METRORail University Line

ricco67

Well that's part of having a voice, people will disagree and you're entitled to do so. I wouldn't expect YOU to agree with me anyway, seeing that most of your posts indicate that rail is not something you stand for.

I'm for rail, I just don't like the implementation chosen.

I wasn't necessarily saying that Dallas, ATL, and Denver surpassed Houston in traffic congestion, I was talking in terms of the number of transportation options. Austin seems to be currently adopting a more aggressive plan for a more expansive rail system that Houston right now. Also your website fails to point out that Houston's city limits are twice as big as the other cities mentioned, so those facts of who has the worse traffic congestion tend to get skewed.

Choice is great however the options don't appear to be working as Houston has a higher public transportation ridership. SustainLane data

I just want the best for Houston. Houston has been the king when it comes to freeway expansion and sprawl, but the demands of today point that people want to have more options other than having to drive to enjoy city amentities.

Any supporting data? Due to our large land area, options that benefit the most for the least money is ideal.

No i'm not implying that only young professionals will ride rail. I smiply meant that older generations who live in Houston are scared of change. Also Buses contribute to overcrowding the freeways. BRT and LRT have their own dedicated lane. NUFF SAID.
BRT and LRT do have their dedicated lanes AT the expensive of vehicular traffic. Therefore traffic will become worse.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You going straight down Main on downtown is just a mistake in picking a route to be honest with you. I don't go down that road at all unless I have to go to 2016 main, and EVEN at that point, I'd rather go down fannin or Milam.

When I first started driving many moons ago, I was VERY aware of the Anita and Rosalie streets. They were a hazard to traffic due to the fact that some people simply didn't have the wherewithal to use those streets effectively and have had witnessed quite a few accidents because of it.

To this day, I use Stuart, Anita, and Tuam because I had to..and barely am able to get across safely at times.

I needed to go to a business on Main therefore i had no other option.

I"m confused at how a street is a hazard to traffic? Bad drivers may be a hazard but not a street.

Okay C2H, you asked for this :rolleyes:

No i'm not implying that only young professionals will ride rail. I smiply meant that older generations who live in Houston are scared of change.

Old people eventually can't drive and are more dangerous to society if they are handicapped (like have poor motor skills or bad vision) and forced to drive because they have no other choice. I can't tell you how many times a half blind old lady almost shares a lane with me. They need options, and rail is great for them. ^_^

Also Buses contribute to overcrowding the freeways. BRT and LRT have their own dedicated lane. NUFF SAID.

If people were not so stubborn and would not drive one person per car (or in Houston SUV), we would not be crowded to begin with. :angry:

And buses help remove (guestimate) like 20 o 30 cars (if you consider my above statement and fill in a bus with 20 to 30 people) :huh:

How does that contribute to overcrowding when we are going to remove so many cars in the process??? :blink:

Is this thread ready to collapse under its own weight yet? :unsure:

You going straight down Main on downtown is just a mistake in picking a route to be honest with you. I don't go down that road at all unless I have to go to 2016 main, and EVEN at that point, I'd rather go down fannin or Milam.

When I first started driving many moons ago, I was VERY aware of the Anita and Rosalie streets. They were a hazard to traffic due to the fact that some people simply didn't have the wherewithal to use those streets effectively and have had witnessed quite a few accidents because of it.

To this day, I use Stuart, Anita, and Tuam because I had to..and barely am able to get across safely at times.

I"m confused at how a street is a hazard to traffic? Bad drivers may be a hazard but not a street.

A street can be a hazard if there isn't if there isn't enough visibility to allow to cross properly.

Stuart at Louisianna at the Calias apartments is one example. Stuart at Main is another BEFORE the rail was built. Those two intersections are but two of the ones that I can think of off hand.

There are always other options, it's just a matter of finding a way. When going to 2016 main, if I'm able I just go down Grayor go down Pierce and take a right on Main and doing a right ok Gray.

other alternatives is simply take Fannin or Travis and circle your way to it. It's not that difficult.

A street can be a hazard if there isn't if there isn't enough visibility to allow to cross properly.

