EZ-TAG question

aosman

I am planning to get an EZ-TAG from HCTRA. I heard that the new EZ-TAGs are stickers.

My question is, when I pass through an EZ-TAG lane, would it work if I just hold the sticker up? I don't want to stick it to the windshield.

Good question. Probably so. I just put one on my mother-inlaw's car. It's a plastic sticker with a metal strip membrane & smart chip embedded. Once you peel the plastic off, the membrane is exposed (but still encased in a thin layer of clear plastic).

One way to find out is to get it, drive through a toll-plaza (unmmanned of course & with no one behind you) and see if the gate raises.

My question is, when I pass through an EZ-TAG lane, would it work if I just hold the sticker up? I don't want to stick it to the windshield.

I read a news report that the sticker uses the windshield as part of its "antenna" and needs to be attached to the glass. I don't know if that is true, but I would suggest more investigation before using the loose sticker approach.

I read a news report that the sticker uses the windshield as part of its "antenna" and needs to be attached to the glass. I don't know if that is true, but I would suggest more investigation before using the loose sticker approach.

if your reason for not sticking it is so you can swap it to different vehicles, i think they are dropping the "rental fee", so it would not cost you any more to get a tag for each car.

if your reason for not sticking it is so you can swap it to different vehicles, i think they are dropping the "rental fee", so it would not cost you any more to get a tag for each car.

The sticker itself costs $15, but you are correct that the rental fee will stop.

The sticker itself costs $15, but you are correct that the rental fee will stop.

ooops. yep you would still need to buy a tag for the vehicle.

the security deposit and rental fee are no longer required.

so...i wonder if it WILL work without sticking it to the glass?? :D

maybe you could do like i used to do to my parking sticker in college and suction cup it to the windshield. you might have to expose the chip so that it touches the glass if it needs to touch it for an antenna. i dunno if i believe that though.

Well, the reason I don't want to stick it on the windshield is because I still did not move to Houston and I won't for at least five more months. I need to keep it with me everytime I fly down and use it in the rental car. I don't like going throught the full service gates as they are very sloooow!

Also, I would like to have the option to drive on Westpark if needed.

It won't make since for me to get one now if it is not going to work by just holding it up. If someone tried it and they say it works, I'll get one now.

I doubt that's true because then it wouldn't work on most motorcycles. It sounds like propaganda from HCTRA to keep people from doing exactly that - not sticking them.

I have an old one that is velcro'd. This way if someone else decides to drive, and doesn't have an EZ-tag, they can just borrow mine for the night. Works great for Designated Drivers!

I doubt that's true because then it wouldn't work on most motorcycles. It sounds like propaganda from HCTRA to keep people from doing exactly that - not sticking them.

from the hctra website:

Motorcycles require a specialized EZ TAG due to climate conditions associated with motorcycle use.

also looks like they have another option for rental cars:

PlatePass.com has arrived in Houston! PlatePass enables you to enjoy the speed and convenience of high speed non-stop toll road use while renting a vehicle throughout the United States

What ? Oh Yeah, I forgot "GLASS" has a high frequency capture capability, NOT. If HCTRA said that, it is just a ruse to make people have to buy multiple tags , they like the whole one tag one car theory. So, Max is right, I would investigate a bit more.

I like the whole license tag cover one. People were reportedly getting pulled over because it obscured the word Texas on the plate some. If you turn it upside down on the plate, nothing is covered, HELLO ! :wacko:

I think the best way is to just cover your plate with a cheesecloth or kitchen towel, and RUN THROUGH the tollways. But HEY ! That's just me. :lol:

Actually, you can get a TxTag instead. It seems to work on all the HCTRA roads (where the EZ TAG works) and there is no sticker cost or monthly rental fee.

As many here surely know, the EZTags also work on Dallas toll roads. I would assume they are going to work on the new Austin toll roads as well. Anyone know if that will be the case?

Well they had just formed some sort of organization/business in which it will work on ALL Texas toll roads, I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure alot of it will be available on their website, though.

As many here surely know, the EZTags also work on Dallas toll roads. I would assume they are going to work on the new Austin toll roads as well. Anyone know if that will be the case?

the txtag works in Austin, i have a friend who is using it there.

and aosman, even if the sticker works by holding it up, you can be fined for using it on the wrong vehicle. they actually do check, i know people who have been notified for using a single eztag on multiple cars.

and the txtag site also claims the same as eztag, that it will not work if its no on the windshield. i haven't tried it yet. my friends prefer holding it up because they don't like the way it looks, i'll let you know when one of them tries holding it up.

I didn't know EZ tags had the fees associated with them. This perhaps explains the long lines at the toll booths around Houston. I believe the Dallas Toll Tags are still free and you can use them all around Houston. The Toll Tags do not need to be stuck to your windshield, but I do think they complain about only using them in the assigned car. For what it's worth, I loan my spare toll tag out all the time and have never heard any complaints.

TX Tags don't sound as nice as Toll Tags because from what I've read you have to manually keep them filled which would be a pain.

Jason

TX Tags don't sound as nice as Toll Tags because from what I've read you have to manually keep them filled which would be a pain.

From the TXTag website:

"AutoPay is the easiest way to keep money in your account. With AutoPay, you set up your TxTag account to charge a credit card automatically when the funds in your account get below a pre-set threshold value. There is no fee for this safe and convenient service."

Archived