what are the advantages and disadvantages of living in Austin?

Samsoner

Hi, I'm in my twenties. Moving to Texas for school and hopefully can get a steady job/career going in Houston, which is my original destination. But I've heard so many great things about Austin..from friends, co-workers, and the media.

Still, I'm a skeptic. I was born and raised in San Francisco which to many people around the US and the world is a nearly perfect city. But it's not..SF has alot of problems. Traffic is one of them, homelessness, crime are a close second. Also, let's not forget the ridiculous high cost of living there. Still, it's a "cool" city and everyone wants to live there.

Therefore, I'd like to hear from you guys about what life is really like in Austin. I've read the blog Austinist, visited AustinChronicle.com, but that's only information.

I'm primarily interested in the vitality of Austin's job market, and learning about neighborhoods in Austin that have affordable housing (my range is from $100 to $200) in low-crime areas. The music scene, social life and the natural environment within Austin is no longer a mystery to me.

My plan would be to move to Houston, go to school there and build my finances then move to Austin or outside of Texas for my career. Or, as an alternative I could go straight to Austin.

Thanks!

Quite frankly, in the long run, Austin bores me.

Austin is a great place to go to college and it's a great place to head out into the lakes and rivers of the hill country, but if you are from San Francisco (the actual city and not the burbs), then I'd wager to guess that Austin would bore you too.

Austin has a great reputation and much of it is well deserved. But, last time I checked, Austin had horrible traffic, inflated home prices by Texas standards, lacked diversity, didn't have an interesting nightlife scene if you are over the age of 25, was devoid of culture beyond Texana and live music, and was a hard place to get some good Seafood, Asian cuisine, or a host of other things that are readily more available in larger cities.

Houston gets a bum rap, but it is really a great city once you get to know it. We have light rail, the Menil Collection, a developing downtown, world class shopping, an airport where you can fly to Japan, Brazil, Trinidad, England, Angola, Argentina, 30 places in Mexico, Belize, Jamaica, France, Venezuela, Canada, Guatemala, Costa Rica, the Netherlands, Colombia, Peru, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Germany, Honduras, Ecuador, Cayman, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Hawai'i, Alaska, and a host of other places non-stop.

My plan would be to move to Houston, go to school there and build my finances then move to Austin or outside of Texas for my career. Or, as an alternative I could go straight to Austin.

Thanks!

I came to Houston for school because, frankly, I couldn't get into UT or A&M without a second year of foreign language in high school...and I didn't stand a chance at passing it because the teacher was from France and graded more on effort than on knowledge. And I never exerted effort...just knew the material.

Anyhow, that was the best thing that could've ever happened. I found a cushy office job within a few months (just before exhausting my savings), moved up within the organization as far as I could within a couple years, and then leveraged the experience to get 50% more pay in a cool job while I was still in school where by all rights in a fair world, I should've had a 4-year degree before being allowed to do this kind of work. I'm only 22 and still never once have had to take out a student loan. On the contrary, I own a big share of a condo, and am about to close on a house. That probably wouldn't have happened in Austin.

That's the greatest thing about UH that levels the playing field in comparison with UT or A&M. Our labor market is so large and diverse, and we don't have the burden of 50,000 undergrads all competing with each other for the best jobs.

Hi, I'm in my twenties. Moving to Texas for school and hopefully can get a steady job/career going in Houston, which is my original destination. But I've heard so many great things about Austin..from friends, co-workers, and the media.

Still, I'm a skeptic. I was born and raised in San Francisco which to many people around the US and the world is a nearly perfect city. But it's not..SF has alot of problems. Traffic is one of them, homelessness, crime are a close second. Also, let's not forget the ridiculous high cost of living there. Still, it's a "cool" city and everyone wants to live there.

Therefore, I'd like to hear from you guys about what life is really like in Austin. I've read the blog Austinist, visited AustinChronicle.com, but that's only information.

I'm primarily interested in the vitality of Austin's job market, and learning about neighborhoods in Austin that have affordable housing (my range is from $100 to $200) in low-crime areas. The music scene, social life and the natural environment within Austin is no longer a mystery to me.

Thanks!