Stuart at Louisianna at the Calias apartments is one example. Stuart at Main is another BEFORE the rail was built. Those two intersections are but two of the ones that I can think of off hand.

Ah ok by visibility standards. So may i make the assumption that the buildings were too close to the road and that is what impaired visibility?

Only reason i'm asking is that many feel that setbacks should be lessened in the area i.e. buildings should be closer to street.

Okay, here' my first and possibly only "conversational" post on this thread (a lot of the commentary as of late I can't take seriously enough to respond to in a meaningful way).

I happen to agree with Musicman in that I would prefer a dedicated, non intrusive alignment for METRO Rail (meaning, an alignment that takes it off existing streets and runs it within a dedicate ROW, which would alleviate congestion for both the train and the cars). The problem with that, however, is given the additional monies required to properly design and then build such a route so that it is most accessible to potential riders yet remains "off street", it would prove to be wholly detrimental to its implementation when one considers the political climate that exists in Washington on Houston's behalf. METRO had to build its own line out of its own pockets using an at-grade and a "shared" ROW. Imagine the cost to build a line, even at-grade, on singular ROW? Now imagine the likes of Culberson seriously working to help secure such funding for METRO.

To that end, I can say that don't have a problem with the current Main Street line (outside of the shabby job of synchornizing streetlights) because it connects many of the city's bigger points of interests. It is fine for a starter line, but future expansions of the system, given concurrence by any federal financing authority, would work best, IMO, if done via a unique ROW that does not impede on any other existing mode.

Okay, I'm done. Now back to more prognostications of doom because of gated townhouse communities, strip malls and the lack of cool sounding developments that are barely seperated from abandoned, blighted neighborhoods (Atlantic Station, et al). ;)

Okay C2H, you asked for this :rolleyes:

How does that contribute to overcrowding when we are going to remove so many cars in the process??? :blink:

Is this thread ready to collapse under its own weight yet? :unsure:

Now first of all, how did this become my problem? I said what i had to say and now BOOM!!! I'm done :D

I just had to speak on The Niche's comment saying that we should wait on Mass transit.

I stand corrected on the bus issue. I almost forgot that buses ride in the HOV lane in Houston. I still live in CO so i based my comment on what i see in Denver and other cities. In Denver, there are no HOVs and buses get stuck in traffic with cars, and yes in turn that contributes to overcrowding freeways. My only point was (and i'm repeating my self), LRT has a dedicated lane that wouldn't have to deal with the traffic problems like buses get caught in.

Okay, I'm done. Now back to more prognostications of doom because of gated townhouse communities, strip malls and the lack of cool sounding developments that are barely seperated from abandoned, blighted neighborhoods

HEY, I recognize that place. I uh, I think th th th that's Houston!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think that it's a relatively smart move. Wait until they see what happens in congress and see how the winds change.

I don't know how this will affect the other lines' construction, but I am curious about that.

I think that it's a relatively smart move. Wait until they see what happens in congress and see how the winds change.

I agree. Removing the Culberson roadblock can only help but this is the first I've heard of a March 07 date. Anyone have any confirmation or is it just conjecture?

I agree. Removing the Culberson roadblock can only help but this is the first I've heard of a March 07 date. Anyone have any confirmation or is it just conjecture?

It is on Metro's most recent News Flash, I received the e-mail yesterday.

It is on Metro's most recent News Flash, I received the e-mail yesterday.

I believe the March 2007 date applies only to route selection on both east and west ends of the University Line. The email details the current status on each of the other lines so progress on BRT routes are not connected with the UC date.

I wish they would descirbe in detail what they plan to do between now and March 2007.

this is what they say on the website:

"Due to tremendous public participation, project team members continue to examine dozens of possible routes on both the eastern and western segments"

this is what they mean:

"our preferred routes on the east and west ends have powerful opponents. if Culberson is reelected we will do Plan B, if he's not we will do Plan A. it will take us until March to figure out a way for Plan B to meet FTA funding requirements because Plan B manages to miss most of the high-density UC destinations while also following the route with the lowest potential ridership."

this is what they say on the website:

"Due to tremendous public participation, project team members continue to examine dozens of possible routes on both the eastern and western segments"

this is what they mean:

"our preferred routes on the east and west ends have powerful opponents. if Culberson is reelected we will do Plan B, if he's not we will do Plan A. it will take us until March to figure out a way for Plan B to meet FTA funding requirements because Plan B manages to miss most of the high-density UC destinations while also following the route with the lowest potential ridership."

