what are the advantages and disadvantages of living in Austin?

Samsoner

I live just south of Ben White 290/71 a few blocks away from South Austin Hospital.we are considered part of the Southwood Neighborhood District though IMO we are seperate than Southwood. The yards in this neighborhood are quite large for today's standards but this neighborhood was built in the 40s and 50s. Property values are not over-extreme, and are quite affordable for middle class families. Infact most of our new residents are young couples that either are expecting or just had their first child. Its a very quiet neighborhood and you pretty much know everbody who lives within a 2 block radius.

Ah, ok. When you said the "heart of S. Austin", I took it to mean the neighborhoods further to the north. Vicinity of Oltorf between about Lamar and Congress...that's where my mind went.

• 1 month later...

I don't know anyone in Austin, but I've visted twice since living in Texas (Dallas). IMO, Austin was fun and vibrant and without a doubt the most attractive of Texas' large cities. My sister, who thinks Texas cities are the ugliest places on earth, loved Austin and thought it was funky and beautiful. The next time she visits me, she's already said we have to go to Austin again. I don't know what the advantages and disadvantages are of living there, but I will say of all cities in Texas, Austin is the one I've heard the least negative comments from people visiting or living there.

I live just south of Ben White 290/71 a few blocks away from South Austin Hospital.we are considered part of the Southwood Neighborhood District though IMO we are seperate than Southwood. The yards in this neighborhood are quite large for today's standards but this neighborhood was built in the 40s and 50s. Property values are not over-extreme, and are quite affordable for middle class families. Infact most of our new residents are young couples that either are expecting or just had their first child. Its a very quiet neighborhood and you pretty much know everbody who lives within a 2 block radius.

South of Ben White is not the heart of Austin. It's South Austin. Yes, you can get a place in South Austin for pretty cheap.

Um I beg to differ as somebody who was born in Austin and who has lived here all his life, North of Ben White is South Central, South of Benwhite is South then you go past William Cannon and its called Far South Austin. The Heart of South Austin has changed as the city has grown further and further out. Where I live now is pretty much the center of the Southside. 4 miles from downtown. Right inbetween South First and Manchaca. Now origionaly yes the Heart of South Austin was basically around South Congress to Oltorf area and culterally it can still be called the Heart, but Geographically its further south now.

I think we're on the same page. I was talking about the areas south of Ben White (Stassney, William Cannon, etc). I realize that the areas north of Ben White are very much like the inner-Loop Houston areas like "The Heights" and Montrose--older but still hip 'hoods for young professionals.

And the Westbury/Meyerland comparison certainly wasn't a knock; just pointing out that those areas in "Far" South Austin are similar in that they've matured now and are no longer those new grouth 'burbs of the 70s. I have family who live just of west of Mopac and south of Stassney. They bought their home in 1984 and it was about seven years old then. The neighborhood looks almost identical to some of the neighborhoods along Blackhawk Road in SE Houston (except with fewer palms and more hills :) ).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What industry are you seeking jobs in?

Austin is great for technology; I worked at Dell and Applied Materials for a while, and there are many more regional headquarters there. For financial services, on the other hand, it's a dry well. I ended up moving to Dallas just to keep my career on track.

Just remember that a city of Austin's size is not a leader in every sector simultaneously.

Oh, and the traffic is horrible. You have a choice between living on the outskirts and conducting a pilgrimage every day, or living central and pay your left testicle.

Archived