I think Austin is a great city. To me, it's very similar to SF in it's hills, closeness to open water activities, and natural beauty. Not to mention more of a bohemian culture than any other city in Texas, if not the south in general. There are more outdoor activities than any other Texas city and has a strong and vibrant downtown as well.

With that said, I think when you get to Houston you'll be impressed with the activities and vitality of our city. There are many more opportunities for you in Houston and you may just decide to stay. Many people that I know that have stayed were like you. They planned on attending Rice/UH/TSU and moving back to where they came from or somewhere else. This city grows on you, there's more to it than you see from the outside. Either way, welcome to Texas! We're thrilled you're here.

I'd have to agree to what is basically said on here.

it's a great place to be if you're in your 20's with a great single and party scene, but unless you establish yourself quickly in a career you're going to want to leave, unless you're such an outdoor person that you are willing to settle for that.

Houston has the Gulf (close by), Austin has the hills,so I guess those cancel each other out. But if you like sports, particulary professional, we have 4 major league teams if you count the Dynamo and 3 brand new venues (MMP,Reliant,Toyota). Austin unfortunately has no major league pro franchises, yet anyway. Of course they have UT, which is as big time college as it gets. The San Antonio Spurs are close, though, and they do have the Round Rock AAA team. And Austinites can follow the teams here and in the Metroplex if they want.

So if you're into sports like I am, those are some things to consider !

Now first off you got to remember Austin and Houston are completely different levels at comparison. Of course Houston has alot more to do and to offer in certain aspects, its the 4th largest city in the nation. Austin is closer to San Francisco's population, although our Metro is not as large as SF's. This is a really great city to live. Its considered one of the best places in the nation to live in by many financial magazines as well as having one of the lowest crime rates in the nation for a city our size. Traffic is bad unfortunately and that is because of lack of planning, though we are getting commuter rail which is to be running by 2008 as well as new freeways some of which will be tolls though. Austin's downtown is becoming more and more of a 24 hour downtown every day, new highrise condos are sprouting up all over and our downtown is becoming a premier place to shop, dine, and party at night. Unlike some of the other people who mentioned there is not much for you to do over 25 that is untrue. Austin has a great Symphony Orchestra and world class Ballet as well. A new performing arts center is now under construction as well as several other cultural arts facilities either undergoing expansion or having new facilities built. We have very nice upscale clubs for the older crowds and we have great live music just about anywhere. We have a great outdoor scene with just about everything you can think of doing outdoors here. Our Job market is very strong and we are once again one of the fastest growing cities not only in the state but in the nation. Our Housing costs are still not as high as some markets in the nation and really are lower than that of San Franciscos. Again some people may not realize that Austin has a pretty good Asian population second fastest ethnic group behind Hispanics. We have many great Asian restraunts as well as the largest Asian market in Texas outside of Houston which just recently opened at the beginning of July. I'm just basically trying to give you a perspective from somebody who is from Austin rather than people who may not know the city like a native Austinite does. There is even more to tell about Austin though I am pressed for time. Ill try to add some other things later.

Now first off you got to remember Austin and Houston are completely different levels at comparison. Of course Houston has alot more to do and to offer in certain aspects, its the 4th largest city in the nation. Austin is closer to San Francisco's population, although our Metro is not as large as SF's. This is a really great city to live. Its considered one of the best places in the nation to live in by many financial magazines as well as having one of the lowest crime rates in the nation for a city our size. Traffic is bad unfortunately and that is because of lack of planning, though we are getting commuter rail which is to be running by 2008 as well as new freeways some of which will be tolls though. Austin's downtown is becoming more and more of a 24 hour downtown every day, new highrise condos are sprouting up all over and our downtown is becoming a premier place to shop, dine, and party at night. Unlike some of the other people who mentioned there is not much for you to do over 25 that is untrue. Austin has a great Symphony Orchestra and world class Ballet as well. A new performing arts center is now under construction as well as several other cultural arts facilities either undergoing expansion or having new facilities built. We have very nice upscale clubs for the older crowds and we have great live music just about anywhere. We have a great outdoor scene with just about everything you can think of doing outdoors here. Our Job market is very strong and we are once again one of the fastest growing cities not only in the state but in the nation. Our Housing costs are still not as high as some markets in the nation and really are lower than that of San Franciscos. Again some people may not realize that Austin has a pretty good Asian population second fastest ethnic group behind Hispanics. We have many great Asian restraunts as well as the largest Asian market in Texas outside of Houston which just recently opened at the beginning of July. I'm just basically trying to give you a perspective from somebody who is from Austin rather than people who may not know the city like a native Austinite does. There is even more to tell about Austin though I am pressed for time. Ill try to add some other things later.

