway where there are buildings in use for business or industrial purposes that occupy 300 feet collectively on both sides of the roadway. Remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way."

Found at: http://www.publicworks.cityofhouston.gov/bikeways/faq.htm

A highly recommended book for those that do a lot of urban cycling: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076272783...2927921?ie=UTF8

How. About. A. Link ? :D

See my edited post. Had some trouble getting the statute to post correctly.

Actually Red is correct:

What is the correct way of passing a cyclist on a shared road?

"If you are a bicyclist, the same traffic rules hold true for passing bicycles or other vehicles on a shared road. If you are a motorist remember that the bicycle is a vehicle too and has the right to occupy the full lane under certain conditions. You must pass on the left lane following the normal traffic rules."

Found at: http://www.publicworks.cityofhouston.gov/bikeways/faq.htm

Again, look at the Texas statute I posted above which enumerates the "certain conditions." Under most, normal conditions, bicycles do not have the right to occupy the full lane.

See my edited post. Had some trouble getting the statute to post correctly.

Again, look at the Texas statute I posted above which enumerates the "certain conditions." Under most, normal conditions, bicycles do not have the right to occupy the full lane.

Ok, I suppose we're into semantics at this point. Nowhere does the statute dicatate that a cyclist may not take the whole lane, only barring certain circumstances "shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway." Per TJones link, "Near the curb is subjective (we recommend leaving a cushion of about three feet) but the law gives a cyclist the right to take the lane when necessary for safety. "

So, with most urban surface streets being 10 feet wide, 3 feet into the lane leaves 7 remaining feet, which, for all intents and purposes, is taking the whole lane.

I absolutely agree, for example, that cycling down Richmond during rush hour is not safe or prudent, and cyclists should use judgement about their routes. But a bicycle is a "road-going vehicle" and may ride on whatever surface street they wish, and as deemed necessary, may take the lane.

Edited by Orikal

(4) the person is operating a bicycle in an outside

lane that is:

(A) less than 14 feet in width and does not have a

designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane;

Virtually every lane is less than 14 feet, on a multi-laned street, such as Alabama. So, if there is no bicycle leane marked, the cyclist may use the lane. On a 2-way residential curb and guttered street, the lane widths are usually more than 14 feet, so staying to the side is proscribed.

• 1 month later...

Several years ago I was driving through downtown, must have been an odd hour, not much traffic over on the east side where there is nearly no one around. I think I was taking the wife to dinner. My light turned green I proceeded to go through the light looked up and two bikers came right through the light from the side. I had to tap the brakes lightly, nothing scary, but I did honk the horn and kind of through my hands up like what gives? then continued through the intersection. thinking man those guys must have a death wish and also they had no respect for the road laws if they wanted to share the road.

I look in my mirror one of the guys is now chasing me yelling. He catches me near the next light I catch 2 or 3 blocks down. He starts beating on my back glass then the sides of my explorer as he catches me all the time yelling obscenities and flipping me and wife out. So I jump out and beat him to a pulp. just kidding, I then notice he is like 6'5" and 230 he looks like mark mcgwire. So I press the gas and me and my wife comment on what an asshole, thinking to myself damn that guy was huge no way i'm getting into it with the likes of him.

point is people apparently are jerks on both sides but this guy definately scewed my opinion of bike riders for a while.

Edited by westguy76

west, c'mon man, you know those guys don't look tough AT ALL in those biker shorts, besides, when they wear those, you have the upperhand, because you know exactly where to kick them ! ;):lol:

funny i don't remember noticing what he was wearing but you're right he must not have been wearing spandex. He wasn't the typical road biker you see. I never got wearing man hose riding a bike, any advantage gained aerodynamically has got to be upset by the uncoolness/gayness factor of wearing spandex panties. Not that there's any thing wrong with that. I have plenty of gay friends. just kidding. toungue in cheek. :ph34r:

funny i don't remember noticing what he was wearing but you're right he must not have been wearing spandex. He wasn't the typical road biker you see. I never got wearing man hose riding a bike, any advantage gained aerodynamically has got to be upset by the uncoolness/gayness factor of wearing spandex panties. Not that there's any thing wrong with that. I have plenty of gay friends. just kidding. toungue in cheek. :ph34r:

You must not ride a bike much. There are two advantages to the pants, neither aerodynamic. One, there is no loose clothing to get caught in moving parts. Two, the padding in the crotch/butt helps a lot on longer rides. In fact, I often wear TWO pair on rides of 30 miles or more.

NOTE: This post in no way defends the behavior of the cyclist you observed. Even rude drivers deserve nothing more than a glare or a hand gesture. It goes without saying that both groups should respect the other's right to be on the road. This clown does us no favors by his actions.

There are two advantages to the pants, neither aerodynamic. One, there is no loose clothing to get caught in moving parts. Two, the padding in the crotch/butt helps a lot on longer rides. In fact, I often wear TWO pair on rides of 30 miles or more.

i truly learn something new here every day ^_^

You must not ride a bike much. There are two advantages to the pants, neither aerodynamic. One, there is no loose clothing to get caught in moving parts. Two, the padding in the crotch/butt helps a lot on longer rides. In fact, I often wear TWO pair on rides of 30 miles or more.

NOTE: This post in no way defends the behavior of the cyclist you observed. Even rude drivers deserve nothing more than a glare or a hand gesture. It goes without saying that both groups should respect the other's right to be on the road. This clown does us no favors by his actions.

I was mostly funning about the shorts. It's a matter of personal preferance i guess. I do have some bicycling shorts that look like cargo shorts with padding in the butt region, they definately make a long ride more comfortable. I have never had a problem getting any thing caught in moving parts though. except a shoestring. I mainly have a problem with bicyclists chosing a two lane busy rural highway to ride on with no shoulders. I used to see them all the time riding 1464 between highway 90 and 1093. I want them to have there own choices where to ride but not if it endangers me as well. cheers