Houston We Have A Problem

Trae

SF To Be Named U.S. Finalist For 2016 Olympics

POSTED: 4:00 pm PDT July 17, 2006

UPDATED: 6:17 pm PDT July 17, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

San Francisco will be named a U.S. finalist for the 2016 Olympics, NBC11's Raj Mathai exclusively reported Monday.

San Francisco will be one of two, possibly three finalists for America. Los Angeles will also be named a finalist, Mathai reported. Chicago could also be named.

Houston and Philadelphia were two of five original candidates that will not earn finalist spots, Mathai reported.

A U.S. Olympic Committee spokesman, Darryl Seibel, said Monday evening the elimination of Houston and Philadelphia from the pool of finalists is not official, saying the committee has not ruled out any of the five cities.

An official decision could come within the next two weeks, Seibel said.

When U.S. Olympic Committee Chairman Peter Ueberroth visited San Francisco on May 18, he said the committee may not even advance a U.S. city to hold the 2016 Games.

San Francisco has never hosted the Olympic Games.

The city competed for the 2012 summer games but lost out in the domestic competition to New York City. New York City, in turn, lost in the international competition to London.

NBC11's Raj Mathai will have more on his exclusive report tonight on the NBC11 News at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m.

You are right about that. A summer olympics here would probably leave a bad impression. Like we need more bad press. Now we can be less concerned with what others think and get back to what is good for Houston. Hey, we have some awesome developments in the Rice Village, Downtown parks and high density retail/residential, more lightrail, a central multimodal station on the books, and countless other large-scale things. And, the Space Shuttle came back with a successfull mission. Houston is doing good.

Not that I care, but from what I get from that article is that Houston and Philly havent even been ruled out yet, it's just some reporter from what I presume to be from SF hoping that Houston and Philly don't make the cut.

But maybe I am wrong?

No official decision yet, although the USOC is supposed to issue its report in the next 10 days. I wouldn't be surprised though. Maybe that's why they are making announcements on redeveloping the Astrodome.

Not a big loss, however. I'm not sure the city could afford it, and the Olympics are probably of dubious long-term value.

No official decision yet, although the USOC is supposed to issue its report in the next 10 days. I wouldn't be surprised though. Maybe that's why they are making announcements on redeveloping the Astrodome.

Not a big loss, however. I'm not sure the city could afford it, and the Olympics are probably of dubious long-term value.

I heard something slightly different...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4068576.html

I can see why Houston would be eliminated. Name recognition is Houston's only weakness against the other four cities, and apparently that's what this Wednesday hack-down will be based on. If we're NOT eliminated, it says a lot as to how far Houston's name has come...

DUH! I told y'all in the beginning Houston don't have a chance. DUH!! But nooooo, nobody don't listens to semipro on here and I don't care, cause I'm always right on here.

I was right about everything that I've posted on here since last year.

REALIZE THE SEMIPRO! I NEVER TELL YOU WRONG.

Let's start developing the Astroworld plot NOW!

DUH! I told y'all in the beginning Houston don't have a chance. DUH!! But nooooo, nobody don't listens to semipro on here and I don't care, cause I'm always right on here.

I was right about everything that I've posted on here since last year.

REALIZE THE SEMIPRO! I NEVER TELL YOU WRONG.

Let's start developing the Astroworld plot NOW!

Yes Semipro, your posts are always informative, well thought out, and very insightful. Keep up the good work. :wacko:

I had no expectations whatsoever for the Olympics to be held in Houston. I was pretty blase about the whole idea from the beginning and never gave it much thought. Needless to say, I'm neither surprised or upset.

Besides, the Olympics aren't the big deal they once were. The last several Olympics garnered its lowest TV ratings ever.

Now the winter Olympics, we've got a shot. :rolleyes:

Besides, the Olympics aren't the big deal they once were. The last several Olympics garnered its lowest TV ratings ever.

There's a reason for that, though. The last Olympics since Atlanta were held in Sydney and Athens, and the times that they were showing the events live in the U.S. were probably not conventional. Next one will be in Bejing, meaning live events will probably be shown in America around 2-3am, which doesn't help. Perfect case in point is the World Cup. The 2002 World Cup final was in Japan and shown in Houston around 7am. The 2006 Final was held in Berlin and shown in Houston live at 1pm. Ratings for the final were reportly up over 200% (interest grew as a result).

I HOPE we at least are still in the running after Wednesday, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if the USOC and IOC have ANY common sense or not...

I had no expectations whatsoever for the Olympics to be held in Houston. I was pretty blase about the whole idea from the beginning and never gave it much thought. Needless to say, I'm neither surprised or upset.

Really? Then, I wonder why they are saying the 2004 Athens Games were the most watched games ever?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/at...athens-tv_x.htm

In the United States, 203 million people watched at least some of the games, a record for any Olympics held outside the country. NBC's coverage ranked as the top program every night of the week, while NBC's cable channels attracted more than 60 million additional viewers.

Funny we should mention him. There happens to be an article showing that he is suffering quite a bit at the polls.

I'm sure they will do just that.

BOT, though.. I hope that we're not out of the running, I think we have alot to offer the olympic committee.