I'm a native Driftwoodian (Hays County), so if I may offer a counterpoint:

Austin has lost a lot of its charm since I lived out there. There was something about the 90's tech boom that ruined it. It became just another big city...albeit one with a big Tier One university. It still isn't quite comparable with something like Houston or Dallas, but it strikes me as now having all the big city problems, but with even higher costs of housing than its neighboring metropolitan areas.

There are elements of the city that are still aesthetically original, but the culture that surrounds it just isn't the same. Californification, if I may borrow a term from Red Hot Chili Peppers. Makes for great shopping, if you're into that kind of thing, but something intangible and unique died in the process.

I will always have a fondness for Austin, but Houston is my new home. Austin is where my relatives are (and is a stopoff on journies further west).

If you are musically inclined and can make a living playing then Austin could be your ticket to fame. If you have the right business and have a surplus of money to buy yourself a Harley and a powerboat, and live in the Beescaves area or Townlake or Lake Travis area, you can have pretty much the best time of your life in Austin, especially if you are a UT fan and enjoy golfing and drinking on 6th street. Austin is a scenic wonder, but it takes money or you can go the other route and be a hippie and have a pretty good time also. :lol:

Only someone who has never been to San Francisco would compare Austin to San Francisco. Austin is a nice small city, albeit one with many big-city problems and issues.

It's a good place to be young -- full of dive bars and college-age-targeted entertainment and diversions. It lacks diversity and sophistication, though. There are few fine restaurants, but many decent ones. There are few high culture options but relatively many pop culture ones. There are no major league sports, but lots of college and high school sports.

Among recent Austinites, there is a strange fascination with griping about California transplants, yet secretly, they wear their invasion like a badge -- like it's validation for their city. Longtime Austinites are just as confounded by this as I am. Most of Austin also suffers from the same delusions Dallas does, regarding heat. They like to chastise Houston for our weather and pretend 100+ temps are somehow magically comfortable there. I'll grant them that their evenings are nicer than ours for being outside, but our greenery is much nicer.

Austinites self-promote to the point of making me sick. It comes off as very provencial. They talk a lot about things being "so Austin" or point to their "keep Austin weird" bumper stickers whenever possible. Truth is, to anyone who's traveled even a little bit, Austin is not very weird. It's not really the bohemian heaven it would like you to think it is, either. It's a big college town. Most people who've been out of Texas in their lives would call it a fairly typical college town.

It just seems as if there is alot of bashing against Austin on this thread, Hmmm seems strange to me that so many people seem to feel this way toward my home or is it out of jealousy maybe??? As I stated ealier Austin IS NOT JUST FOR COLLAGE KIDS. Its not just a collage town and honestly its not a town at all. Austin still has alot of charm albiet the city has changed dramatically since the 90's and even before that. Now I agree with the fact that some people here think that there is something so profoundly weird about the city wich in all honestly I don't find it any weirder than any other city. That point taken, Austin has charm and class. While Austin may have a higher cost of living than other Texas cities, on a national level, Austin is not considered to be that bad when it comes to cost of living. Im not saying Austin is the best place in the world or anything but give alittle credit to the capital city. Sheesh... :blink:

It just seems as if there is alot of bashing against Austin on this thread, Hmmm seems strange to me that so many people seem to feel this way toward my home or is it out of jealousy maybe??? As I stated ealier Austin IS NOT JUST FOR COLLAGE KIDS. Its not just a collage town and honestly its not a town at all. Austin still has alot of charm albiet the city has changed dramatically since the 90's and even before that. Now I agree with the fact that some people here think that there is something so profoundly weird about the city wich in all honestly I don't find it any weirder than any other city. That point taken, Austin has charm and class. While Austin may have a higher cost of living than other Texas cities, on a national level, Austin is not considered to be that bad when it comes to cost of living. Im not saying Austin is the best place in the world or anything but give alittle credit to the capital city. Sheesh... :blink:

Fair enough. I must admit that I wouldn't be nearly as averse to living/working in Austin as I would be to just about any big Texas city other than Houston.