That's pretty much the way I see it. And it looks like Plan A may have a much better chance than it did even a week ago. Thanks Denny. :P

I don't know how I got on this mailing list but for those who are interested this may be nothing more than re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic:

The Mobility Coaltion and No Rail on Richmond invite you to a Rally for

The Honorable John Culberson

U.S. Congressman, Seventh District of Texas

Thursday, October 19, 2006

5:30 p.m.~7:30 p.m.

The Koch Building

3800 Cummins/20 Greenway Plaza

Refreshments Served

RSVP: Gayla Hamilton (713)961-9619 or

gaylahamilton@sbcglobal.net

KoolAid and brownies all around!!!

[Life preservers on request]

I don't know how I got on this mailing list but for those who are interested this may be nothing more than re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic:

Sounds like someone on here harvested your email address and signed you up as a joke, GEE, I wonder who. . . ??? :lol::ph34r::P

I received the invite in the mail here at work. I'm guessing I'm now on their mailing list because I filled out the poll they sent up and down Richmond to the various offices .... which means anyone who answered that poll, regardless if they were for or against Richmond rail is now on Culberson's mailing list.

Oh Joy !!

Uh huh...seems like neither you nor AftonAg realize that you're each more a liability to your respective causes than you are an asset. Just as a basic bit of advice, if you're going to make disparaging comments about somebody, at least explain where you're coming from instead of using the ol' "it's time to tell the loud-mouthed, dim-witted naysayers to shove it and get out of the way" routine. I could easily retort by saying the following:

"You are naysaying my effort to naysay. With that in mind, SHOVE IT AND GET OUT OF MY WAY!"

There, did that mean anything? Did it accomplish anything? Have I furthered my political agenda...or have I shown everybody on the fence just how little I care about the quality of the decisions that I make that may affect them?

Niche You see me as a liability to my cause - no surprise to me. I see you as a bombastic, holier than thou type when it comes to any issue you "support" and any one that doesn't fall neatly in line behind you is automatically intellectually inferior to you. Too bad that isn't the case. In the future just leave me out of your rants.

I received the invite in the mail here at work. I'm guessing I'm now on their mailing list because I filled out the poll they sent up and down Richmond to the various offices .... which means anyone who answered that poll, regardless if they were for or against Richmond rail is now on Culberson's mailing list.

Oh Joy !!

ok so that eliminates me as the culprit - besides I have been out of town for the last several days and have not posted . . . . I see that nothing has changed.

ok so that eliminates me as the culprit - besides I have been out of town for the last several days and have not posted . . . . I see that nothing has changed.

Says you!. . . , last I checked cities other than Houston have internet access too, I have heard the internet is really starting to spread out, eventually all the big cities will have access to it, you just wait! ^_^

*sarcasm* :P

Sounds like someone on here harvested your email address and signed you up as a joke, GEE, I wonder who. . . ??? :lol::ph34r::P

Not a chance. That would be a very complex operation. It must have been from when I was on Aftonshire and did a change of address when I moved here to the slums. ;)

Says you!. . . , last I checked cities other than Houston have internet access too, I have heard the internet is really starting to spread out, eventually all the big cities will have access to it, you just wait! ^_^

*sarcasm* :P

Yeah! I just got back from one of them thar feren kuntries [wear they don't speak 'merican!!!] and I was in a cafe with my lap-top thingy and there I wuz on tha Wurld Wide Net-with no wires!!!! It wuz just like I wuz on my 'puter box back home! :P

Look at this.

With just one line, MetroRail is already the 11th most ridden light rail system in the U.S.

How can other cities get funding when they have 60,000 people riding rail a day on a 45 mile track and Houston still discussing if light rail will work and where and we get over 30,000 riders a day on 7.5 miles. Houston by far has a higher ridership per mile then any other non NE city.

Archived