Yeah.. its official now.

USOC drops Houston, Philly from running

The U.S. Olympic Committee eliminated Houston and Philadelphia as candidate cities for the 2016 Olympics on Wednesday, leaving San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago in the running for what many consider to be America's best shot in years at landing a Summer Games.....

Guest Plastic

Houston not getting the Onlympics is just a given.

As I told you earlier this year Houston has close to no shot and San Fransisco will probrably get it.

For us The Pan American Games, Goodwill Game, and Soccer World Cup is about all we'll get.

Houston not getting the Onlympics is just a given.

As I told you earlier this year Houston has close to no shot and San Fransisco will probrably get it.

For us The Pan American Games, Goodwill Game, and Soccer World Cup is about all we'll get.

The World Cup coming back to America would be bigger than landing the Olympics, but the U.S. hosted in 1994, so the odds of getting them in 2018 aren't that strong. 2014 will be in South America (most likely Brazil). 2018 will be an international slugfest to host. I think England, China, Australia, and Spain are among countries already getting their bids ready. If the U.S. are to win it, Houston NEEDS to be one of the 10 host cities. Maybe even push for the finals. Reliant Stadium would have the best sitelines ever for a Final match, and we'd have almost 2 BILLION people looking at Houston. Plus by that time, American ratings alone would probably equal Super Bowl ratings depending on how our homeboys do.

I think we need to push for the Pan Am and Goodwill Games. Part of the reason why NYC was able to bid for 2012 was because they hosted the Goodwill. I say we push for both, and hope that America doesn't bid in 2016. L.A., San Fran, and Chicago are not as equiped as most other cities that are pushng for '16, and we speak English. London's already got it in '12. I'm expecting South America to host in '16.

The last winter and summer Olympics were not in the USA. When ever we have one within our state, we usually tune in more. :rolleyes:

The World Cup coming back to America would be bigger than landing the Olympics, but the U.S. hosted in 1994, so the odds of getting them in 2018 aren't that strong. 2014 will be in South America (most likely Brazil). 2018 will be an international slugfest to host. I think England, China, Australia, and Spain are among countries already getting their bids ready. If the U.S. are to win it, Houston NEEDS to be one of the 10 host cities. Maybe even push for the finals. Reliant Stadium would have the best sitelines ever for a Final match, and we'd have almost 2 BILLION people looking at Houston. Plus by that time, American ratings alone would probably equal Super Bowl ratings depending on how our homeboys do.

I think we need to push for the Pan Am and Goodwill Games. Part of the reason why NYC was able to bid for 2012 was because they hosted the Goodwill. I say we push for both, and hope that America doesn't bid in 2016. L.A., San Fran, and Chicago are not as equiped as most other cities that are pushng for '16, and we speak English. London's already got it in '12. I'm expecting South America to host in '16.

I agree.

Guest Plastic

The World Cup is bigger than The Olympics. When did that happen?

And what cities in South America are more equiped than America's?

Houston need s more attractions. Maybe if we build a rail system, an Amusement Park, and a Mall Of Texas the Olympics might happen. For now I biggest problem is image. And the reason don't have one is there's nothing here.

Houston need s more attractions. Maybe if we build a rail system, an Amusement Park, and a Mall Of Texas the Olympics might happen. For now I biggest problem is image. And the reason don't have one is there's nothing here.

Lemme break this down...

When Italy won the World Cup, how did the country react? The country partied in the streets (they're probably still partying). Now, how did Italy react when they won a gold medal in any event? Exactly. I don't know either.

We love the Olympics because it showcases all the major world sports. One CITY hosts the event, the games show pictures all around that city for 2-3 WEEKS, the tourism is high for that city, and the two highest ratings for the games are not even athletics. It's the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Every CITY wants to host it.

Compare that to the World Cup. The entire COUNTRY hosting it gets showcased. Name one Olympic event other than the Opening or Closing ceremonies that gets more ratings than ANY World Cup match. Tourism is high for that entire country for an entire MONTH. At least 10 cities showcased. The Olympics does not have the power to stop wars, start riots, or change the world by winning the gold. The World Cup has done all that and more. How are the Olympics bigger?

First three cities in my mind would be Rio De Janerio, Sau Paulo (Brazil), and Buenes Aires (Argentina). I'd love to go to Rio for the Olympics.

We're building a rail system, we have the Galleria, and we once had Astroworld, and that didn't help any. We have plenty. That's why we were considered as one of 5 U.S. cities that could host the 2016 Olympics in the first place. Our city's problem is that the world generally do not know who we are. It's not our attractions that are Houston's problem. It's the fact that we don't have enough media. We have news, but we don't have as many movies and t.v. shows filmed here as L.A., San Fransisco, and Chicago do.

Guest Plastic

And why do we not have an image ............cause we have nothing. Las Vegas,Los Angeles,CHicago,New York,Miami all have lots of things to do there which is why they have images.

And why do we not have an image ............cause we have nothing. Las Vegas,Los Angeles,CHicago,New York,Miami all have lots of things to do there which is why they have images.

I thought we had the image of being the energy capitol.

Archived