Still, I've got a pretty strong bias toward the city that has treated me so well. Moreover, Houston has a certain libertarian nature to it that is the antithesis of Austin's nature. I could never envision myself staying in real estate if I worked in Austin...it'd be way too frustrating.

Only someone who has never been to San Francisco would compare Austin to San Francisco. Austin is a nice small city, albeit one with many big-city problems and issues.

It's a good place to be young -- full of dive bars and college-age-targeted entertainment and diversions. It lacks diversity and sophistication, though. There are few fine restaurants, but many decent ones. There are few high culture options but relatively many pop culture ones. There are no major league sports, but lots of college and high school sports.

Among recent Austinites, there is a strange fascination with griping about California transplants, yet secretly, they wear their invasion like a badge -- like it's validation for their city. Longtime Austinites are just as confounded by this as I am. Most of Austin also suffers from the same delusions Dallas does, regarding heat. They like to chastise Houston for our weather and pretend 100+ temps are somehow magically comfortable there. I'll grant them that their evenings are nicer than ours for being outside, but our greenery is much nicer.

Austinites self-promote to the point of making me sick. It comes off as very provencial. They talk a lot about things being "so Austin" or point to their "keep Austin weird" bumper stickers whenever possible. Truth is, to anyone who's traveled even a little bit, Austin is not very weird. It's not really the bohemian heaven it would like you to think it is, either. It's a big college town. Most people who've been out of Texas in their lives would call it a fairly typical college town.

I would have to disagree with the vast majority of this post. I think Austin is Austin and that's why Austinites love it. It doesn't try to be Houston, DFW, or SA because it doesn't have to. It has something none of the other cities have, a beautiful natural landscape full of parks, lakes, and free spirits that are drawn to cities like it (i.e., San Francisco). It doesn't need pro sports nor does it seek them out. They've already got everything they want.

I also don't agree that it is a college town, to me to be a college town the city has to be small (i.e., College Station). Austin is a large city that doesn't revolve around a college, 6th Street isn't all Austin is. You can't tell me that students are living on Lake Austin, Lake Travis, Bee Caves, Dripping Springs, etc.

I totally agree with your heat issue though, at least from people in N. Texas where it will be 100+ today and a mild 93 in H-Town.

• 3 weeks later...

i lived in Austin for 8 years, S.A. for 1 year, and San Marcos for 1 year, and about 20 years in Houston...

if i were going to live in any city in texas other than houston, it would be austin again.

if you like live music, austin is great.

austin is certainly not a 'college town'. it is a city with a large college in it and a lot of things that cater to a younger crowd. if you're in your 20s, and consider yourself anywhere close to the stereotypical 'average' american 20-something, you'll really like austin.

there are jobs in austin, depending on what you do, you might want to just go there.

austin is not like SF, except that it is the most liberal place in the state - like SF. austin is the most 'california-like' city in texas, but easier to meet people and get involved in whatever.

you can get a good place in a good area for under 200k. you'll be in the suburbs, but austin isn't like houston. the suburbs are still near the city.

traffic in austin is pretty bad... i don't know of many growing cities that don't have that problem, though.

go visit for a long weekend...

As I stated ealier Austin IS NOT JUST FOR COLLAGE KIDS. Its not just a collage town and honestly its not a town at all. Austin still has alot of charm albiet the city has changed dramatically since the 90's and even before that. Now I agree with the fact that some people here think that there is something so profoundly weird about the city wich in all honestly I don't find it any weirder than any other city

is collage a big thing in austin? i find it profoundly weird that the art of collage would be a point of contention. ;)

austin is a great place to visit. i guess if you're a kid who likes collage, you may prefer to live around others with like talents. i'm sure that houston has a wonderful collage community. i'm sorry, i couldn't help myself.

houston grows on you. it takes a couple years and it's worth it. houston doesn't give herself easily, but once you know her, she's a forever friend. on the other hand, austin, like fair weather friends, lacks substance. IMO.

i've lived in houston all of my life, with the exception of college. i grow more fond of it each year. if someone thinks houston is a frustrating "hellhole", then they should definitely move. i can't imagine how such an unhappy person would behave behind the wheel or in line at the grocery store. :ph34r:

My wife and I are planning to retire soon and move to East Texas as soon as we can. We hate this place. You can have it.

Congratulations on your retirement. I moved to Houston from East Texas (Nacogdoches) about 17 years ago. East Texas was a toilet then and it's worse now. Stupid slackjawwed idiots abound. Despite there being no restaurants, people grow to enormous girths. The radio, local TV and newspapers seem like they were produced 20 years ago (and not in a good way). There is no culture. The Baptists rule. Black people and "folks that ain't from 'round here" are banished from society circles. The pine pollen coats everything in urine-colored mud every year. The red clay stains everything else a rusty, puky brown color. I hate the place. You can have it.

Congratulations on your retirement. I moved to Houston from East Texas (Nacogdoches) about 17 years ago. East Texas was a toilet then and it's worse now. Stupid slackjawwed idiots abound. Despite there being no restaurants, people grow to enormous girths. The radio, local TV and newspapers seem like they were produced 20 years ago (and not in a good way). There is no culture. The Baptists rule. Black people and "folks that ain't from 'round here" are banished from society circles. The pine pollen coats everything in urine-colored mud every year. The red clay stains everything else a rusty, puky brown color. I hate the place. You can have it.

Jeez, man. Your "puky brown color" is really appealing to me. Especially up near Palestine.

Oh, and this...

Stupid slackjawwed idiots abound. Despite there being no restaurants, people grow to enormous girths. The radio, local TV and newspapers seem like they were produced 20 years ago (and not in a good way). The Baptists rule. Black people and "folks that ain't from 'round here" are banished from society circles.

...is culture. I've found that they're pretty helpful. I've only had serious car trouble twice while on the road, and both times I've been rescued by the poor rednecks of East Texas...and both times my mostly-black girlfriend was with me. They didn't seem phased.

I'll take it. One of the really great things about living in East Texas is not having to endure "enlightened elitist nabobs" like you, who think they're better than everyone else. I'm really glad you feel the way you do. Maybe it'll help keep you away. Do all of us a favor and just don't come to east Texas anymore. It's a much nicer place without you.

you can get a good place in a good area for under 200k. you'll be in the suburbs, but austin isn't like houston. the suburbs are still near the city.

Actually I live in 4 bedroom 2 bath house deep in the heart of South Austin. I have alittle more than half an acre of land for my lot in a nice quiet middle-class neighborhood, only 4 miles from downtown and my property is worth 114K. In fact most houses in this neighborhood are between 100K to 125K. So its not true that you can't get a house in within the city of Austin under 200K.

is collage a big thing in austin? i find it profoundly weird that the art of collage would be a point of contention. ;)

austin is a great place to visit. i guess if you're a kid who likes collage, you may prefer to live around others with like talents. i'm sure that houston has a wonderful collage community. i'm sorry, i couldn't help myself.

houston grows on you. it takes a couple years and it's worth it. houston doesn't give herself easily, but once you know her, she's a forever friend. on the other hand, austin, like fair weather friends, lacks substance. IMO.

Bach, shame on you for picking on someone who has obviously never been to COLLAGE ! You are such a hardass ! :lol:

Actually I live in 4 bedroom 2 bath house deep in the heart of South Austin. I have alittle more than half an acre of land for my lot in a nice quiet middle-class neighborhood, only 4 miles from downtown and my property is worth 114K. In fact most houses in this neighborhood are between 100K to 125K. So its not true that you can't get a house in within the city of Austin under 200K.

What neighborhood do you live in that has half-acre lots and inexpensive homes?

I live just south of Ben White 290/71 a few blocks away from South Austin Hospital.we are considered part of the Southwood Neighborhood District though IMO we are seperate than Southwood. The yards in this neighborhood are quite large for today's standards but this neighborhood was built in the 40s and 50s. Property values are not over-extreme, and are quite affordable for middle class families. Infact most of our new residents are young couples that either are expecting or just had their first child. Its a very quiet neighborhood and you pretty much know everbody who lives within a 2 block radius.

Archived